1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need help in a hurry!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, Aug 30, 2008.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

We bought a web cam today with a built in microphone. It is installed. Now what do I do???

How do I know when it is recording? It has no off/on switch or anything.

How can I see what I've recorded?

It's an HP, but the instructions were poorly lacking...In fact there are none.

I have gone to the HP web site to no avail. They don't even have web cams listed! :(

We ladies in the WPF are compiling a project for one of our members who is very, very ill with cancer and it cannot be cured. The deadline to have our 'part' sent to the member that will put it all together on one DVD and send it to the sick member is tomorrow.

Hubby and I are both stumped.

HELP PLEASE! :praying:

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did it come with an installation disk? If so, make sure you install the software that came with it (most of these usually have some program involved).

If there are no programs that came with it, other than the drivers to make it work...you have something of a problem, because it's assuming that you're going to use Skype, or an instant messenger program. You need something that's going to record what you're trying to accomplish.

Check to see if you have Windows MovieMaker (Start, Programs, and look for the Windows MovieMaker icon). Once you open that program, on the top left there should be an option for "capture from video device." I haven't actually used this program myself, but that should get you started.

If you don't have MovieMaker, you'll need to do a web search for video recording software.

Good luck!

3. I Am Blessed 24

Hi Don!

Yes, it came with a CD, but it had to be installed manually for some reason.

It did tell me to use Windows Messenger, but I have no clue as to what to do with it.

Is it on all the time?

How do I record and then do I send it as an attachment?

I am totally above my paygrade here. :(

I don't have MovieMaker, but I believe Windows Messenger records. I just don't know how to get to that point.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

There is not an on/off switch on the camera. A program must turn the camera and microphone on. Usually once you close the program, the camera will turn off. The installation CD will have the drivers for the camera and microphone. When doing the manual install, select that you have the CD and then browse the folders for the driver files. Once the hardware driver files are installed, you should be able to access and adjust the settings for the camera and microphone using the control panel.

Messenger programs can activate the camera/microphone and will usually have a preference or tool option to calibrate the microphone and adjust the camera settings. Last time I used M$ Messenger, it did not have a means to record video feed, it just transmitted it. They may have added that feature, but I don't know. If M$ messenger does record, it will tell you how in the FAQs or Help files.

MovieMaker will not help, that is a program for making a movie using digitalvideo files, I don't think it can record live feed from a webcam.

I am no longer familiar with windows based programs, but you should be able to download a small program that will record webcam files. Try twocows or sourceforge for a freeware program.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From MovieMaker's help file: ....Some audio and video capture devices and sources that you can use include...a Web camera....

Sue, if you have Windows XP Service Pack 2, you have MovieMaker. If you have Windows XP, but not Service Pack 2, you can download and install SP 2 from the Microsoft website.

If you're not using XP, then possibly one of the the links I provided earlier to 3rd party programs for free, that will record Messenger sessions. Or, as rdwhite pointed out, do a search for free video recording software.

#6 Don, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you open moviemaker on the right is a "capture video" option, click on the capture from video device with the camera all plugged in. If it is going to work it will show up in the menu that opens.

Also youi might try opening My Computer and see if the camera is listed and double click on it if it is and snoop for record feature.

If all else fails start/control panel/system/hardware tab/device manager and see if the web cam is listed. If it is and there is an explanation point or red mark by it you need to right click on the webcam and choose properties and see if it tells you what is wrong.

If there is no problem then the webcam is probably functioning and you need the 3rd party software that has been mentioned. Office Max used to carry a 3rd party program that was fairly cheap.

Google for: "webcam software" free and you will get a long list, you will have to do some snooping to find one that fits your needs.

8. I Am Blessed 24

I still haven't found moviemaker. I am running XP Service Pack 3.

I did get a video made...but no sound is with it. Now what???

I am using a program called Arcsoft. I'm not even sure how I got it. LOL

Time is running out and I'm biting my fingernails.

9. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the sound, start/controlpanel/sounds and on the first tab (Volume) click advanced and be sure none of the Mute boxes are checked and be sure all of the sliders are at least a couple notches or more up from the bottom.

If that doesn't work let me know. I'm pming you my regular email addy as I'm having trouble getting to the board all day.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sue - Click on Start, then Run. Type in: moviemk and then click on "OK". If there's no problem, the MovieMaker program will start.

If you get a "can't find file" error, try typing in moviemk.exe. If you still get the error message, then you don't have MovieMaker.

ArcSoft was probably installed from the CD that came with the webcam.

Do you have Yahoo Messenger?