1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NCAA Sweet 16 and Elite 8

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Mar 18, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Who are your surprises? Which games are you looking forward to?
    Here's where we discuss the weekend to come! You gotta love March Madness!

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    USC has to be the big surprise for me. I had no clue they'd whip Texas!

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: NCAA Tourney

Me too!! I had Texas making the Final Four in my bracket at work!:tonofbricks: :BangHead: It's for bragging rights only, but man,it's fun to crow for a while, if is able to do so. I think this may have put me out of the running. I may have to keep my mouth closed for another year....no braggng rights!!:BangHead:

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I thought Texas could make a run. To me the biggest surprise is UNLV. Kruger has done a good job with his team. And what about my Vols? Lose 4 of your top 6 players from last year, and turn around and make it to the round of 16? (ya knew I was going to throw them in here, eh?) :wavey:

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

There are really no surprises so far. It's been a pretty 'chalky' tournament. I agree that maybe the biggest surprise was by how much USC beat Texas. But USC beating Texas was not a huge surprise to me. Shoot, I had USC going to the Sweet 16 in a least 4 or 5 of my 17 brackets. In fact, I have every game right so far, if you merge the right combination from all of my brackets. :laugh:

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yeah, I filled out an alternate bracket - actually my correct bracket. I would be winning our little bracket competition if I'd not made the mistakes on it :(

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

We're devastated on Rocky Top this morning. To have that big of a lead against the #1 team in the country.....I can't talk about it yet :tonofbricks:

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

UT played great for a while. In the paper one of OS players said it looke like the UT players thought they had it won and weren't playing as hard. I don't know if that is true or not. Look at the bright side, UT did better than most folks believed they would this year. If the players stay in school, you should have a good team for a few more years and maybe win the big one.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Some great games so far.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How about that Ohio State game, TomVols? ;)

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's probably going to hurt more when Memphis beats them...

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dream on... :)

The Vol's would have wiped the floor with Memphis.

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We'll see. I'm hoping my bracket comes true: Florida beating Memphis in the title game.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Here we go with more egregious officiating. Vanderbilt just got robbed of the game on a terrible no call by the refs. The referee was standing right there when Green traveled on the last shot. I don't know if there are any Vandy fans among BB members or lurkers, but if so, I feel for you. :BangHead:

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like Vandy, but their loss helped my bracket!

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

What a comeback by UNC! Go Heels!

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

My wife is tired of my sackcloth and ashes. She bought me tix to a Reds' game to cheer me up!

Our defense let down. Our FT woes bit us. But I, too, wonder why Lofton didn't get any calls. SEC's player of the year gets no FT attempts? I know he didn't drive a lot, but come on.

Ohio State played well to come back and win. My hat's off to them.
    Yep. We did back in December.

CCRobinson wrote:
    Amen and amen. I understand the idea of a no-call late in the game - I mean, no way was Oden or anyone going to be called for fouling Ramar Smith on the last play of the Vols-Bucks game - but traveling rules are rules, with no ambiguity. Green hopped, skipped, jumped, played Twister, and lost a game of hopskotch to a 9 year old ball girl. I'm no raging Vandy fan, but I hate to see a team get jobbed (Unless it's a team I don't like) :laugh: Just kidding.

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I was incensed last night during the 2nd game when Billy Packer said that he was Ok with the no call precisely because it was a late game situation. Ludicrous. I understand why certain things aren't called at certain times. Many times, traveling, palming the ball, etc., aren't called because no real advantage is gained by the one who traveled, palmed the ball, etc. I don't agree with this, but I understand it. But, you can't swallow the whistle in that situation, because Green clearly gained an advantage by moving his pivot foot.

As much as I don't want to see Carolina in the Final 4, it would be poetic justice, of a sort, if Georgetown loses. I'd hate to see them get into the Final 4 having been helped by such an awful call.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Are any other talking heads mentioning this?

Packer is such a wierdo. Sometimes he speaks for the good of the game, and sometimes it sounds as if he's talking to hear the blessed sound of his sweet voice.:tongue3:

20. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I have no idea. Seth Davis, who has done a very good job as an analyst, btw, was the first to bring it up. I haven't seen anybody else mention it. I should probably drop it myself, but now that G'town made the Final 4, I probably won't.

:laugh: