Need some advice

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges / Seminaries' started by broken4u, Apr 10, 2015.

1. broken4u

broken4u
    Expand Collapse

If I already have a B.S in Religion and a M.A.R. in Pastoral Ministry would, it be best to further my education with an M.Div. or a D.Min. I would like to pursue chaplaincy within the federal prison system. I know that the endorsing agency say that you should have an M.Div. However, I was wondering if I completed a D.Min if this would be acceptable. Does anyone have any advice on which direction would be best to go?

2. Allelujah77

Allelujah77
    Expand Collapse

Hey my pastor is going to be going into the chaplaincy in the Army and I believe he went for his M.Div. I could ask him if the D.Min would work if you want. I would say going with what your agency would prefer but another option would be to ask them if it would be acceptable as well.

3. reverist

reverist
    Expand Collapse

If you had a DMin, this should be fine for chaplaincy. However, in order to get into DMin programs, you either have to have an MDiv or its equivalent, where its equivalent is usually a minimum of 72 credit hours scattered across church history, OT and NT, theology, languages, etc. You'd want to get specifics from a potential DMin program to know for sure.

Also, most MARs are around 45 credits (though some are as high as 60 now, so I don't know your situation for sure), so be prepared to do some extra work even if you don't decide to get the MDiv. :)