1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nazis and Calvinists

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Winman, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

First, this is not a thread designed to attack Calvinism, although it will. It is a serious discussion.

This thread is in response to comments Iconoclast made about me in another thread.

There have been persons who say that Calvinism leads to a certain type of mindset that led to atrocities in the world, such as the extermination of the American Indians, and the Jews in WWII.

Erich Fromm, in his book Escape from Freedom wrote that Naziism could not have arisen without the influence of Lutheranism and Calvinism.

Other writers have pointed out that the extermination of the American Indians was due primarily to the Puritan or Calvinist mindset of early Americans who considered themselves "The Elect", while the Indians were an inferior "heathen" race that God did not love and should be eradicated.

That I am not making this accusation up out of thin air, here is some evidence that this idea has been around for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL6qXAttD0o

http://www.beingryanbyrd.com/2009/0...-calvin-tony-campolo-and-logical-conclusions/

http://the-porters-lodge.blogspot.com/2009/09/rhetoric-matters-justifiable-homicide.html

Again, this is not an attack thread, but I do believe that Calvinism has led to a certain mindset that leads to racism. When you believe you are elect and loved by God and that others are not elect and hated by God, this can be acted out.

This thread will probably be shut down real quick, but folks should think about this for a moment.

#1 Winman, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Here is another article that supports that Calvinism leads to racism.

http://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/history/files/vol3/BlakeWilliams91.htm

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

This thread has no good value. It should be shut down.

4. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Any idea can be abused

The problem with this is that Calvinism in no way logically necessitates these kinds of conclusions...

ANY idea or thought-process (even a correct one) can be miss-applied.
    HINT:
    Even if it weren't for Calvinism....than another set of excuses would have been made for this.
    I have no doubt that there were plenty of people who used (or misused) Calvinist notions and even Biblically-sound notions in order to justify what they knew was wrong. I, in fact, have an extended family member who uses similar justifications for some insanely similar beliefs to this day. Simply put, he is miss-applying the ideas and they provide nothing but a convenient excuse for his wicked notions. If that particular individual weren't a "Calvinist"...than he would simply generate a similar set of excuses for his ideology. This is nothing new. But it is in no way a defeater of Calvinist soteriology.

I am sure there were plenty of "Arminians" who found their own justification for any wrongs and atrocities.

However, Naziism and it's Philosophy is STRAIGHT out of Darwinism...It was justified based on Darwinism and quite frankly, Naziism is nothing more than Darwinism taken to it's logical conclusion.
    There is no correlation whatsoever between "Manifest Destiny" or any of those examples and Naziism.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A agree; nothing good. Not going to let another thread like this to just start hate-spewing to continue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.