1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nations University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by webdog, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Doh!!! I totally misspoke out of turn. I was thinking of Nation University, not Nations University. DETC is a valid accreditation organization. I had confused them with the DECA, which is an accreditation mill. Sorry about that!! Please consider this a retraction of my previous posts. I totally gooffed big time!!

Here's the skinny on DETC:
    http://distancelearn.about.com/od/accreditationinfo/a/DETC.htm

Regarding nations, I can speak firsthand about the difficulty in obtaining a degree from am unaccredited school My wife received her bachelor's from an unaggredited Christian university, and was unable to transfer to a master's program. Her school eentually became accredited, but an accreditation does not make an unaccredited degree backwards-accredited. She ended up having to enter a program at a Christian university which would only accept her bachelor's work after her school became accredited. The cost of her tuition was double that of a master's program at a local state school.

So if Nations (or any school) becomes accredited prior to one's graduation, then there's no worry. But if you receive your degree while the school is unaccredited, you might face certain issues in the professional and post-secondary realm. Even if a school is accredited, a degree won't be accepted by many unless it is also regionally accredited. For Nations, it means being accredited through SACS as well as DETC.

#21 Johnv, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2009
  2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Thank you for your humility and honesty, brother.

As far as the transfer or acceptability of the degree for other uses, this is of course a prime concern in seeking an unaccredited degree. I was personally admitted to Liberty University Master of Divinity program on the basis of my Nations degree: and I know several others who were accepted at Liberty, or other Regionally Accredited Schools, as well. This, however is no guarantee, and I encourage people to try such inexpensive alternatives at their own risk.

But: all of this is a separate issue from the "diploma mill" issue. A diploma mill is not a school whose degrees are not accepted: it is a school who requires little or no actual coursework for a degree. This definitely CANNOT be said of Nations.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I concur. I was thinking of Nation University, not Nations University. I had a family member that got bitten by Nation University several years ago. Again, sorry for the confusion in my misspeaking.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This is a very interesting topic in and of itself. I may start a thread about this.