1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need A Grant For Bible College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Larry Tellier, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Larry Tellier

Larry Tellier New Member

Dear Friends Of Baptist Bible Forum,
    Does anyone know where to look for federal grants to pay for college. I am determined not to incur loan debts to get through Bible College. I am a Janitor for a living, I am not that smart, I only have a GED and I barely passed that. I am poor and am barely making ends meet for myself. Any help with finding grants would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Larry Tellier :praying:

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Larry,

To be perfectly honest, government grants are often not accepted by Christian colleges - for fear of having to meet government quotas (for women pastors for example).

Unfortunately, your best bet is to check with the school you are attending for financial aid.

God bless

Wayne

3. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Larry:

I don't know about other cities, but where I live in Houston there is a College of Biblical Studies that is accredited, and specifically designed for people who do not have a lot of funds. I've known some of the professors over the years, and I can vouch for the quality of the education. You'll get a great education for about the lowest price available anywhere. I know Texas is a long way from where you are, but being a large city without many municipal restrictions, Houston has many, many job opportunites. It also has a relatively low cost of living. So check it out:

http://www.cbshouston.edu/

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Little off topic here, but Humblesmith! Thanks for the link. I was snooping the site and realized the pres. was one of my profs in Bible college. Have made it a habit to say hi to people that impacted my life over the years to tell them thanks.

Your link gave me another opportunity!

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

An great number of us here started school with no money, worked full time jobs, raised families, went to school at the same time. Easy? Nope, bt God is faithful and the blessings and lessons are invaluable.

An old saying goes this way - "Where God guides, He provides." Save enough for one semester, then head off.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some Christian Liberal Arts colleges that have scholarships and government grants, though they seldom are all that large a percentage of your costs. They offer Bible programs, but often are short on the Bible and heavy on the arts. Not that they have bad Bible programs, but they just aren't ministry geared. Many get their BA at these schools then go to Seminary.

C4K is right on the money. I did a number of years of education while raising a family. The Lord called me and I figured if He wanted me, he was going to have to make the way. We paid very little of our tuition through God's provision.

While in school, I knew very few that weren't in a similar situation. The only time the Lord didn't provide was one time when the situation forced me into a Baptist school from an independent school. The shift was very good in my spiritual life and the provision for the new school was made just an hour or two after it was too late to register for the independ. school :thumbs: His timing is much better than mine!

7. Karen

Karen Active Member

One of the first things to do would be to narrow down some possibilities of schools you would like to attend.
    Then contact each school's financial aid department and contact admissions counseling.

Usually, one of the first things you have to do is file a FAFSA. A federal form on which schools and/or the govt. base financial aid awards and grants. It is based on your last tax return, or that of your parents and you, if you are still a dependent on their tax return.

Perhaps you can take some classes at a junior college that are basics and that would transfer in to somewhere else. You should still fill out the FAFSA for junior college.