1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need A True Explaination of Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Pastor Timothy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Calvinism

calvinism is a man made religion, we are no longer in a religion, but in a relationship with God. Being in Christ freed us from religion and into a relationship with God.To enter is to trust in Jesus not your own understanding and He will direct your path.
    God can not be put in a box and sold to men.

We have a fire in us and His name is Jesus and men like to put it out.

People like pink try to change the word of God like meaning of world to thier own understanding and does not trust in the Lord and what He has said.

You don't have to be a calvinist to be His, just trust in Jesus and let Him lead you.

Hebrews 7:18The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19(for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

Proverbs 29:25
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.

#21 psalms109:31, Mar 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2007
  2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Webdog,

I will gladly back any of my statements the best I can. This is part of a debate. But for one to just post words with no support is no debate at all. It means nothing.

If you want me to back up my claims, and I will not, you can call my statement a strawman....for wild claims mean nothing with no support.

I hope I have never done this. Yet I know it could have.

But when you post something..and others ask for details...and you say no way. What would you call this?

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry, I missed where the op was looking for debate. I thought he was looking for information.
    Sticking to the OP :)

Oh, and in regards to the op, Pastor Timothy, follow the "how dare you" thread going on in the general baptist discussion for a darker inside look into what calvinism is, or rather, can lead to....
    :tear: God is Love, right James?

#23 webdog, Mar 17, 2007
  4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

indeed God is love.

Being that you brought this up..

and you posted this...

What do you mean by..."darker inside look into what calvinism"
    Are you saying what pinoybaptist posted is the darker view? Are you also saying this does not show Gods love...when you asked...God is love...right james?

What do you mean..."can lead to"?

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Webdog, If the OP was looking for an explanation of Calvinism, then you hijacked the thread by posting stuff from that website. That is not a true explanation of Calvinism. BTW, Webdog, I don't think Pinoybaptist will claim to be a Calvinist. If I recall correctly (and pinoybaptist can correct me if I have him confused with someone else) he is a primitive baptist who rejects Calvinism because Calvinism believes that faith is necessary for salvation. In other words, he rejects Calvinism just as you do, but unlike you, he understands what Calvinism teaches about duty faith.

Pastor Timothy, Over the past several years, Webdog has shown us that he does not know what Calvinism really is. I and others have had countless experiences with him and he simply refuses to let Calvinists define their own belief. The posts of Russell55 and JArthur will be very helpful to you in understanding soteriological Calvinism regardless of whether you end up agreeing or not. As I often say, I have no problem with what another believes about Calvinism or Arminianism, but please at least know what they say for themselves.

#25 Pastor Larry, Mar 17, 2007
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pastor Timothy, Pastor Larry has on numerous occasions been less than honest about what I believe, as he has done here. He doesn't explain "what calvinism teaches" when called out, but will continue to tell others that they don't know what calvinism teaches. He does this constantly with anyone who doesn't agree with him (unless they are a calvinist who believes regeneration precedes faith). It's quite comical, as you can see by the dishonest statement of me hijacking your thread.

BTW, Pastor Larry, I didn't hijack this thread. He asked for an explanation, and I gave him one from outside of the TULIP box. Regardless of whether you agree with it or not, or even think it's untruthful and heretical, that is you opinion only. He didn't only ask for calvinists' definition of what calvinism is, so you have no right in stating I hijacked his thread. Calvinism isn't infallible. You have hijacked his thread by coming on here to troll, to cause conflict, and to speak down to me, as I have come to expect.

BTW, I have never seen Pinoybaptist reject calvinism. Hyper calvinism has the word calvinism in it for a reason.

#26 webdog, Mar 17, 2007
  7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

If this is so, then why have you failed to point it out? I have been able to give clear documented evidence that you have been dishonest about what I believe. But everytime I ask you for evidence that I have been dishonest about what you believe, you fail to give it.

Of my 16000+ posts, the majority are probably explaining what calvinism teaches.

No I don't. I do it with anyone who doesn't know what Calvinism teaches. I don't care whether you agree with me.

But he wanted "true Calvinism" explained. Those articles do not explain true Calvinism.

But it would be easiest and safest to get an explanation of "true Calvinism" from a Calvinist. After all, we do know what we believe. You have shown that you do not.

I have never talked down to you. I don't desire to cause conflict. I simply point out the truth.

Yes, because it goes past Calvinism.

So Webdog, if you think I have been dishonest about what you believe, then show us where. Let me take a look at it. Otherwise, stop making that false charge. I have shown very clearly that you do not know what calvinism teaches. I have proven it with links to your own words. As I pointed out, the only alternative to you not knowing what Calvinism teaches is you being deliberately dishonest about it, since you would know what Calvinism teaches and misrepresent it anyway. I choose not to think you are deliberately dishonest, though it is admittedly hard sometimes. I simply think you are untaught, and apparently unwilling to learn.

So let this be the end of your tactics.

8. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Larry, state your position in refutation of the other person's position. Personal attacks are against the rules. You have in so many words called Webdog ignorant. Further posting as such may be deleted. If you can't post without attacking the person then stay away from it.

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

Hi, Tim, :wavey:

Calvinism is a very contentious issue in Christianity. Predestination is the first word that comes to mind when Calvinism comes up. Do you believe some people are predestined to salvation?? Or did God first foreknow that some people would believe?

The second word is soverignty. Does God control every single decision we make, including our decisions to sin? Or does He give us those choices and retain His sovereignty over the consequences of our free choices (most of which He has already revealed how He will react)?

Do you believe in salvation of soul, spirit, and body? Or does your theology contemplate, like Calvinism, only spirit and body?

Now the big test -- TULIP. If you know nothing about Calvinism, then you need to know about...

- Total Depravity (actually, total inability of anyone to choose Christ)

- Unconditional Election (nothing man can "do"/believe causes God to save the someone)

- Limited Atonement (Christ died only for some people - the "elect")

- Irresistible Grace (the "elect" can't resist the call to salvation)

- Perserverance of the Saints (sorta like OSAS but not called "Preservation of the Saints" as free will believes -- perhaps you can figure the difference out yourself?).

Do you believe in dispensations? At least the division in God's plan of Israel and the church? Calvin doesn't.

Do you believe in the pretrib rapture? Calvinism is amil or postmil usually.

skypair

#30 skypair, Mar 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2007
  11. RichardJS

RichardJS New Member

2Th 2:13 "But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:"

Act 13:48 "And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed."

2Ti 1:9 "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:"

:thumbsup:

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there in one Scripture is the purpose and definition of missions, as opposed to the purpose and definition advocated today.

"hath saved us" - past tense. established fact. done. finished. already saved.

"given us in Christ Jesus before the world began" - the lamb of God slain from the foundation of the world. Ephesians says all who are His are (positionally) seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus. All who were chosen, slain in Christ Jesus, before the world began, positionally, just as Paul states he was (positionally) crucified with Christ. All who are to be redeemed, already redeemed in Christ from eternity's perspective, washed in the blood of the Lamb from eternity's perspective, and redeemed by Christ at the cross (now made manifest by the appearing of our Savior, Jesus Christ).

"and hath brought life and immortality to light". what brought life and immortality to life ? The gospel. It did not bring light. In its light, life and immortality is manifested. The hearer responds because the gospel is for him, he has life and immortality from His Savior. It does not save. It declares the salvation of God to those for whom it is intended. The addressee not hearing the gospel does not negate the fact that he has light and immortality, the gift of eternal life, from his God and Savior.

What a mighty God we have !!

13. RichardJS

RichardJS New Member

I think we will get along just fine

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Say what? I'm sorry, but this has no truth at all to it.

Dispensationalism was 1st preached by Calvinist. John Nelson Darby was the father Dispensationalism.

Found in this link..
    http://uwacadweb.uwyo.edu/religionet/endtimes/bio.htm

also please read this..
    http://www.stempublishing.com/authors/Biographies/jndarby.html

Scofield and the Scofield Bible was what help spread Dispensational teachings. Scofield was a member of a Presbyterian Church, in St. Louis, which dispensationalist premillennialist and CALVINIST!!. In 1883 Scofield was ordained as a Congregationalist..and still was a Calvinist!!
    It is Covenant theology and not Calvinism in which you speak of. Covenant theology is held by both Calvinist and non-Calvinist. As is dispensational theology....held by both.

15. Repairman Jack

Repairman Jack New Member

Begin with the question "Which comes first: (logically if not in time) faith or being born again?"

Your answer will, in large part, set your feet on the path one way or the other, toward biblical truth or Arminian error.

16. Repairman Jack

Repairman Jack New Member

"Calvinist" has become a slander. It is often applied to men who belonged, at least in some degree to denominations and churches which at some point may have made claim to being Reformed or Calvinistic.

I have heard it said that since Finney began as a Presbyterian, he too was a Calvinist.:laugh:

It cannot be disputed that Darby was monergistic in his soteriology or that Scofield was a Congregationalist, but neither do a Calvinist make.

It is best to let the adherents of a particular doctrine define what constitutes association with them rather than listening to the opinions of men who haven't got a dog in the fight, or, worse, may be more interested in libel than in truth.

I am content to accept adherence to the five points to be the bare minimum.

If you could show me where either Darby or Scofield confessed these I'd be happy to read it. Until then I refuse to recognize either of them as Calvinist in any taxonomically meaningful way.

17. skypair

skypair Active Member

Well,...

...I see brother Timothy has "fled the scene" so...

let's talk about him while he's not looking! :laugh:

No. RichardJS -- night as well read this verse like this: "...chosen you to salvation through ... belief of the truth:" That's what it takes, wouldn't you agree?

Or this: "and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed." Was it believers who received eternal life? or was it the "ordained?"

"Who hath saved us, ... according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,..." Were we saved before the world began? Was grace given us before the world began? If so, we were NEVER among the "totally depraved," now were we? On the other hand, if God FOREKNEW that we would receive grace and salvation on account of our belief -- wouldn't that make more sense with the rest of scripture?

pinoy -- then there is really nothing left for us to do now is there?? Kinda like a car between two semi's -- in the "rocking chair" already! Let's just kinda "hang out" till we die, eh?

JArthur -- News Flash! It was once "cool" to be called "Calvinist." It was once VERY UNCOOL to be called Arminian. So "ditto" for Scoffield! ---> Think about it. Another news flash! Darby seems to have been complaining about the church-state fornication -- something that Calvin helped etablish in Geneva!!

skypair

#37 skypair, Mar 18, 2007
  18. skypair

skypair Active Member

Jack -- you ARE the REPAIRMAN!! You'd make a good freewiller if you would follow Darby and Scofield! :D

skypair

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

NEWSFLASH??? Cool to be Calvinist?? That is beyond strange.
    Your saying Scofield just lied about his mission statement? Do you know of any Presbyterian that are not Calvinist? Maybe all the Calvinist were fibbing throughout the years...because it was cool. :cool:

Get real. :BangHead:

Maybe you didn't see the 11:00 update.. :)

For those that care about the facts and chose not to live in a dreamland, Scofield was indeed Calvinist. Any one that knows history would agree. So it is you my friend that is wrong, in not knowing, or willfully mislead. Calvinist were the founders of dispensationalism. Why anyone would disagree, is only to show bias in doctrine, or show they have not a clue what they are talking about.

I have a idea. Lets look at www.scofield.org which is the very Church that Dr Scofield built. Maybe they would know the history. Or maybe they changed it to be cool. One way or another..I will take their word for it.

http://www.scofield.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=84&limit=1&limitstart=1

#39 Jarthur001, Mar 18, 2007
  20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

And yet another update. :)

This has nothing to do with the facts.

FACT: Darby was a Calvinist. Maybe you don't like this fact, but the fact remains.

For example, Darby wrote:

I trust this is the end of this sillyness.