1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need help finding PBU & ORB Churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jeremiahpbc, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Jeremiahpbc

Jeremiahpbc New Member

I'm interested in knowing where in PA & MD there are Primitive Baptist Universalist & Old Regular Baptist Churches. I've seen mention of there being both in both states but not where exactly. Hoping someone can help.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, PBU - rare indeed but you will find some in the Appalachians.

I had thought they went the way of all flesh but there seems o be a few extant.

They are called "no-Hellers" However they do believe that there is a hell but that it is a temporary place where folks learn sanctification the hard way.

Here is a book. There is a site which contains many of the chapters. You may find reference to a few existing local PBU Churches.

https://books.google.com/books/about/In_the_Hands_of_a_Happy_God.html?id=7Mr-zilSKdgC

HankD

3. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm working on family history and finding PBU's. Explains some things. They do believe in hell, but that it is temporal (here.)

Anybody out there know of a PBU church in OK, Missouri, Tennessee, or Mississippi?

Or Univeralist church in those places? NOT Unitarian Universalist, but just Universalist? Might help me if I could find more church records.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you mean non-PBU Trinitarian Universalists, I don't think so.

In all my reading (From a former study of the development of the Trinitarian doctrine) I have only ever found one Trinitarian Universalist pastor (apart from PBU) and I don't even remember his name but I believe he was a Congregational minister at one time. I do remember he hailed from Boston around the mid 1800's.

I may have retained one of his document s for footnoting purposes, I'll see if I can find it.

HankD

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I could find in my archives is a man named J.W. Hanson, D. D (1800's).
    who wrote on universalism in the complete history of the church.

If you Google his name you will find a little bit about his connection with Trinitarian churches.

Trinitarian Universalism documentation on a local church level is a very rare subject because it's a very rare commodity so you won't find much written on the subject.

Universalism's biggest problem: The Scriptures.

HankD

6. Jeremiahpbc

Jeremiahpbc New Member

Thank you for the link to the book, Hank. I'll take a gander at the link & the chapters. Been busy so just now getting to respond. Wish there were a more informative website where I could find these churches. I'd rather live in Appalachia where all these different Baptist churches could be easily found.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you find an elder/deacon in one of the PB/PBU churches, write to him, he will be more than happy to give you the local church history, they are good at keeping journals of the past and their debates.

HankD

8. Jeremiahpbc

Jeremiahpbc New Member

That's some good advice. Will definitely try that. Thank you!!