1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

need a little help with this

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by donnA, Feb 11, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I need some church history. What I need is the formation of the catholic church, real facts, not Peter as first pope. Need some links please, not RCC sites.

2. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

This issue is very complicated. I don't know how possible it is to pinpoint a starting date. When would it be considered to have begun? When there was first a bishop over Rome? When the Roman bishop was first given authority over the other bishops? Etc.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Yes, thats what I've been finding in my research I had hoped I just wasn't find the good sources of information.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    After Emperor Constantine became the first Christian Emperior (some ? if its a genuine conversion) in about 325 or so, Christianity became the religion of the Roman Empire. Constantine immediately divided the empire into the east and the west.

The capital in the west was Rome. The capital in the east was Constantinople (modern day Istanbul Turkey).

With relative peace, the "church" began to hold "councils" to answer questions of doctrine. The bishops of the major cities, (Rome, Antioch, Ephesus, Alexandria, and others) and respected leaders from all areas, were making the decisions.

Over several hundred years, the bishops of the capitals consolidated their power, through politics and use of force.

The east became the Eastern Orthodox Church, and kept services in Greek. The west became the Roman Catholic Church, and translated scripture into Latin (Jerome's "Vulgate" at about 400).

At some point, I don't know when and I don't remember his name, the Bishop of Rome declared himself to be the Pontifus Maximus or Pope (Supreme Priest of all religions). He also declared he found a deed from Emperor Constantine that left control of the Western Empire to the Bishop of Rome (it was a forgery, of course).

From that point on, the Bishop of Rome used the force of the government to enforce his decisions on the people.

I hope that helps get you started on looking at the history of the church.

peace to you:praying:

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

wow, buy does it get me started. I've only found a little bit of that while searching. Like bishops, every district had bishops and had one they chose themselves to be over the others, kind of for accountability it sounded like. There was no one central figure who leader of the church, and of course Rome had many bishops, none were leader of the entire church. I also read that some history written by church historians in 1st and 2nd centuries was rewritten or rather had words twisted out of context by the RCC to support their version of history.
    Thanks you've added a lot, and give me some leads for searches.

off topic,

Oh by the way,, see I have the short list of favorite words, has nothing to do with the meanings or anything, only how much I like the sound of the word, and my #1, I almost never hear,

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thanks Ann, one of my favorite christian sites, I've been trying to search there, going to keep working on it.

8. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I looked at the link furnished by annsni and it looks like an anti-Catholic site, which is fine if you are looking for information to slam Catholics. Then I did my own Google search and came up with this http://history-world.org/a_history_of_the_catholic_church.htm which seems to be quite scholarly, objective and detached in its approach to the subject. In fact, so much so that I have bookmarked it for future reading.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

The site Ann gave is a christian apologetics site. I've known of John Ankerberg for probably 15 years or so. Used to watch his show when we had it is our area.

Thanks for the link I'll read it too.

#9 donnA, Feb 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008
  10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Addressing Your Aside ...

I like the word "Mesopotamia" . It was said that George Whitefield could move the multitudes just by saying this word in his particular style .

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Didn't know if it was odd having a list of favorite words or not, glad to hear it isn't just me.
    Favorite #2, amsterdam