1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Naming names

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Internet Theologian, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Sound it out 'Pay Pull authority'....'Payyyyy Pullll authority'. Get it?

2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Sorry have never been nor would I ever be a Catholic. The Pastor I grew up under was saved out of that religion and became a baptist. He was totally against all the Catholic Church represented. So too was my Dad saved out of Catholicism and he too was very well versed on what thwey taught and taught me the truths of scripture as opposed to the Catholic ways. I saw plenty of what the Catholics believed from my Grandmother and dad's side of the family. Believe me it is no joking matter to insinuate that someone is an ex catholic who isn't and who knows what their religion stands for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not and never have been a Catholic, but I understood the reference to ex-cathedra (Latin: from the throne).

You style yourself as "revmwc." I just assumed the "rev" indicated a man ordained to the ministry which, to me, presupposes at least some formal theological education. My first year of Seminary included "Comparative Religions" that outlined what the various other religions taught, including Catholicism and its teaching of "ex cathedra" pronouncements being authoritative.
    Please! Nobody insinuated any such thing. All that was implied by the humorous post was that the readers actually knew something about the subject matter. I guess that must have been an unreasonable expectation. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The short answer (your welcome in advance) is that we do not equate a forum fellowship with fellowships we are members of. If the issue is in one's actual congregation, I am pretty sure that some of the behavior that we see at times would not be how that person would act at church.

This forum, and all forums, have to be distinguished from the Body of Christ herself, and kept in that context. And this forum, like all forums, has rules.

So trying to draw a parallel between forum fellowship and fellowship among believers who congregate, not to debate, discuss, and argue Scripture, but to worship God. To fellowship with other believers.

Two different worlds, and only one of them was established by God.

So let's keep it real, and in perspective.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with this 100% for those times that false doctrine is the primary or singular issue. Sometimes, however, it becomes necessary to sound out warnings because the individual is not just a false teacher, he is a bad man. Those who would steal life savings from a retired couple. Those who would use their position for immoral reasons, etc., I have no problem at all calling them by name.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

At least the terminology. I have had an extensive study of the History of the church, The Baptist and even religion itself with my schooling, I never remember seeing that term or hearing that term. Not sure where it came from. That shows us we need not assume that someone knows what a specific term means.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nor am I going to check with everybody on the thread before I use commonly understood terms. If somebody doesn't understand a word I use, and doesn't know how to Google it, all they have to do is ask for an explanation. I will gladly give one. However, to make baseless accusations claiming somebody implied something they didn't imply based on the reader's failure to understand, is beyond the pale. (That is an old term that means "outside the bounds of acceptable behavior.") :D :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Just as many have misunderstood my common southern terminology in many post. Or maybe it the Texas terms that keep folks from clearly understanding the meaning of what is being said. Fer instance I was raised is common term in the Texas for the way some folks us I was reared in other parts of the country (that is America, the USA). Common uses of area rather than uses of common terms. Let me throw out some more, I am fixin to get off of work, would be foreign speaking for those from up North that say I am so going to be off from work. Common terms are sometimes common to some and not common to others.

#48 revmwc, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  9. Internet Theologian

My OP had nothing to do with nor was it conflating forums with houses of worship. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I took this...

...to mean you disapproved of the thread being closed.

And I did miss the true intent, so again, sorry.

I'll just say that if one does call out someone, they should make sure that it is a legitimate complaint. I would say if we called out everyone (well known) for being in error on something, not sure I could think of anyone that wouldn't make that list.

God bless.

11. Internet Theologian

I guess I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. Firstly it seemed you were lamenting melding church and forums. Now it is that you meant something about the thread being closed instead? I am in non sequitur mode now. :)

As far as that thread being closed, yes, my biblical understanding allows these leaders to be called out. I am in no way an inclusivist nor an ecumenist. Inclusivism is a destructive ideology and many are going along with it. True Christianity isn't; 'You believe what you want to believe, I believe what I want to believe and let's be nice and not call out one another. Instead let's call each other brothers! It's all about sincerity.'

No, no, that is not it at all! We guard the unity, we maintain it, we don't manufacture it, or create it by compromise and coming together in pretense, or by creating another form of unity and calling it brotherly love. It, the unity is already here. It is grounded in sound doctrine and truth; Ephesians 4:3. Note also 2 Timothy 2:20ff. We maintain that and guard it, that unity of truth given to the church.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, think I am going to like this mode...

You know, simply lost interest in this.

Think I'll just wait for your response in the other thread, so I will leave you to your musings in this one.

God bless.

13. Internet Theologian

That was a perfunctory and quick response. You hardly had time to absorb what I stated, you just simply write it off. :)

14. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did. Write it off, that is.

Didn't even read it, actually.

God bless.

15. Internet Theologian

No problem. Be careful, you may have learned something if you did read it. Don't want any of that now do you? :p :D

Actually, there is nothing in it negative concerning you, it's just some biblical explanation on my stance according to the intent of the OP. That said, you were all over the place, first about conflating forums and church, then you changed that and went off into a pretense that you were addressing my disagreement with a closed thread. :) Whistling

16. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, maybe you did read the Gospel According to Jesus...

If you can't comprehend an apology for misreading the OP, you are definitely going to get confused trying to understand MacArthur's teaching.

Let's see this unrelated statement:

Allowed to call them out where?

Who are the ones called out before?

Give me a break, lol.

God bless.

17. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a very polite person in Other Denominations you could ask about that.

I'd be very interested in his answer.

God bless.

18. Internet Theologian

I must have missed an apology for misreading the OP friend. Where was it? My apologies for not seeing it.

Now, back to the OP. You may want to also comment on the post you said you didn't read. I hope it to be a blessing to you. It is where I stand and make a stance. I believe you would too, especially if you agree with John MacArthurs stance. :)

19. Internet Theologian

Friend, from personal experience the fact remains that one can dig up official stances of the RCC and discuss them, document them, only to have those within her deny their veracity. I'm not interested in being in the throes of that deceit. One mentioned the church doesn't teach praying to Mary. I provided many documents from her leaders that did teach it. They still denied it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, maybe you did read the Gospel According to Jesus...

If you can't comprehend an apology for misreading the OP, you are definitely going to get confused trying to understand MacArthur's teaching.

Doesn't change the fact that you mentioned the thread being closed, so assume it related to the forum/s as well isn't a far stretch.

God bless.