1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NBA Trades

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Feb 22, 2008.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Gasol to the Lakers

Shaq to the Suns

Kidd to the Mavs

Ben Wallace to the Cavs

Kurt Thomas to the Spurs

Will any of the moves make a big difference?

Anyone paying attention, anyone care???

2. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

I'll give my take on all of these:

Gasol to the Lakers: This is a great move for the Lakers, as has already been seen. Gasol is a legitimate low post scorer and he is a decent defender. When Andrew Bynum returns, the Lakers will probably have the best 4/5 combo in the league.

Shaq to the Suns: Though he played well in his debut, I don't think this will last. At this point in his career I have serious doubts that Shaq can keep up the energy level that is required of the Suns. The other option would be for the Suns to change their game plan when Shaq is in the game, something that would hurt team continuity. On the other hand, Marion was leaving after the season, so at least the Suns got something for him.

Kidd to the Mavs: I don't get this move. Devon Harris is a great young point guard who will probably only get better, while Kidd is a liability shooting the ball (though he still is a good PG). And the Mavs didn't just give up Harris, they gave up other role players on the team, draft picks, and cash. I think NJ won in this trade.

Ben Wallace to the Cavs: I like this move. Wallace is a real threat as a low post defender, which the Cavs could have used last year in the Finals. This move seems geared toward making Cleveland competitive against the West.

Kurt Thomas to the Spurs: The Spurs had one problem prior to this trade -- they were getting old. Well, Thomas is old and somewhat injury prone. I don't understand this deal other than getting another body to lean on Shaq and Bynum.

Here's how I would rank the deals:
    1. Gasol to the Lakers
    2. Wallace to the Cavs
    3. Kidd to the Mavs
    4. Shaq to the Suns
    5. Thomas to the Spurs

Gasol going to LA makes them the team to beat in the West -- that's the bottom line.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm going to go with the many of the experts on the BooYah network about how the Lakers have become the favorite to win the West because of the Gasol trade. It's not only that they landed a very good 27 year old power forward just hitting the prime of his career, but that they got him for 50 cents on the dollar.

On Wednesday night, I watched the Suns/Lakers game and witnessed one of the best NBA games I've seen in years. I think Shaq's got a) something to play for now and b) something left in the tank and it showed, even in his first game with them. The Diesel ran the floor, threw it down when he had the chance, and even got on the floor chasing after a ball. I don't know how the West playoff bracket is going to break down, but I can easily see a Suns/Lakers conference championship series, and, should it happen, will be very entertaining.

The Kidd trade merits an "ehhh" from me, because I'm not sure that the problem in Big D was the point guard. We'll see, but this one doesn't make them a favorite of any kind, I don't think. Very good trade for the Nets. They weren't going anywhere this year and picked up an excellent young PG.

I think the Ben Wallace trade will be good for both teams. Ben had become utterly expendable once they drafted Noah, and pretty much didn't give a crap anymore. The Cavs already have an alpha dog who'll get up in Ben's grill if he keeps up the act he'd had in Chicago.

I think the Kurt Thomas trade is a good one for both teams also. Here's what I found so cool for the Spurs side. Brent Barry has already been waived by the Sonics. The Spurs are far enough under the luxury tax that they can sign a veteran free agent for a pro-rated league minimum and still avoid the tax. Since Barry's already been waived...

I think the trades are very defensible on all sides. The only one that isn't is the Gasol trade, but that's not all on Memphis' GM (think salary dump). The teams keep getting smarter and smarter about how to do business and how to win games. Over the last few weeks, the NBA has become more and more compelling, more than it has in a long time.

4. PastorSBC1303

I agree completely, and I am still trying to figure out what in the world Memphis was thinking, LA gave up practically nothing in return for him. The Bulls had been rumored forever to be going after Gasol, and the reports out of Chicago were always that Memphis wanted too much in return.

I said right away that I think this deal makes no sense from the Suns standpoint. I can see the need to get something for Marion before he leaves, but I am still not sure this was the best move for them. Although I must say if anyone can make this work it will be Shaq. If he is motivated (and it appears he is) and if he can stay healthy he can and will be a force. I really like Steve Kerr, so I am hoping this works out for him because this is going to be the deal that his time as GM is graded upon.

No clue what Dallas was thinking here. Although I will say I like the deal better since it does not include Stackhouse and George. But giving up Devin Harris and the draft picks was too much IMO for an aging PG that I don't really think is going to make them that much better, and in fact is going to hurt them in the long run as Kidd and Dirk are not getting any younger.

Wallace can be a real threat, if he wants to be. I am really not sure he wants to be anymore. He looked old and worn down during his time with the Bulls. I really thought it was a good move for the Bulls back then, but I was sorely wrong.

From the Bulls side I like getting rid of Wallace's contract and getting Gooden. He is now back with his college teammate Hinrich and I think he will do well for them. Hughes is a good pick up as well. He is a big 2 guard that plays solid defense. I cannot help but this this means Gordon will be more than likely traded this offseason.

I think you hit the nail on the head in your last statement, he is a body to throw at the Diesel if needed.

I would rank them this way:

1. Gasol to the Lakers
    2. Shaq to the Suns
    3. Wallace to the Cavs
    4. Kidd to the Mavs
    5. Thomas to the Spurs

Maybe, but I am not sold on this idea yet. They are def a big contender, but the West is stacked with so many good teams. You loose a couple games and you can go from 2nd to 7th in the conference standings.

But it should be fun to watch.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Personally, I think the Gasol to Lakers is the real winner here.

Shaq to Suns has potential, but I'm not signing off yet.

Kidd to the Mavs make sense, and I'm waiting to see the returns for the rest of the regular season.

Ben to Cavs, I'm not impressed. Ferry screwed up. If they couldn't get Bibby or A. Miller, they should have kept their current roster, and Hughes seems to be getting his jumper back.

Thomas to Spurs, bravo or that one, but Brent Barry shooting will be missed. Hope Sonics buys him out and he can resign with the Spurs.

Now, that's my take on the whole trading thing. :thumbs:

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Gasol is good for the Lakers I think.
    Shaq to Phoenix was dumb.
    Wallace to the Cavs isn´t going to make much a difference for LeBron and company.
    Kurt Thomas to Spurs- I don´t know.

If Kidd goes to the Mavs that is good for them. He should fit well there.

7. PastorSBC1303

He did, played his first game the other night against NO.

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I did not know that. I have been a bit behind on my US sports news lately. We have ESPN and Fox Sports here but they don´t cover things very well. Even ESPN Sports Center is different- pretty much just goes through all the best goals of the week.

9. uhdum

uhdum New Member

Of all the trades, the one I question the most is the Kidd trade. This seems to be Dallas showing frustration and desperation in trying to win a title. Devin Harris is a talented, young point guard that is going to continue to improve over time.

Kidd, meanwhile, is in the twilight of his career. However, I understand Dallas had to do something to compete with the mighty Western Conference, and their thinking is that Kidd's tenacity and court wisdom will push them to the top, but I'm not so sure. Honestly, I see the Lakers and Suns dueling it out in the conference finals while Dirk and co. face another long summer.

Concerning the Cavs overhaul... what a gutsy move on the part of Danny Ferry. This could end up causing him to be praised for his genius or reviled for his foolishness. One thing's for certain from all this: This is Lebron's team, and what Lebron wants, Lebron gets. Lebron wants new teammates? Okay, let's trade half the team. I like Lebron, but let's face it... if Lebron decides he doesn't like Mike Brown, then they'll be looking for a new coach. I honestly don't remember the last time a player had this much clout and influence for a franchise... far greater than MJ or Kobe ever had, IMO.

#9 uhdum, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Instant favorites in the West now. Great trade...Lakers gave up NOTHING!

Worst of the trades, IMO. He won't do anything but slow them down and make no impact whatsoever in the fourth quarter. Shaq has always been overated in my book. Never showed the desire and heart to be the greatest...and he COULD have been one of the greatest! No "go to" move.

I like this trade...I don't know why everybody here is down on it. They are trying to win NOW, and the window of opportunity is closing. Kidd improves their team.

If he were the only one, I wouldn't be happy, but we also FINALLY got a shooter in Sczerbiak, a REAL point guard in West, and a good power forward off the bench in Joe Smith. Ilgauskas, Wallace and James are the best front in the NBA, and with Verajaeo and Smith, their "bigs" are to be reckoned with. Sczerbiak is a vast improvement over Hughes at the shooting guard. I'm SO glad they were able to move his outrageous contract, he's a me first player who is always hurt. I liked Gooden, but he would have a half dozen "duhhhh" moments on the court...not the brightest player. He could score, but was a defensive liability. I would rather have Wallace's 8 rebounds and defensive presence than Gooden's and day. They also have some expiring contracts and flexibility the next couple offseasons now, and can retool if these 4 new players don't pan out.

They didn't need to make a move, IMO, but this gives an already seasoned championship team that much more depth off the bench.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Pistons 116, Suns 86 One game does not prove a whole lot but it really does look like that Shaq trade was a bust.

BTW any one other than Boston fans think that the Celtics are still the best team in the East? Very quietly and under the radar Detroit has pulled off 12 straight.

12. PastorSBC1303

My first reaction to this statement is no way, but on second thought I am not sure I can think of a better front court.

Shaq, Hill, and Stoudamire in Phoenix maybe?

Rasheed Wallace, Prince and Mcdyess in Detroit?

Garnett, Pierce and Whoever in Boston?

#12 PastorSBC1303, Feb 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2008
  13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I like everyone of these combos before Ilgauskus, Wallace and Lebron.

The Suns have gone 1-2 since acquiring Shaq and they looked particularly bad against Detroit. I remain unconvinced that they would have been better off by keeping Shawn Marion.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...then you don't know your basketball, my friend :)

Shaq, Hill and Stoudamire? Your crazy? Shaq and Hill are washed up, and Stoudamire is no LBJ.
    The Detroit trio is pretty close.
    Garnett and Pierce are only 2/3 of a frontcourt. You would take these 2 over James, Wallace and Ilgauskas?

15. PastorSBC1303

If/when Bynum comes back in LA, that maybe the best frontcourt. Odom, Gasol, and Bynum

If (and that is a BIG if to me) Cleveland really does have the best frontcourt now, then they should easily win a very weak Eastern Conference.

However, I do not see them doing that. Boston and Detroit are too strong.

#15 PastorSBC1303, Feb 25, 2008
  16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

That's true. I don't know anything basketball.

I combined the average season stats of the frontcourts that are under discussion. The results surprised me.

Group A - 35.7 pts, 20.6 reb, 6.3 ast, 2.7 st, 2.6 blk
    Group B - 46.2 pts, 20.9 reb, 9.3 ast, 3.3 st, 3.1 blk
    Group C - 51.9 pts, 22.2 reb, 5.7 ast, 2.3 st, 4.7 blk
    Group D - 48.9 pts, 26.6 reb, 10.8 ast, 4 st, 4.4 blk

If you go by points alone, Group C is best. If you go by points and rebounds, the very slight nod goes to Group D. When you start adding in assists, steals and blocks, the nod does go to Group D.

I remain opposed to saying that a frontcout that has Ben Wallace, who didn't give a crap in Chicago, is better than a frontcourt that includes Shaq and Hill, who may be washed up, but at least care if they win or not.

Detroit was thought to be too strong last year as well.

#16 ccrobinson, Feb 25, 2008
  17. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Lol

I think its all in the headband. Hopefully Cleveland will allow Ben to get his power back by allowing him to wear his headband. With samson it was his hair.
    :tonofbricks:

18. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Spurs season ticket holder just has one thing to say;

GO SPURS GO!!!

I think the addition of Thomas is huge! And I think we will have a healthy Barry back by the playoff time.

Can anyone say, ANOTHER REPEAT FOR MY SPURS?

19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Ive been out of town and missed playing on this thread - first off, welcome back tim toolman - you only seem to show up around nba playoff time, good to see you back.

The western conf in tough - a team that loses three in a row can go from first to almost out of the playoffs - yikes.

LA made a killer deal - I heard that most of the gms in the nba were scratching thier heads over how la go gasol so cheaply!

We will have to wait and see how shaq fits in with phoe - returns are not good so far.

I actually love the dallas deal, of course I am a mffl (mafs fan for life) Dallas has a two or three year window while Dirk is still at his most Dirkness. Harris was ok, but I think he ranked in the bottom half of overall point guard ratings - assists, points and rebounds. Kidd still ranks at the top in assists and rebounds, but low in the scoring (the man cant shoot), but the more he works with, and becomes familiar with his new teammates, the better he will be at getting them the ball where they are the most dangerous. In thier last game, Kidd did score in the fourth quarter when they needed it and he gives Dallas a true leader, both vocally and by his play. He also adds an element of toughness.

tonight Dallas plays San Antonio, hopefully this will be a great game, and a window into both teams chances in the playoffs. Dallas will miss jopp - the center they gave up in the kidd deal, he always played tough defense against Duncan.

The western conf playoffs will be a blast to watch. Any team can beat any other team.

Barring injury (poor houston) the east should come down to boston and detroit - I like detroit there.

20. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a game last night!

I was glad I was able to go. We may see each other again in the playoffs.