1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Apr 19, 2006.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I am a firm believer that sound basics will generally win out over skill. Having said that todays athletes are quicker and stronger but not as solid in their basics. Very few of todays NBA players can make a crossover without carrying the ball and no one can drive the paint without traveling or changing their pivot foot a couple of times.

Therefore if you give me the refs of yesteryear and the players of yesteryear I think our chances of winning are just fine.

CC / Zoro you forgot to put your little 'z' at the end of your statement. Touche [​IMG]

Convicted self confidence is not selfishness. You all have convinced me I'll never cheer for Kobe again..... NOT hehehe

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Maybe it's just semantics, but I think a better term than skill would be athleticism. Doing the basics is a part of having a skill.

:confused:

I don't understand what that's supposed to mean.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I do not know a player that can make it into the NBA that is not self-confident.

But Kobe is way more than self-confident. Kobe is selfish any way you slice it. [​IMG]

4. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, after a scare last night, I think the Spurs will regroup and play much better even on the road against the Queens. Everyone have their brooms ready?

5. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

CC, I don't know how to do the quote thing so I'll just cut and paste.

"Thjplgvp, I want you to know that I am praying for the Lakers.

I'm praying for them to get swept."

Zoro alway leaves his little 'Z' after after he humbles his adversaries as a reminder that he got the last word so to speak.

6. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Maybe it's just semantics, but I think a better term than skill would be athleticism. Doing the basics is a part of having a skill.

Athleticism would have been a better choice of words.

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Phil thought Kobe was unselfish...

"I just told him to take advantage of opportunities in a situation like that," Coach Phil Jackson said. "I don't think I ever used the word 'passive,' but I do think that he's looking to feed his teammates first, he's looking to pass first and shoot later. In this game, I want him to carry the threat."

Bryant, for his part, said he would continue to stick with the strategy — pound the ball down low to Kwame Brown — and aim for a better personal shooting effort.

"I think we'll stick to the game plan," Bryant said. "The shots that I got in Game 1 were very makeable shots for me. I got some very good looks, I've just got to put them down."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-lakerep26apr26,1,1555988.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

8. PastorSBC1303

Well I have to admit Kobe has looked like a different player the first 2 games of this serioes. Maybe he is seeing the error of his ways. If he keeps playing like this, the Lakers may have a shot at knocking the Suns off.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Kobe led the Lakers in points, boards and assists. Very impressive. That takes care of my prayers of a Suns sweep. ;)

10. Convicted by the Spirit

I agree

11. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Unfortunately because I work a late shift and they are West coast games I have not been able to see any of the games. Hopefully that will change Friday night.

I also agree this is a big step for Kobe as he places the ball in others hands and finds that they can complete the task he will learn (forgive me) like Jordan did, when to take over a game and when to just let it flow and come to him.

He and Lebron at this point are are the East coast West coast arch villains whom everyone will look forward to seeing their ultimate clash in a playoff environment. Though probably not for a couple of years or more.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Hats off to the Bulls for their great win against the Heat. They held Shaq to 8 points!

I am also surprised by the Pacers in how they are handling the Nets.

13. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

I look forward too two great TEAMS playing and not two great players playing. After all it is a team sport.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree. I don't know why some people don't like the idea of another Detroit/San Antonio finals. They are two great teams that actually play like teams and don't rest on one or two individuals to win for them.

Some people just like the mass market appeal of flashy stars like Kobe and Shaq, but personally I will watch a team effort before those guys any day.

15. Convicted by the Spirit

When I think of team basketball my mind always wonders back to the movie "hoosiers"

"don't shoot the ball without four passes"

today we get Iverson/Carter/Kobe coming down and doing a few fancy dribbles and shooting a tough fade away. The ball could have been worked around for an easier shot or a more open player.

4 passes I tell ya.

16. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

4His, daughter has been getting us tickets for the suite that her company has (PPG, Pittsbugh Paint and Glass). So far though she hasn't gotten any. Says she is going to hold off for the finals. Next time you get too the Palace check out the suite. It is lower level half court. Bout as good as seats as your going to get.
    I love my daughter. ;)

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree. I want to see the great passes made in transition, I want to see forwards swing the play to the other side of the floor where a man is open, I want to see the kick out to a perimeter man who shoots the three. Team basketball is where the game belongs.

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Wow! Those are nice seats!! I have never been to a playoff game, and probably will never, and if I do, it certainly won't be in a suit. But that is great- i hope you can make it to the finals!

(Now the Pistons haters will say we are assuming to much :D )

19. PastorSBC1303

As much as it pains me to say it, I don't see anyone keeping the Pistons from the Finals. Now I do think the Spurs and the Mavs can beat them in the finals. Should be fun...

It would be awesome to see a finals game!

Now if I remember right, if the Spurs and the Pistons make it to the finals ole KenH and Tim got a bet going, correct?

20. PastorSBC1303

It was good to see the Bulls play well last night.

What was up with James Posey blindsiding Kirk Hinrich? That was a classless move. I hope he gets suspended.