1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NAACP wants action against racial graffiti

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by monk, Nov 21, 2008.

1. monk

monk New Member

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

The blog does a good job of illustrating one of several problems with hate crimes.

That having been said, I hope authorities find, and nail, the vandals.

3. monk

monk New Member

Thanks for your feedback.
    And I too think they should nail them.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

The students have been found and identified as noted in this link:

http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/112008-obama-graffit

From the link

The key here is what William Barber said above, is the free speech or hate speech and how do you tell the difference? Racism is bad ok I am not defending racism. But we still have racists in this world. Are they allowed to express themselves anywhere? Is even the "free expression tunnel" off limits to that much freedom?

What if instead of racism we were talking about other ideas. Ideas that homosexuality is a sin or and unborn child holds an immortal soul. Are we free to express those ideas?

Bottom line-I don't like what these students did but unless there were posted rules defining free speech and specific prohibitions for what they wrote I don't think anything should happen to them. There was an expectation here that freedom of expression was allowed.

Before the masses open up on me answer me this, if they had painted shoot whitey in the head instead the n**** would your outrage have been the same? If not who is the racist?

#4 North Carolina Tentmaker, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  5. monk

monk New Member

NC Tent Maker Said:
    Before the masses open up on me answer me this, if they had painted shoot whitey in the head instead the n**** would your outrage have been the same? If not who is the racist?

I think any threat or call to violent action should be dealt with regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.