1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NASB Top Grain and Nelson Signature Series

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Balion, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balion

Balion New Member

I'm looking at some nice bibles and saw a couple that seem to suit my fancy. I would like to know if anyone has either and what they think.

NASB Top Grain (CALFSKIN) In Touch Ministries edition (Charles Stanley)

Nelson Signature Series editions (Calfskin)

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Balion, I have neither of those Bibles you mentioned. However, I have found from my own experiences, that those editions which come with the really expensive bindings may hold up a little better when used extenively or exclusively. But for general use, and especially if you often use more than one Bible, then I think the more economical bindings should fulfill your needs. I do much of my Bible reading and referencing online these days, and I have yet to wear out a Bible with a bonded leather cover. And some of my Bibles were purchased in the 1970s and 1980s. Twenty to thirty years isn't bad.

3. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Almost all of mine are hardback....I just spend the ten bucks for a bible cover, and they have lasted fairly well for me too.

4. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    During a weak moment (i.e. intense temptation), I purchased a Nelson Signature Series Slimline NKJV. This was probably 4 years ago. From a quality perspective, the binding cannot be beat and it does come with a lifetime warranty. I have no complaints about it, as a product, whatsoever.

Would I have purchased it today if given the chance? No. I used it for about a year and then switched to a different translation. I have to agree with the comments made already, don't waste your money on a top grain leather bible - today's bonded leather (ie. the glue/polymers that they use to bond the leather) will out last genuine leather.

Some other things to think about:

1). In Nelson's case, although the leather binding was very good, the text size and quality were not always good. For instance the more expensive Signature Bible looked like it had been photocopied.

2). Make sure that the size and weight of the bible are going to be usable to you. The NASB Top Grain is a large and bulky bible. Is it something you want to be carrying around with you? In my case, I have opted for slimline or thinline versions since they fit in my briefcase better.

3). In the case of the Nelson signature leather, it is very supple. While it feels good in your hand, it is rather awkward to carry around in a briefcase since it does bend easily. I ended up putting it into a bible case just to carry it around.

These are just my two cents. You are talking about spending a large amount of money here. I hope that my mistakes can be learned from ;)

Lastly, you might want to check Ebay before making any purchases. There are several Christian bible and book sellers that have very good deals. I have purchased several bibles from Ebay and have paid considerably less that what I would have retail.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would loudly protest the thought that a modern bonded leather binding will out last a genuine leather bible. No way, no now, not ever. I have had both and the bonded leather shows wear in about a year and begins to fall apart in about three. That is if you use that bible exclusively. If you just need the translation and aren't going to carry it around, save the money and get a hardback or better yet get e-Sword.

I have the NASB bible and the ESV bible in the top of the line leather and they are well worth the money in my opinion. I went with the larger ESV bible because it has a concordance and cross-references, which since I don't have the bible memorized is helpful. It is my main study bible and the one I preach from. The NASB is great as well, but there is yellowish ting to the paper that you don't notice until in my case I put the ESV next to it. Also, it does not have any cross reference but it does have a concordance. I don't care for the NKJV so I don't have an opinion about that one.

I don't mind carrying the larger bible, I need the larger print for reading and it is great for waving around while I spit and foam at the mouth while preaching.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by "fall apart"? The cover or the binding?

That isn't necessarily typical of NASB's or even the same ISBN of NASB's. Paper stock is graded in brightness, color, weight, composition, and a few other lesser technical points. Chances are the yellowish color is by design or for cost considerations.

BTW, I work in printing and binding.

7. william s. correa

william s. correa New Member

Printing and Bindig what?

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I deleted some off topic posts and responses to them.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fall apart is in reference to the binding is the first to go in a bonded leather bible. In the genuine the binding is done different, I don't know the specifics, Scott would have to enlighten us on that one.

The yellowish ting, is not bad, just something I noticed. Some who have aged a bit and need a little help seeing tend to like the really bright white background for reading. And again I didn't even notice it until I but it next to another bible.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Books of various types. We haven't printed Bibles. Our printing equipment isn't ideal for those stock weights. But I am familiar with printers who do print Bibles.

We run the full gamut of binding types. Softbound, hardbound, stitched, and mechanical binding.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It probably has more to do with the binding machinery, adhesives, and the company that did the binding than the cover material itself. Some cover material can be more difficult to use but the adhesive are usually the critical factor.

Unfortunately, there is almost no way you can pick up a book and know these things. If you complain to the publisher, they'll stomp on the toes of the printer though. That's about the only way to get info back to them.

Bible printing is for the most part a low margin business segment. A few large, long run companies dominate the market. I would guess that RR Donnelly prints more Bibles than anyone. Interestingly, I saw Bibles being produced at the same time and in the same Donnelly plant as Madonna's perverse book.

12. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I am convinced that leather binding is the only way to go. I have 3 bonded leather Bibles and they are about 20 years old and I have had to cover them with clear contact paper and in some cases tape pages back into them. I have a leather one that is 10 years old and it doing well. BTW--my wife asks me why don't I retire the old worn out ones to the shelf. I said I hope that is not your plan with me. :D It is hard to let my old Bibles just sit there, they feel so good in my hand. Someday I plan to give them to my grandkids----if I ever get any!!! [​IMG] ;)

Bro Tony

13. Convicted by the Spirit

When my great grandparents died I ended up getting all their Christian books and bibles. One biblie in particular I really wanted. That bible was made from bonded leather. the bible was only like 12 years old, too me it should have held up a little better. Huge chunks of pages have fallen out and the cover looks pretty rough. In this case I wish they had bought a leather bible, but I will still enjoy it any the less.

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Sure, leather is the way to go, then when you wave your Bible around you can make some PETA folks mad at the same time. :D

15. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Scott, I have a 1630 (something--can't remember the exact date) very large German Luther Bible. The leather straps are long gone, but the binding is still holding. It is very delicate; however, but what do you expect for a few hundred years.

I wonder if it had a life-time warranty? :confused: [​IMG]

16. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I think you are blessed to have that heritage CBTS. I am glad you are walking in it today.

Hey Phillip, I am a member of PETA!!!!

People Eating Tasty Animals [​IMG] :eek: :D

Bro Tony

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I'll take mine medium-rare. [​IMG]

18. Balion

Balion New Member

I'd like to thank all who commented. I have purchased both Bibles and the quality is jaw dropping. Both are the softest calfskin imaginable. Top quality paper (though the NASB is slightly better here) with smith sewn bindings that will last a life time. They both make my cambridge feel like a cheap bible. The leather is something that has to be felt to understand. They are by far, the best bibles I've ever seen. They are also Lifetime guaranteed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.