1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Na-28!!!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Greektim, Aug 4, 2012.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Who is to say Joj is correct. I think I can place my trust in Mac. Anyway please read my entire post. I was not trying to dis anyone. Sounds like you are picking fight.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any Greek grammar--absolutely any Greek grammar! :tongue3:

You don't seriously think I'm the first Greek teacher to note the mistaken application to the plural nouns in Eph. 4:11, do you?

Try this article, quoting the great A. T. Robertson as saying the GS rule is not for plural nouns: http://www.biblicalevangelist.org/index.php?id=1039&issue=Volume+41,+Number+4.

I could give you many more such links, and if I were in Japan with my library I could give you quotes from a half dozen grammars.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Keep my NA27. :)

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless one is into textual criticism for researching/studies, or trying to translate the origianl languages into another one, is there a 'real need' to keep updating the greek texts everytime one gets released?

is the actual text itself changing, or just the textual sources/varients/appartus etc?

5. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right... it is just an update and change in the apparatus. Though... the text may change slightly w/ the update, study, collation, and application of newly published Mss.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to add here that since my last post a Greek scholar friend has informed me that he thinks the GS rule may sometimes apply to the plural, in particular in Eph. 4:11. So there is not a total consensus among Greek scholars.

A basic statement of the GS rule is that if there are two singular nouns describing a person or persons connected with kai ("and"), with a definite article before the first and not the second, the two nouns are referring to the same person. I'll not derail the thread by giving the technical points made by my friend to say that applying the GS rule to plural nouns is possible. Suffice it to say that there are some out there who agree with MacArthur. My objection to the examples given by my friend (Jn 7:45, Mt 2:4, Mt 4:25, Acts 1:8), are that they refer to two groups or locales being treated as one, but MacArthur's position is that pastor-teacher is one office, not two being treated as one.

My original advice to study the Greek still stands. As a preacher friend recently said to me, to him reading the Bible in English is reading it in black and white, while reading it in Greek is like reading it in color. :type:

#26 John of Japan, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  7. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

John,

I apologize for I am way over my head on this topic. I'll look before I leap in the future.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, no problem. :wavey: Discussing the Greek grammar is something I truly enjoy (weird, huh?), so thanks for the chance.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the pastor is also seen same as an Elder in the NT , would say that it just makes sense that pastors would be gifted also as teachers, as that would be their primary "job", to equip and build up the flock assigned to them by jesus!

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, part of the job of a pastor is to teach. However, to eliminate the separate position of teacher is, IMO, not what Eph. 4:11 is saying. Otherwise, if we are pastor/teachers, why would Paul be telling Tim to be "apt to teach"? But this would make a good separate thread.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like an interesting topic!

Would say that all pastors should be gifted to teach the bible, but not all teachers gifted to be pastors!