1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need some advice

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by faithwalkr, Jun 9, 2005.

1. faithwalkr

faithwalkr New Member

This may be in the wrong category, and I apologize if it is, but I couldn't figure out where to post it.

I've been convicted that I do not want my children to attend any school dances even though they are very young still, I do not want them going when they get to that age. Well, I got to thinking about it, and thought maybe I could work with my church to come up with some alternative activities for them to do the nights the schools have dances going on. Then, I was convicted that there are young people now that could use alternatives now. So, I talked to my preacher and our youth minister about it and they were all for getting something like that started. The thing is, we aren't sure exactly what to do. Do any of you go to a church that provides anything like this? I'm especially thinking about prom night alternatives. If you are familiar with a program like this and could help give me some advice, or, even if you aren't and have some ideas you could throw my way, could you please? Thanks.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

How about a coffehouse with teens playing music, reciting their poems, doing skits, etc. for other teens? Have coffee (for high schoolers), soft drinks, maybe pizza, snacks. But it would have to promoted and done well to compete with a prom.
    Also would take a lot of planning, I imagine. Put the high school kids in charge, overseen by the youth pastor and a couple of volunteer adults who love teens and are excited about it.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You might also want to post this in the youth forum and get the teens' ideas.