1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need help, fellow Baptists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mike McK, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

On another message board, there was a thread about suicide and the subject of sin came up.

Someone made a comment about sin that was unrelated to suicide and said that sin was really just being fooled by the Devil and that God wouldn't punish you for believing a lie.

I responded thusly:

Even though I made it clear that I was not referring to suicide victims, he got pretty upset.

What do you think about my answer? Good? Bad? Brilliant? Poorly worded? What? What would you have said differently?

2. gekko

gekko New Member

well... from what you've posted here... it doesn't seem to me that you're talking anything about suicide people.

i'd say its Brilliant - and in line with scripture! imho.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I like it, too. :thumbs:

Suicide can be a difficult subject to discuss, since so many people think that it sends a person to Hell.

4. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

potential suicides

I still remember a most significant article that stated, 'yes, suicide is a sin but when the person stands before God on judgment day He has the option of showing great mercy if He should see fit'. Knowing God reads hearts and what placed such person in that position is of great significance and they certainly need much prayer and support!

IMO your response was fine!!

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

But perhaps he needs reassurance that God is not going to judge the person based on how they died, but on whether or not they were saved when they died.

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

That's what I stated in the "previous post" I referred to in the quote. In the previous post, I had explained that one's destiny in Heaven or Hell depends entirely on whether or not they are reconciled to God through Christ's atonement on the cross, or whether they are separated from God by their sins and not by how they die.

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Thanks for your responses, everybody.

The other person has since told me that he got upset with me because he confused me with another poster. However, he says that he still believes that sin is simply gullibility on our part when it comes to the lies of the Devil.

That much, I can deal with. It was just that he seemed so offended by it that confused me.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Suicide is indeed a hard thing to handle. To conduct a funeral is very awkward and to discuss it can become a touchy subject. There is one glimmer of hope I have always held on to and also pass it on is that the "brain" is a organ of the body the same as all the other organs and as the heart gives away or liver sometimes the brain deteriorates also to the point I don't know if someone would be responsible. Just my feeling on the subject. I know that most think someone is lost but I sometimes think maybe not!

9. mima

mima New Member

Agreement:

I agree with Brother Bob's answer. In fact I believe I can prove from the Bible that suicide in and of itself does not condemn a person to hell. I have reference to Samuel telling Saul, that after the battle with the Philistines, that Saul and his sons would be with Samuel. Taken literally, and I take everything literally that can possibly be taken that way, we have but to know where Samuel was. Could Paradise possibly be the answer? I think so.
    If you can see the truth in the above statements and are aware of the type of death Saul died you have the answer.

10. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Reminds me of a story that if one should deliberately jump from a 10 story building but on the way down ask God to forgive you that you'd changed your mind; He will forgive but you will still hit bottom and experience the consequence of death!
    There are consequences for our actions and even for our thoughts!

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If you have all your ducks in a row for sure but what about the person who is insane?

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Bob, as I understand the scriptures, sin must be a volitional choice. It must be willful disobedience and not just an unwitting action.

I don't believe that those who are insane can understand the moral consequences of their actions and, thus, cannot make this volitional choice to rebel against God.

But that's just me.