1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NCAA Final Four

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Mar 25, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh well, another choke job and another loss to Florida. Must be something to win two national championships in the same year against the same school. Hats off to Florida.

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is OSU Florida's little brother now?

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I wouldn't want him on my team. No joke. I see him get outplayed often, by people of inferior size. Dane Bradshaw of UT, who is listed as 6'4 (but I stand eyeball to eyeball with and I'm 6'0) has dominated him more than one game. Noah is easily flummoxed. He is not mentally tough enough to play high quality. If his father were a plumber, we would not hear as much about him. Granted, he fits well on that cast. He does run well, so maybe with better coaching he could be more of a prospect.
    You're right about the Xavier game, but Xavier's mishandling of the game put OSU through as well. And you were at the game when OSU came back on my boys? UGH.....I couldn'tve watched it in person. It was hard enough sitting on my sofa watching it. I try not to think about what might have been, but knowing we blew out Memphis this year makes me think we could've gone to the Final Four, and we beat the national champs twice last year and blew them out once this year. Oh well, water under the bridge.
    Well, this is being discussed in another forum. According to a couple of UK boosters I know, it's already a done deal, and has been. See the forum in question for the particulars of his conrtract and so forth. Interesting.
    I disagree. I think Oden is finally against talent that matches his. Save Wisconsin, who does OSU play that compare to them in the Big Ten? Oden's big OOC matchups came when he was injured, so not much to tell there. Besides, Oden gets away with as many fouls as he gets called for. Again, water under the bridge. Jay Bilas of ESPN actually predicted Oden might come back for one more year.

Last night Billy Packer absolutely sounded heartbroken sometimes as his beloved Big Ten was taking one on the chin. Anyone else notice that?

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Sorry Tom, not buying it. I do not buy the fact that you or anyone else would not want one of the best players on back to back National Championships on your team.

I think maybe you are looking through those orange colored Gator-hate glasses again ... :laugh:

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

I noticed it, and loved it. How many times does that make now that an SEC school has been underestimated? The top-to-bottom parity in the SEC makes for more blemished records, but it also makes much stronger teams.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

At least in 2007...

7. PastorSBC1303

Don't be too down Web, there are a lot of fans out there that would love to be able to say that their school made it to the championship game of both sports!

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, I know, but you have to remember, I live in the "always a bridesmaid, never the bride" city of Cleveland.

"Wait til next year" should be on our license plates...

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a fan of the team Florida beat twice in conference title games this year, I'd definitely trade those losses for OSU's losses.

10. PastorSBC1303

Now don't be stealing that phrase from us Cub fans :laugh: :BangHead:

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Razorback fans are used to it also!

We also have heard the following frequently:

"We were just a play or two away."

"I just feel so sorry for the seniors."

"They just wanted it more than we did."

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'd rather have the two Tennesseeans on the Gators (Brewer from West TN, and Humphrey who lived in Metro Knoxville). In fact, Humphrey's inability to be recruited to UT by Buzz Peterson (read, Buzz's total lack of recruitment of Humphrey) is what sent Humphrey to Gainesville. From there, I'd rather have Horford. Even Donnovan and Vitale said he's better than Noah :) I'd also take Green, then Richard. So while I might take Noah, he'd be my sixth choice from that team. Take him away and Florida still wins the national championship. I've watched this team very closely, even in person, many times over the last three years. Humphrey is their MVP IMHO. If only his dad were more famous....:laugh: Of the ten starters on the floor last night, I rank Noah about 8th or 9th. As I've said though, surrounded by the right cast, Noah is much like Dennis Rodman (To borrow Skip Bayless's analogy). He can play a role. However, he's not as central to their success as some might think.

On another note: has anyone noticed how the media gushed over Oden's performance last night? If I tuned in last night not knowing the score and discerned the outcome of the game based on the heaping praise of Oden, I'dve thought OSU won by 25 points. According to them, not only was Oden utterly dominant last night and not only did he virtually cement his status as the best college center of all time, Oden is also the reason we have full employment, sliced bread, and the spread of the Gospel. This was discussed a lot on some sports talk radio shows in our area today.

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was mocking the Oden fan club (the talking heads) all last night.

Guy 1: Did you see the way he just took control of that cup of water???? I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYONE DO THAT BEFORE!

Guy 2: I'll tell you what. There are only a few guys who can take a seat on the bench that well. Oden is at the top of that list.

Guy 3: Oden is so impressive that even when he's sitting on the bench, he can channel mystical forces to ensure that Conley, Jr. and the rest of the squad consistently make baskets.

Guy 2: Greg Oden: Great center, or greatest center?

14. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Noah and the rest of the Fl. starters were not that highly recruited except for Brewer if I recall. Noah wasn't recruited but by 3 or 4 schools in NY and NJ. Billy said lets take a chance, you can not coach his size or enthusiasm. If I recall what Billy said correctly, Brewer was the number one recruit of the starters but he wasn't in the top 50 or so players in the country.. A few years ago, he said he was going to go for the next tier down, because keeping players one or two years wasn't helping the program. Right after that Tubby Smith at Ky. said he might do something like that, if he did, it didn't work for him.

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Just outta curiosity, has anyone stopped to think if there were and had been a different Final Four in every single year of the NCAA tournament, there would still be almost 70 Div. I schools that were/are Div. I at one time or another, and would have not ever yet participated in it? Just wonderin'!

68 Tournaments equals 272 slots in the final Four. There are currently 336 Div. I schools, if my memory is not failing. That is a difference of 64. Add to that number Utica, US International, NYU, and CCNY, four that I know off the top of my head that were at one time "Div. I" and I have 68, and there are some more, as well. It would take until 2025 just for the mathematical numbers to exceed this number of schools and slots available.

Kinda' puts into some perspective the amazing number of appearances by UCLA, KY, NC, Duke, Cincy, Louisville, Kansas, and some of the other big name programs, don't it?

Ed

#35 EdSutton, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Maybe. However, there's a number of schools that will never, ever, ever get to a Final Four. But you're right. I still think UCLA's dominance in the mid 60s to early 70s is an accomplishment without peer.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

:laugh:

Ya know..the only man that could make the Metrodome a good place is Greg Oden :laugh: That's for you, ANDY T :wavey:

18. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Maybe, that is why you and I don't coach roundball. I can't say to much about him, I've only seen him play 4 or 5 times. Billy has said over and over, that the young man is the one player who keep the team together. For some reason the other players must look up to him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...ap.bkc.florida.donovan.3rd.ld.writethru.0593/

Billy has said he isn't going anywhere. I guess your friends can start looking for another coach, I hope UK don't make the mess out of that Al. did. I guess Fl. came up with some more money or he is waiting for the NBA or maybe he likes Gainesville.

By the way any of you hear of Spurrier's call to where he called the AD (Foley) and said we have turned OSU in to 2nd U. I guess he is still a Gator at heart. His Heisman is still at UF. He does have a way with words, gets under some folks skin.

#38 Bob Alkire, Apr 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well...I do, or at least used to. I haven't coached actively in several years. I coached off and on at the middle and HS level for over ten years.
    There's no question that he's the face of the team. His antics fire up his crowd and make people hate him. However, he's a Rodman. In today's NBA, I just don't know if there's room for that, given the structured influence of the Euros and the playmaking ability of the stars. I like his running ability, but he has too many minuses. Brewer has so many skills, if only he were a little bulkier.

I'll address the Donnovan situation on the appropriate thread.

20. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Tom, I look at him as a NCAA player and not an NBA player. When I look at what a player can do and did in the NCAA has nothing to do with his NBA career or lack of it. I still think Bevo Fancis is one of the best collage players I've ever seen, I was young at that time, but dad(he didn't even like basketball) took us to Southern Ohio to see him play, in such a small place. Pistol Pete is also among the best NCAA players, if not the best that I every saw play and he is the best HS player I ever saw. Was giving a message near Dunn, NC and was leaving to come back to Fl. on Friday and a friend said I had to see him play, we went over to Raleigh or near there to see him. It was well worth the time.