1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

National Guard Greeted with Applause and Anger

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by carpro, Sep 2, 2005.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/02/D8CC9VLGE.html

Guardsmen Greeted With Applause, Anger
    Sep 02 2:54 PM US/Eastern

By ALLEN G. BREED
    Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS

Four days after Hurricane Katrina struck, the National Guard arrived in force Friday with food, water and weapons, churning through the floodwaters in a vast truck convoy with orders to retake the streets and bring relief to the suffering.

"The cavalry is and will continue to arrive," said Lt. Gen. Steven Blum of the National Guard.

At the New Orleans Convention Center, some of the thousands of storm victims awaiting their deliverance applauded, threw their hands heavenward and screamed, "Thank you, Jesus!" as the camouflage-green trucks and hundreds of soldiers arrived in this increasingly desperate and lawless city.

"Lord, I thank you for getting us out of here," said Leschia Radford.

But there was also anger and profane catcalls.

"Hell no, I'm not glad to see them. They should have been here days ago. I ain't glad to see 'em. I'll be glad when 100 buses show up," said 46-year-old Michael Levy, whose words were echoed by those around him yelling, "Hell, yeah! Hell yeah!"

"We've been sleeping on the ... ground like rats," Levy said. "I say burn this whole ... city down."

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As they say, "Consider the source."

Those who trusted the Lord were grateful. Those whose greed rules them, were angry. Amazing the power of God to transform attitudes even under such hardship.

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I can understand part of how Mr. Levy must feel. This is one of the larger cities in America, the most important port in America. Within an hour after 9-11, there were thousands of rescue workers pouring into ground zero.

The people of New Orleans couldn't know that communication was totally wiped out all over the city and most of the state, and they couldn't know that the only roads in and out of the city were almost wiped out. They expected immediate help, and had no way of knowing why it wasn't there.

Besides, sitting and waiting and watching your family die from dehydration while you are in your home town --- and you know you have the most powerful army in the world ... well.... that's hard to believe.

I'm sorry for his language, but I won't fault him for his frustration.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, but this is also true!
    Can't help but think from BOTH the disaster AND spiritual perspectives;
    "There but for the grace of God, go I!"

5. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

How right you are. Most of New York was unaffected by 9-11. On the other hand, ALL of New Orleans was affected. The major conduits of relief were destroyed: roads, communication, fuel, etc.

The extent of the devastation is proving very difficult to put the rescuers where they need to be. The military normally is not needed in hurricane relief, but as we have all seen, this was no ordinary hurricane. Remember too that most folks fared the hurricane okay, it was only after the levee broke that problems started.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's hard to excuse boorish behavior even under these circumstances.

I think it's an outward display of the entitlement mentality of a great many Americans, maybe even a majority.

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And one of the key factors that is contributing to the demise of this once great & proud nation.