1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need Input

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Don, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm looking through the running processes on my computer, and I notice that there's an instance of Apache and MySQL.

Since I'm not using this computer as a server, naturally I'm wondering if I've picked up something somewhere, that is attempting to use my computer as a server.

I'm running OpenOffice and a few other "non-standard" programs; and I have Joomla on this computer as a back-up for the website I administer. But nothing that I recall installing Apache or MySQL for.

Anyone got any ideas why these would be showing up?

(BTW: I'm running MS Windows XP)

2. His Blood Spoke My Name

if you are comfortable with editing your registry, you can use the 'regedit' command.

go in registry and do a search for any 'Run' folder. look in them and delete the Apache or MySql.

That should keep them from starting up

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Eliminating registry value will do the job. In the same way, a sledgehammer can be used to crush a housefly. Or, alternatively, you can do the job easier and safer by using the right tool.

Without looking at what's installed on your system, I couldn't say why Apache and MySQL are running. These are probably installed as services and start automatically. The better way to stop services from running is to right-click on My Computer, select Manage, and check the running services. You can change the properties of both the Apache service and MySQL service to not start automatically.

Hope this helps.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Or you could just check in add/remove programs and see if they are able to be uninstalled. I don't know of any OS packages that would automatically install apache and mysql, but I wouldn't rule it out.

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If you are running Linux & inadvertently installed a server option, that could happen.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

You don't happen to have CCleaner do you?
    That same problem happned to me once. I think it was after I installed that program but I instlled several at once so I am not sure which one caused it.
    At any rate uninstalling a program should help.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right-clicking on My Computer and choosing Manage was something I've never used before; definitely something I'll use more often from now on.

In the description section, it identified that Apache and MySQL were installed as part of WebGUI, a content management system that I had tried and uninstalled. Now that I know what they were associated with, I can go into the Registry and delete both those and any references to WebGUI.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!