1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ND Vacancy; did Spurrier Jump too Soon?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Dr. Bob, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would think a lot more prestige heading to Notre Dame than to So Carolina. S'ppose he has second thoughts?

And think the Utah coach (Mormon) may head to the holy land of South Bend?

2. aefting

aefting New Member

Would that be Mormons and Catholics Together?

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Urban Meyer a Mormon? He has a Notre Dame connection having worked there as an assistant under Bob Davie, who they shouldn't have fired (IMO). I am not yet convinced he is that great of a coach. At Bowling Greeen, he was only there 2 years, not enough time to see if can sustain a program over the longhaul. At Utah he has only been there 2 years, again not enough time to see if he can sustain a program over the longhaul. Yes, he has been a part of major programs, that actually won, but is that enough? I guess ND is going to find out.

Honestly, can you see Spurrier at ND? Can you just see Steve blowing off Father So-and-so when he comes and tells him that the starting quarterback didn't show up to his Philosophy and Ethics class? That would almost be worth paying to see!

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I heard another rumor today on the radio, seems that the Philly head Coach (Andy Reid) - who is also mormon, is thinking about going to BYU!

What a shock that would be - he has one of the top - if not teams in the NFL going to a college program. I could see it in a few years, after McNabb et al are gone, but not now!

5. BillyG

BillyG New Member

Dr. Bob I'm shocked!!! ND better than my fighting chickens.

Spurrier wanted back in the SEC were the big boys play, he would have never accepted the job at ND.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think the prestige at ND is no longer there, at least for the time being. Playing in the SEC is a big step up over ND, even it is at USC. The good thing for USC is that they only have to play Clemson once a year. It keeps those ugly instate losses off their record. :D

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Urban Meyer is apparently going to Florida instead of Notre Dame, by the reports this afternoon. It should be interesting in the next few years, Florida v. S. Carolina.

So, who will be coaching Notre Dame? Butch Davis has said he wants a year off from coaching, but many coaches just can't turn down the chance of a well-endowed school with a strong reputation. Bob Stoops has talked about how tired he is of being questioned about openings, but coaches can be funny thinkers. If he sees another chance to return a program of deep tradition, which has been down for years, back to supremacy, might he at least consider it? Could Lou Holtz prove to be college football's version of Bill Parcells? And didn't he beat USC (Southern Cal) every year he was at ND the first time?

8. DavidFWhite3

DavidFWhite3 New Member

No Dr. Bob, Spurrier did not jump too soon. Being a resident of Columbia, SC I think it was perfect timing.

Now will Spurrier be successful at South Carolina?
    The last guy we brought in talks to God and walks on water. His name was Holtz. At Notre Dame he was one of the most successful coaches in College Football history. He won one National Championship in 1988 and should have been voted National Champ in 1993. At Carolina he was 34 and 37. But what do facts have to do with College Football these days?

Dave

9. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

DavidFWhite3,

Just as the chicken curse hammered Holtz, Woods, Scott, etc., it too will demonize Darth Visor!

Go Tigers

10. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

Dont sell "Darth Visor" short. Florida wasnt exactly a national powerhouse when he got there.

11. DavidFWhite3

DavidFWhite3 New Member

This man understands the truth about football in these parts.

Go Paladins!

12. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Dave.
    You like the Paladins huh? (I love their name BTW). They almost knocked off my Pitt team this year.

I'm still thrilled though that Pitt got Dave Wannstedt for their coach.

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Keep in mind he won the ACC while at Duke before going to Florida. How well has Duke done after Steve?