1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

naming after Jesus

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chipsgirl, Jan 25, 2005.

1. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I know in South and Central America it's fairly common to name your son Jesus. Why is that not the case in America? Do you think it's a religious or cultural difference? Or, do you think it's just wrong to name a son Jesus?

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In English-speaking cultures I would assume it is seen as somewhat blasphemous. Jesus is the English version of His Greek name. The English version of His Hebrew name - Joshua - is OK, since we usually associate it with the Old Testament character.

3. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I thought in South and Central America his name is still Jesus, just pronounced differently.

4. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    right - but in their culture it is not blasphemy, but an honor.
    I still wouldn't name my son Jesus. It just seems wierd.

5. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

It would seem weird here I think.

6. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

I think it's a cultural issue. To me, naming a child Jesus would be setting them up for a lifetime of failure...just as surely as naming a girl Grace garuntees she will be clumsy! ;)

7. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I just couldn't do it!!! The only person I would want in my life named Jesus would be my lovely Lord Jesus!!

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Have you ever noticed that half of the time when a crime is committed and reported on the news, that the offender's name is Jesus or Angel?

Is this coincidence or divine justice? [​IMG]

I won't be naming my child Jesus, in English, anytime time soon. I do have a female cousin named Angel, in English, though. She has yet to be arrested, so maybe it's only the male versions of the names. :D

9. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Well, you do live in Texas. I think those names are just a tad more common than they are here in Tennessee.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The American version of Jesus is Joshua. Joshua is a common enough name.

Cultural. Some cultures derive their names from Greek origin, such as Spanish and Castillian. While rare in English, it is not uncommon. There was a singer some ways back names Jesus Jones.
    Yeshua, Jesus' real name, was a rather common name in his day. He certainly wasn't the only one with the name. There's certainly nothing inappropriate with naming a person Jesus. Now, if you named them Adolph or Elvis, that would definitely be a sin!!!

11. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The name I always thought was humorous for a man was Joseph and Mary - yet one of the best Spanish golfers is Jose Maria Ola... (wont even try to spell his last name. Every once in a while I run into a Joseph and Mary.

Jesus is a very common hispanic name in this part of the world. Do you remember the Cubs shortstop back in the 70s Ivan DeJesus, he was the first in my memory with the name Jesus

12. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

The hispanic reagon is heavily catholic who most often do not consider jesus to be the son of God or dont hold him as high as marry. So it is a caultural thing but i dont think those who name there children Jesus are doing it in blasphimy.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Catholics don't believe Jesus is the Son of God? As much as we often discuss problems we have with Catholic doctrine, that's a new one. It simply ain't true.

Now, back to the topic, the fact that the hispanic name "Jesus" (hey - soos) is common has nothing whatsoever to do with Catholicism. This is evident by the fact that other cultures that have been heavily influenced by Catholicism don't have the same rate of children being named so. There aren't many people names "Jesus in the Philippines. There weren't too many Germans or English naming their children "Jesus" prior to the Reformation, that's for sure.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'd rather name my boy Jesus than to have him named Judas!!!

15. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

My nomination for the "Poor Taste" award has go to a newspaper ad I once saw in a west coast paper way back in 1967.

In bold letters it proclaimed:

J - E - S - U - S
    S - A - V - E - S . . .

Then, it went on (in much smaller print):

at Community Savings & Loan.

The picture immediately underneath it (as its caption explained) was of one of their branch managers welcoming one of their newest account holders--an Hispanic man whose first name was...you guessed it...Jesus.

16. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

"Catholics don't believe Jesus is the Son of God?"

I said... "most often do not consider jesus to be the son of God or dont hold him as high as marry"

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

This statement is untrue and....

[​IMG]

18. Jippia

Jippia New Member

I would not name a child Jesus. The name of Jesus is also commonly used as a curse. I would be afraid that the boy was going to be teased by his schoolmates just because of the name we gave him at birth.
    I know that in Spanish speaking countries the name Jesus is given as a honour and also that the parents hope for their child to show the cháracter of Jesus as well. This is an important reason for naming a child, boy or girl, after a certain person in the family or saint or, in this case, Jesus. In Southern European countries this way of thinking is very common.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

Mirjam

19. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

"This statement is untrue and....
    Off topic" - I Am Blessed 16
    Are you talkin to me??, its definatly not off topic and is true to some catholics.