1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Nativity' Booted From Ill. Holiday Fair

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Martin, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " A public Christmas festival is no place for the Christmas story, the city says. Officials have asked organizers of a downtown Christmas festival, the German Christkindlmarket, to reconsider using a movie studio as a sponsor because it is worried ads for its film "The Nativity Story" might offend non-Christians."

This is odd.

Is our society now so weak that we are worried about offending people? Don't get me wrong. They have the perfect right to show, or not to show, any movie they wish. However the reason they are not showing this movie simply strikes me as strange. If someone is so weak that they get offended over a movie about Christ's birth, a historical event, then they need to re-examine their lives. Why are they that weak? Why are they emotionally unstable? Nobody has ever been harmed by hearing about Christ's birth, seeing nativity scenes, or reading about Christ's birth. These people, who are offended, are simply weak.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061128/D8LLRK9O0.html

Rob
    [/FONT]

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

So what happens when you take Christ out of Christ . . . ?

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Man, they give bureaucrats a bad name!

I assume they're trying to forestall some fool suing them, I don't know.

5. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

This should win the award for most idiotic statement of the year! A Christmas festival is no place for the Christmas story.... PLEASE!!!! [​IMG] What better place for it people!

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If this event is privately funded, then I don't see the problem with allowing the display.

There was a similar brouhaha last year in Denver, when the organizers banned religious floats, carollers, etc. from the annual Parade of Lights. After a fuss was raised over it, they changed the rules for this year.

7. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

I'm beginning to think there's a class action suit here for utter stupidity! People fear ACLU lawsuits, but surely not to this extent.

8. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Actually, they are closed-minded, inconsiderate, selfish louts who can't stand to be left out and yet won't be part of this crowd. If they can't have fun, no one will. Frankly, they are mean.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Well, stupidity, even combined with meanness, is not illegal.

It doesn't have to be ACLU, it could be anyone. It's possible that they've been bitten by lawsuits before.