1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

need a new computer?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Dale, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Dale

Dale New Member

check out the new Mac Mini from Apple. Finnally an affordable Mac. It is only $499 and it is designed to work with standard monitors, mice, keyboard and printers.

It is tiny at only 6.5x6.5x2"

It come with great software and is virtually immune to viruses and spyware.

If you would like to know more about it let me know.

Here is the web site for it:

www.apple.com/macmini/

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I saw that when it was released just a few days ago. I think it will pretty much revolutionise the computer world! Just like the IPod did to the MP3 player market!

3. Dale

Dale New Member

Yes, it addresses so many of the previous drawbacks to owning a mac. Since it is designed to be used with all industry standard peripherals (as all Macs are these days) and it is very low cost.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, you should check out the iLife suite of programs that come with it, a truly amazing suite of software.

4. Dale

Dale New Member

Hereis one picture of it...

[​IMG]

5. Dale

Dale New Member

Here is another that really shows just how small it is.

[​IMG]

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Why won't they just put a regular VGA connector on those things? But at that price, I might be inclined to give a Mac a chance.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Can someone tell me why I would need a megaphone to use a Mac? I did see that they have the VGA adapter included ;) . But it doesn't look like it has any audio input, anyone know?

8. Dale

Dale New Member

Yes, it does come with a VGA adaptor.
    Actually I have seen many new PC video cards that come with the DVI port and the VGA adaptor.

AS far as the audio goes, I think that is the biggest drawback to this unit.

The best bet is the Griffin iMac which costs about $30. I have one to use with my laptop and it is great, much better quality than normal sound cards. It is a tiny little USB audio device that as both in and outputs and works with macs and Windows without drivers.

9. Dale

Dale New Member

They seem to have a sense of humor with their product descriptions. For instance, with the new iPod shuffle, it is smaller than a pack of trident gum so they compare the two for size and on the bottom of the page it says "gum not included, do not eat iPod shuffle" :)

10. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Yeah it's cool but it's a mac. Not a fan. I love gaming and it seems like mac is always just a little behind on getting the games I like.

11. Dale

Dale New Member

Yeah, Mac gaming is awesome, once the game come out. It is just that as you said, they usually come out for the Mac some time after the windows version.

It is too bad though because it is an awesome gaming platform. The first time I ran Return to Castle Wolfenstein on my iMac it blew me away.

For a lot of people though, they just get a Playstation and a Mac. I wish more developer would make the Mac versions sooner though and actually it is slowly but surely getting better, the Mac is selling really well right now and the developers are taking notice and a lot of great new software is coming out.
    Of course for me, I use all of the iLife programs which has nothing like it on the PC so it is just the opposite for me. iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes...all great programs.

12. Dale

Dale New Member

I understand completely what you are saying and I know it is true but I always get a kick out of that statement because the other argument is always that Mac aren't "serious" computers, or that they are "toys" lol.
    I have a a few old games that I play on my PC but when I want to get work done I get on my Mac. :)

By the way, I do a lot with multimedia so I fit into the Mac's stong points. I mostly do audio but I am dabbling in a bit of video now. Done a bit of Flash, web design...
    Anyway...:)