1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NBS's "BOOK OF DANIEL"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by WHYME, Dec 24, 2005.

1. WHYME

WHYME New Member

I have just been reviewing the preliminary hype or information on the release of the new NBC show "The Book Of Daniel". This is a blatant defamation of the Christian Faith in general and Evangelicals in particular (a personal relationship with Jesus Christ). I have already voiced my dissent to the executives at NBC and urge every brother on this board to do the same.
    The American Family Association has taken a firm stance and more information is available at their web-site. We know the inevitable. but we are still encouraged and instructed to take a stance against such "trash" as this which embraces everything that we as Christians oppose including drug an alcohol addiction. homosexality and "you name it"

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/171/story

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Whyme, you're link doesn't work.

3. WHYME

WHYME New Member

menageriekeeper;
    Type The Book Of Daniel TV Show in your search engine (I use Google).

4. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

TV's New Religious Saga
    'The Book of Daniel' depicts an Episcopal priest hooked on Vicodin who talks to Jesus--with a gay son and pot-dealing daughter.
    By Alan Sepinwall
    Religion News Service

In Kenny's "The Book of Daniel," which NBC just picked up for midseason, Aidan Quinn plays Connecticut-bred Daniel Webster. Daniel is a good minister and a good man, but that's not always enough to deal with his life. He's addicted to Vicodin. His wife, Judith, has frozen inside since one of their sons died of leukemia. His son, Peter, is gay. His daughter, Grace, is dealing marijuana to raise extra cash.

And in moments of great stress, Jesus (played by "Deadwood" alum Garret Dillahunt) turns up--in the passenger seat of Daniel's station wagon, in the bedroom hallway, outside the church--to offer his counsel.

"I recognize there are going to be people who have an issue with a gay man writing about Jesus," Kenny says at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour. He adds, "I'm not making fun of Jesus. I never want to poke fun at religion or at Jesus. These characters are very spiritual people. They believe in God, they believe in Christ as their savior, and I think that's wonderful."

"He's not really talking to a living Jesus," says Kenny. "I think he's in Daniel's mind. We see him because Daniel would like to see him. This is Daniel's personal relationship with Jesus Christ. This is how it manifests itself. He talks to him, this is his way of praying: He's talking to his best friend, his brother, his pal, his partner."

What is Vicodin?
    • Hydrocodone (related to codeine) is in a class of drugs called narcotic analgesics. It relieves pain.
    • Acetaminophen is a less potent pain reliever that increases the effects of hydrocodone.
    • Together, Vicodin is used to relieve moderate-to-severe pain.

As described on BeliefNet http://www.beliefnet.com/story/171/story_17189_1.html
    , these characters are "very spiritual people, believe in God, and believe in Christ as their savior". They struggle with significant issues as did the people Jesus reached out to when He was on Earth. The minister is hooked on a pain killer as was Russ Limbaugh but there's no mention of whether he obtains the medicine illegially as Russ did.
    What's the major issue here?

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It sounds like this show is leading to New Age spirituality and not to Jesus Christ. The author lives with another man in a homosexual relationship and one of his reasons for rejecting the Catholic Church is its stand against homosexual practice. This is about the author's views from the same link as above:
    His statements about Jesus above are exactly what I believed when I was a New Ager (and what a lot of New Agers or "spiritual seekers" [usually the same thing] think today).

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You know...

There are reasons I rarely watch network television, this is one of them. If this guy was straight, white and Christian, I still wouldn't watch. There are some things that should still be held sacred and someone's personal relationship with Christ is one of them.