1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Natural Selection or Intelligent Design?

Discussion in 'Science' started by jcrawford, Nov 27, 2004.

1. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

I would like to explore the concept of natural selection in terms of intelligent or created design and will use the following link as a reference point for any discussion. My theses will be that the concept or notion of natural selection is best understood and explained as an intelligently designed and created system.

http://anthro.palomar.edu/synthetic/synth_7.htm

Hope ya'll enjoy the thread and that we may have a robust discussion if not an enlightening debate.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Agree! Apparently 6 Day creationists don't think God is smart enough to design an evolving system.

3. RTG

RTG New Member

Genesis1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made,and behold,it was very good.And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.Why would a perfect God create something as imperfect as evolution.I think our God got it right from the start,behold it was very good!

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

You may think that God's creation is "imperfect." But I don't think many people will agree.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

I personally think that this universe including natural selection is wonderfully designed system.

One problem 6 dayers have is thet they can't understand that Paul's statement, "The universe groans," Rom 8:22 is hyperbole. God's curse was very specific abd limited to farming, work, and pain in human child birth.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Bill, I believe that if God had chosen to create the heavens and earth through evolution, He would have told us so.

Jeremiah 5:21 'Hear this now, O foolish people, Without understanding, Who have eyes and see not, And who have ears and hear not: 22 Do you not fear Me?' says the Lord. 'Will you not tremble at My presence, Who have placed the sand as the bound of the sea, By a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass beyond it? And though its waves toss to and fro, Yet they cannot prevail; Though they roar, yet they cannot pass over it. 23 But this people has a defiant and rebellious heart; They have revolted and departed. 24 They do not say in their heart, "Let us now fear the Lord our God, Who gives rain, both the former and the latter, in its season. He reserves for us the appointed weeks of the harvest

Isaiah 40:12 Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, Measured heaven with a span And calculated the dust of the earth in a measure? Weighed the mountains in scales And the hills in a balance? 13 Who has directed the Spirit of the Lord, Or as His counselor has taught Him? 14 With whom did He take counsel, and who instructed Him, And taught Him in the path of justice? Who taught Him knowledge, And showed Him the way of understanding? 15 Behold, the nations are as a drop in a bucket, And are counted as the small dust on the scales; Look, He lifts up the isles as a very little thing.

Job 9:1 Then Job answered and said: 2 "Truly I know it is so, But how can a man be righteous before God? 3 If one wished to contend with Him, He could not answer Him one time out of a thousand. 4 God is wise in heart and mighty in strength. Who has hardened himself against Him and prospered? 5 He removes the mountains, and they do not know When He overturns them in His anger; 6 He shakes the earth out of its place, And its pillars tremble; 7 He commands the sun, and it does not rise; He seals off the stars; 8 He alone spreads out the heavens, And treads on the waves of the sea; 9 He made the Bear, Orion, and the Pleiades, And the chambers of the south; 10 He does great things past finding out, Yes, wonders without number. 11 If He goes by me, I do not see Him; If He moves past, I do not perceive Him; 12 If He takes away, who can hinder Him? Who can say to Him, 'What are You doing?'

Psalms 8:3 When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,

Psalms 147:4 He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name. 5 Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite. 6 The Lord lifts up the humble; He casts the wicked down to the ground. 7 Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving; Sing praises on the harp to our God, 8 Who covers the heavens with clouds, Who prepares rain for the earth, Who makes grass to grow on the mountains. 9 He gives to the beast its food, And to the young ravens that cry. 10 He does not delight in the strength of the horse; He takes no pleasure in the legs of a man. 11 The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him, In those who hope in His mercy.

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Do you think, that if God had chosen to create all matter out of atoms, He would have told us so?

Why do you think that's different than evolution, and what is your scientific/scriptural basis for thinking so?

8. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Not necessarily, DV! Consider this verse:

Prov 25:2
    2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.
    KJV

Maybe our nationally funded science investigations fulfill, today, the "searching out" of things ascribed to "kings" when democracy was yet unknown.