1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NBC journalist: It's my job to see Obama succeed

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A media analyst says MSNBC host Chris Matthews effectively admitted yesterday he was an unpaid member of Barack Obama's press office.

Matthews appeared Thursday on MSNBC's Morning Joe with Joe Scarborough and was asked for his opinion about Congressman Rahm Emanuel's initial public reluctance to accept the position as chief of staff for president-elect Obama. Emanuel has since accepted the post.

During the MSNBC interview, a suggestion was made that there might be turmoil within the new Obama administration, but Matthews refused to get drawn into the conversation, instead saying that as a reporter he was unwilling to "question motives." (See YouTube video)

Matthews: "Yeah, well, you know what? I want to do everything I can to make this thing work, this new presidency work, and I think that --

Scarborough: "Is that your job? You just talked about being a journalist!"

Matthews: "Yeah, it is my job. My job is to help this country...because this country needs a successful presidency."

Mark Finkelstein, a contributing editor at Newsbusters.org, believes Matthews is trying to accomplish two things, one being improving his ratings, which have risen the further to the left he goes.

More Here

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I guess here's the way I see it, we can tear Obama down and criticize everything he does or we can get behind him as he tries to fix our economy. I watched a program on fax today where all they talked about is how you don't raise taxes in a recession, his health care won't work and he has no way to pay for all his proposals. Seems to me they were doing all they could to see his fail.

I hope you agree with me that neither is reporting unbiased news...

3. targus

targus New Member

If one does not agree with the course that a particular President is on why would one have an obligation to see that he succeeds in it?

For instance if some President decided that he would like to have a Fedeal law that says that any baby born alive following a botched abortion must be discarded and can not be attended by a physician...

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I watched a program on fax today where all they talked about is how you don't raise taxes in a recession, his health care won't work and he has no way to pay for all his proposals. Seems to me they were doing all they could to see his fail."

No, it looks like they have a handle on reality and question the man's policy.

Got it - if anyone questions his policy/actions they are tearing him down. Seems a lot of things are being redefined. :thumbs:

5. givengrace

givengrace New Member

You mean the way YOU have done our Current President and McCain / Palin?

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

When you and other Democrats did this to Bush, it was called patriotism. I think we are seeing yet again how inconsistent and politically biased you are, not that any of us are surprised by that.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is just one more example of how libs want to shut down "dissent" unless they are doing the "dissenting" then it is patriotic.

8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

He's not President yet. Why not wait and see what course he takes instead of assuming one? Do you want to see America come out of this depression? Then we all need to pull together. There's a very real possibility that GM could go bankrupt and 80% of those questioned said they would never buy a car from a company in bankruptcy. This is really, really serious.

9. targus

targus New Member

LeBuick can you remember who said this?

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say, 'We are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration!'"

Did you agree with this when Hillary Clinton said it?

Do you agree with it now?

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

BTW, I don't think anyone would have ever doubted that Chris Mathews was all about electing Obama. He did not even put up a good front for being objective.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It is, and living in Detroit, I know it all too well. But let's face it ... the problems of the big three are, to a large degree, brought on themselves. The UAW has contributed immeasurably. The constant push for higher and higher wages did not take into account long term issues. There was no way that the wage and hiring structure could be sustained over the long haul, not just for the big three, but for all the suppliers as well.

The UAW and the Big Three are complicit in the present situation and it is a hard swallow to bail them out. However, when this happened to Chrysler in the 80s, Iaccoca succeeded. The problem is that there may be no Iaccoca today.

So it is complex to be sure.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

In your example, that might be a a time to go contrary to his belief's. However, he hasn't gotten to this point yet so we are not at this time.

I think we should all want to succeed since that means WE succeed. However, we do need to nudge him back on course if he gets off track but we need to first give him room to see if he gets off track.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

This isn't his administration. He has yet to take office. He has yet to make a decision as POTUS.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I didn't do it to Bush until his policies were failing. Keep in mind, I voted for Bush. I also didn't call it patriotism, I called it frustration.

15. targus

targus New Member

So as citizens we are required to wait until policy is enacted that we disagree with before we are allowed to express disagreement?

Isn't the time to speak out before the policy has been initiated?

Obama has been telling us for months what he wants to do. I assume that he meant and means what he says.

Why should I have to wait to express my disagreement? That hardly sounds like free speech to me?

16. targus

targus New Member

You like to use the art of nit-picking to avoid anwering the substance of a question don't you?

O.k. How about this then?

We are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any politician.

Do you agree with that statement?

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yes, I agree... I just wish we can give his idea's a chance before we condemn them. We are in a mess and he will soon have the wheel. We can all do down yelling at the driver or we can try and cooperate and have a chance at a good outcome.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

No, we should wait until they are enacted and fail before we call them a failure.

It isn't a failure until it fails.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was this your attitude toward Bush's policies?

20. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

It will be a little too little too late if we wait for him to initiate some policies and laws as the FOCA and watch the program 'succeed' before we voice an opposition.

There are some things we should be shooting down before they catch any wind to soar..... or it will be too late to stop them.

Can you agree?