1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need advice on Education

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by GodsRealTruth, Apr 9, 2008.

1. GodsRealTruth

GodsRealTruth New Member

I have been reading for several weeks on the posts regarding accrediations of institutions. I have taken classes at a non-accredited seminary, and enjoyed all the classes and felt I received a good education.

With that being said, however, I do think it is important to get a solid education at an accredited institution.

I am looking for some advice.I feel the Lord is leading me to teach in a seminary down the road.

It needs to be a Dictance Learning institution. I could get some help from my association and attend classes at New Orleans Theological Seminary, but gas prices being the way they are not sure if that is the way to go with all the good talk I am hearing about Liberty. PLus given the fact I am a bivocational Pastor whose time to limited to say the least.

I have a wife and 2 kids so money is a concern.

I really feel like I am being led to Liberty.

Need some advice guys. Go ahead and fire away.

2. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

Advice about Liberty:

Order materials EARLY.
    Watch your videos before the class even starts, I watch one class lecture a night when all my kids are asleep. Because I am tired, I read during the day, not at night!
    The online tests can be hard. I have done well on them but I noticed the class averages are usually pretty low.
    They have you write a paper for most of the classes, or papers (plural) in some cases. I think they explain it well and the papers are not that difficult.
    They CAP your tuition per semester at 2000. Theoretically you can take up to 15 hours a semester for the same price of essentially 6 hours. 15 is a lot though.
    Be careful which program you select to make sure they are all distance. I was told one program was online completely but when I looked at the schedules 6 of the hours were never offered. When I called, they told me it is actually a blended program. I switched to a program that is truly 100 percent distance learning.
    I do not know your theological beliefs but I cannot imagine any evangelical would find too much to complain about.
    Do not start with Systematic Theology :)
    Any other advice or questions, let me know.:thumbs:

3. UZThD

UZThD New Member

What subject were you going to teach? Does Liberty offer a doctorate in Bible or Theology?

Of course I would recommend the South African Theological Seminary. Doctorates run about $8000 and masters about half of that, I think. Both degrees are wholly by distance and SATS is accredited. The school is very responsive and easy to deal with. SATS has about 3700 students now. Practically all post grad supervisors have earned, accredited doctorates in the area of supervision.

4. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

UZThD
    Do you think SATS will look as good as an ATS or RA approved seminary IF one is trying to work in the US?

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Probably not. The European model which SATS follows uses research products in place of coursework. There are, of course, working profs in the USA with research docs. In my personal view the learning acquired by researching a narrow topic might be insufficient unless one has grad degrees (MA, MDiv, ThM) based on coursework in the subject to be taught (as I do).

Still, there are other variables. In my brief experience (only 2 years ago I rec'd the DTh when 65) the Unizul (a public university) qualification has been recognized as equivalent to RA. SATS has the same accreditation as does Unizul. At times, it is as much about "who you know" as it is about where you are degreed which opens doors. And, having the same brand of theology as the school to which one applies certainly may help.

But why should I consider my small experience sufficient to give an opinion about you getting a job with a foreign qualification? Why do I not just suggest that you ask deans of various quality Bible Colleges and /or seminaries their views on foreign degrees?

I do think that advanced degrees in Bible/Theology should be supervised/taught by individuals who themselves have experienced the effort of studying the subject(s) at a rigor consistent with genuinely accredited schools. The Subject of such study, Our Lord, deserves more than that. Sadly some schools here discussed have many profs who have avoided that and yet wish to teach grad work in subjects which require the very rigor the teachers themselves have avoided.

#5 UZThD, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2008
  6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BrianH Response!!!

Brian,

I will "second that emotion" of my fine colleague Dr. Bill Grover. I will also say a hearty "Amen!"

Those of us who taut the RA and ATS accreditation here on the BB are sometimes considered "educational snobs." But, I think, for the most part all we want is for people who have "Dr." either before their name or after their name should:

1. Have the expertise gained in rigorous years of study in that particular discipline, AND;

2. Be truthful and ethical about what they have and what they are able to do and teach, AND;

3. Do work that is pleasing to our Lovely Lord Jesus Christ as a "workman who needeth not to be ashamed!"

As they say in the US Navy!
    "That is all!":thumbs:

7. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I started with Liberty when I was on Active Duty in the Marine Corps and have stayed with them for three degrees; B.S. Religion, M.A. Religion, M.Div. and you can do all of that from a computer.

I have been a full time and part time pastor through most of my time with them and I am married with kids. I have been able to use military benefits to help pay for much of the tuition etc. BUT compared to a lot of RA and ATS Seminaries Liberty's tuition is very reasonable. You can use student loans and the financial aide department is excellent. They defer the cost of your tuition until financial aide (assuming you want to use it) catches up. In other words, you can start the semester and do the work without paying all of the fees up front if you choose to do so.

The programs are rigorous but they are VERY accomplish-able. The language requirements are minimal in the online programs but in the M.Div. program you are introduced to the original languages in what I think is at an acceptable level for a very much ministry oriented degree.

Liberty is an excellent choice. :thumbs: