1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need some advice on a situation

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Bible John, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Bible John

Bible John New Member

I do not try nor intend to be rude to people, but sometimes people interpret what I say to be so, even when it was never intended this way.

I reside in a hyper liberal area. There are only 3 Fundamentalist churches within a hour drive of me, and all 3 are KJV only. So for the time being I am attendign Calvary Chapel. They are not exactly where I want to be, but they are one of th only churches of all the churches here that preaches the bible verse by verse. The Emergent Church and hyperliberalism, along with homosexual pastors are very common where I am at. Those of you in the Bible Belt or in some rural area will have a hard time understanding what I am saying. However those of you living in New York City, San Francisco, or some other hyper liberal area will be right at home.

I noticed that one of the liberal churches that I used to attend back in 1999 (before I was a fundamentalist) is starting a softball team. I have checked out many churches in this area, and have found none that have softball, or the ones that do, are too far for me to drive.

This church has women pastors, and holds other liberal views. However I do believe that the staff there is saved ands that the essential chruistian doctriens are beign taught.

I called and spoke with a female ministry director (sounded like a individual that preaches and holds spiritual leadership over men). We chatted, and I tried to be kind and all in my conversation. But she got the feeling that I only wanted to go to the church to fellowship, and not to be under their authority. I tried to dodge these concerns of here, and only focus on softball issues and how I could play, but she got very direct with me.

I tried again not to address her concerns and in doing so I tried to speak with gentleness and respect (1 Pet 3:15, NIV).

But she pressed on me again, and then I finally told her that I did not want to go to this church and be under their authority, nor did I want any part of the churches doctrine. However I mentioned that I would love to fellowship with the singles group, and would love to play softball.

I mentioned that I was fundamentalist, and I did not call to start a war. I called to find out how to join the singles group so I could play softball, and thats it.

How would you have handled this, and how could I have handled it better? Perhaps I handled it well. I did not try to start any fights, but since she continually pressed as to why I only wanted to play softball and felowship, and not join the church, nor be under their teachings, I had to speak.

2. IronWill

IronWill New Member

IMHO, You shouldn't have tried to get on the team if you weren't willing to be a part of the church.

3. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Re

I live in the woods, and for me everything is at least 30 minutes away. Finding people to fellowship around here is hard.

But I love softball and do want to fellowship with these people. But I do not and will not join the church. I never tried to address that, until she pressed it.

4. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Most churches don't allow non-members...or at least people who don't regularly attend their church...to join their softball teams or what-have-you.

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Without knowing your situation, and just reading the above problem you're having, my suggestion would be a tough one.

Move.

If you are finding it hard to socialize with people that think like you and have the same beliefs as yourself, then in my opinion, it would be hard for you to live in a place such as that.

I find myself a Baptist living in New England around the Catholic faith, but I also tend to think that God has placed me here to help reach out and teach the people of the RC faith.

If I thought I was in a place that could or would do no good, I believe I would move.

Though answer, but under the circumstances you described, I would move. At least move a little closer to a church that carries the same belief's as yourself.

Jamie

6. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I don't even get what your problem is?
    Unless you join the church or attend the church regularly wholeheartedly in agreement with their doctrine then why should you be allowed to play?
    You don't like the KJVO churches, your not fully comfortable at the Calvary Chapel fellowship and now you want to hang out at the lib. church?
    BTW the lib. church doesnt hold to sound doctrine because if they did they wouldn't have a woman pastor. Also posts like this are silly. Your not sharing the whole story. Your looking for a answer that will fit what you haven't fully disclosed in your post.
    Sounds to me like you don't really know what you believe or are convicted about or you wouldnt be having this problem.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now there's an oxy moron, the man of GOD practicing sin? What can you expect from the membership?

Bible John, just my observation, just like you don't want to join their church, they don't want you on the team. Sounds mutual. Does the city, rec center or county have teams? You don't have to play on a church team.

8. Bible John

Bible John New Member

I will go to BJU soon

9. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Actually there are TONS of fundamentalist churches that are not KJV only.

Unfortunately none seem to be where I am at. However back in Northern California there was a good handful of them.

But I believe that you like to judge first, and ask questions later.

When I was living up North I was a member of a churhc and got involved. There were plenty of non KJV only fundy churches there.

When I move to SC soon I am told and have called some churches near BJU that are not KJV only. I will fit in well.

John

10. Bible John

Bible John New Member

I should look into those answers.

You are right in that most churches would not allow non members to join their teams.

Thats common sense I should have thought of that. However I have experienced churches that did allow non members to join their softball teams. However I should never base things on the exception, but only on the rule.

11. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Son, you must really hate the KJVO position to go to a Charismatic church to avoid them. You are willing to play on a softball team for a liberal church, but you think all KJVO churches are bad? I mean this in a kind way: you need to rethink your position.

Ministering in Japan it is almost impossible for me to be KJVO since there are not any versions in print in Japanese from the TR. But I have known many kind, gracious, godly KJVO pastors and people. I'd prefer them any day to the Calvary Chapel or a liberal softball team!

12. Bible John

Bible John New Member

John of Japan this Calvary Chapel is not charismatic. Dont stereotype the denomination as not all churches are the same.

Playing softball for a liberal church does not have anything to do with their doctrine!

I never said all KJV only chuches are bad.

Dude I never said I reccommend all of Calvary Chapel. But be warned that there are many different types of pastors at Calvary Chapel.

Also remember where I live at, and remember the hyperliberalism here.

John

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't hate either but for the sake of association I don't perceive them as all that different in principle. Both add human inventions to God's Word as their special distinguishing characteristic- to the detriment of uninformed/misinformed followers. There may be a matter of the degree of error but both are in error and are introducing extra-biblical "truths".

14. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Calvary Chapel are quite keen to point out that they are not a part of the Charasmatic movment, or at least that is what I understand from reading Chuck Smiths book "Calvary Chapel Distinctives".

Calvary are a mainstream Christian Church that originated in the 1960's Jesus movement. They are heavilly evangelical and into vibrant contemporary praise and worship music. Although people may not like the way they present the gospel, I put it to you that playing modern praise and worship and being Charasmatic are two different things.

I can see why you are not keen on going to either a Liberal church or a KJVO church. Being isolated does not make it easy, yet Paul does say that "physical training is of some value", so playing sports is a good thing. I like to play Aussie Rules Football, Cricket or Squash when I get the chance. Yet here you genrally play in the local community club. The Salvation Army and the Lutheran Church are the only groups that I know of that have Christian football teams in secular competitions, so maybe you could try the Lutheran church if there is one near to where you are?

#14 Ben W, Jun 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2006
  15. IronWill

IronWill New Member

They do practice the gifts though...not that I'm complaining.

16. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Where I live fundamentalist churches are rare. Only 3 in a hour drive of me.

In Shasta County there were far far more of them, and I was attending and involved in 2 fundy churches when I was up there.

But around here Calvary Chapel is one of the only churches that teaches verse by verse.

Lutheran churches? Come on they are more liberal than this presbyterian church!

17. Bible John

Bible John New Member

When I go to BJU I will once again be in a area with fundamentalist non KJV Only churches.

Where I am living at know there are only 3 in a hour drive, and all three are KJV only.

The rest of the hundreds of churches here in the San Mateo county area are Emergent and seeker friendly.

John

18. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

As I am aware there are several denominations of Lutheran churches, much like the different Baptist Churches, I dont doubt that there would be Liberal Lutheran Churches yet I am sure there are also Right Wing Conservative Denominations also?

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friend, run on over to the Bible versions thread and check out the "sticky" by Dr. Bob on "Definitions of KJV Only." There are many varieties, many different levels of involvement. Most KJVO churches do NOT "add human inventions to God's Word as their special distinguishing characteristic." They are Bible-believing Baptists as their special distinguishing characteristic, with a belief in a preserved Bible version as a side position.

Personally, I am not KJVO (check out my posts in the Bible versions thread for confirmation), but Shinkaiyaku preferred.:D (The Shinkaiyaku is the Japanese equivalent of the NASV.) You can trust me on this. I have almost 50 supporting churches (some KJVO and some not), and know many of the men in the movement.

And with that I'd better quit before I sidetrack this thread.:smilewinkgrin:

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My bad. I confess after the fact that I know little about the group. There are none in Asahikawa, Hokkaido, Japan. :eek: