1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need some college guidance and input.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Wanderer, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

I'm currently enrolled at Hyles-Anderson for fall 2007.

However I was browsing around the internet early last week and came across Grace Baptist college. I of course spent an hour looking around there website and called them the very next day for some more information.

After I got off the phone I had a great feeling about this college. I have prayed about it for the last week and I do feel this is where I should be attending.

My question is have any of you been to Grace? Or know anyone there?

Also this has happened all so fast, my pastor was going to help me look for a local school that fits my character. After months have went by and me nagging him for some assistance he had made his mind up to take me to Hyles for a couple days.

After the service we sat down for some pizza and they gave me the papers to fill out. Well now I'm kind of thinking the only reason he wants me to go there is because he did.

I however feel god is leading me to Grace baptist college.

I don't know what to do anymore, I feel rushed into a school with out praying about that particular school. I almost feel like Im following man on this one and not god.

Also my pastor seems to think the world of me for signing with Hyles. He's making it rather hard to talk about this.

I love my Pastor with all my heart but I don't know what to do:tear:

Oh and hello I'm new here and cant wait to get into some deep discussions and thoughts.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think you need to do several things:

1. You need to prayerfully figure out which program of study you wish to persue. That means you need to know what you wish to do "for a living".

2. You need to prayerfully find schools that have the program you wish to enter.

3. You need to prayerfully examine each school and its program.

4. You need to prayerfully pick a school.

Don't attend a school simply because someone wants you to. As for Grace Baptist College, I know nothing about it. After visiting their website I still know nothing about it (other than that they sell stuff). Grace is not accredited and that may cause you problems in the future. You probably need to look into schools that are accredited. There are plenty of them out there. I am also concerned by the lack of graduate degrees among the faculty.

God Bless you as you seek to do His will! :thumbs:

#2 Martin, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  3. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

Thank you!

I have always been a very good talker and listener, I get along with everyone and am very out going. Because of this I have prayed for the proper guidance and my answer thus far has been Pastoral Theology. I'm rather excited, I get this over whelming feeling of warmth joy and happiness.

I do have Cornorstone university seven miles from my house.

http://www.cornerstone.edu/

Would being unaccredited be that bad of a decision? And why?

Here is another College thats within walking distance. Also called Grace. http://www.gbcol.edu/index.php

#3 Wanderer, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If you don't mind, I took a look at your profile. You are a young man. I do not know you personally, but if God will's is for you to enter the ministry then it is imperative that you equip yourself properly.

Unaccredited is not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but it might present some limitations later on for you. For some people, because of where they are in their life and ministry, they do not mind whether a school is accredited or not. But my encouragement to you, as young man, is to get an accredited degree.

There are some fine inexpensive schools you can check out. If financially you are not able to attend an accredited institution right now, step back, pray about it, and maybe God might bring others in your life to help you get an accredited degree.

Accreditation is not an end in itself, but it is certainly the best way to go, especially for a young man as yourself. But if you want to go for an unaccredited degree, then you would have to look at the pros and the cons.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are in Grand Rapids, please take advantage of the solid, accredited schools in your city. The two schools you mentioned in your last post would both be excellent options.

6. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

The only problem with me staying around west Michigan is our economy, I'm lucky I have the job I have. Sadly it's only for the summer and I don't have a car to get out and look further than walking distance for another job.

I was looking at the cost of those schools, and I don't think I'll be capable of affording those in this day an age of our economy.

Though Grace in Grand Rapids looks to be a great school and is local, would be nice to find a room mate in the area and a local job for the winter. Keep every thing within walking distance.

Looking for more valuable input and opinions!

You all are great :thumbs:

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

I would suggest that you go to Cornerstone. It's a solid, evangelical college, and you don't have to move, a fact which will save on expenses. Do you live at home? Don't pay for an apartment just to be "on your own."

I went to Hyles-Anderson and have a Master of Education from there. I do not recommend it. Its academics are sub-par. Many like it because of its rabid fundamentalist "take-no-prisoners" approach. My pastor recommended it to me and he was happy. His happiness was my loss, though. You have better choices right where you are.

Blessings,
    Bill

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is the BEST advice you could ever get from someone.
    In college, it is all about YOU and YOUR career.
    YOU are going to figure out what God wants YOU to do.
    YOU have to live with the decisions you make, not the guy who
    is pushing you to Hyles/Anderson.
    YOU have to pay the bills.
    YOU have to take the tests.
    YOU have to figure out God's will for YOUR life.
    YOU have to somehow afford the books.
    YOU have to decide whether or not to walk in the
    tall snow to class.
    YOU have to live with the results of your decisions.

Please please please please please please please do not
    go to Hyles/Anderson because someone you like is pushing
    you there. If you do, you will regret every moment of it.

It is about what YOU must do.

Let me tell you something, Wanderer. Back in highschool, there was this boy who
    went to the local Church of Christ. He thought he would make everybody else in
    the church happy, including the minister and the youth minister by going to Cincy
    Bible College and Seminary. He told everybody about it in his family. Then one day
    his great uncle took him to breakfast at the local greasy spoon. There the young lad
    met a retired pastor/PhD in theology. The old man asked the youth "did God call you
    to be a minister? Did God speak to your heart and lead you to CBC&S?"

The youth answered honestly, "No. But I can do it. I want to do it."
    The old man said, "Do NOT do it. Do not go there. Do not try to become a pastor.
    Maybe you should go to IU a few miles up the road. Look, son. I'm saying this to
    save you a lot of pain. And I wish to save a lot of other people a lot of pain. DO
    NOT become a minister and that is because you were never called by God to do it.
    Sure....you want to do God's work and help people, but God has to call you to do it
    and when He does, there is no mistake that He has done so."

The teenage boy took this to heart and immediately ceased his admission process to
    CBC&S. He was scared about what the Church of Christ people would say. But in the
    end, it didn't matter. The boy went to IU. He met his future wife on the first day in the
    first class he took. He joined her church and became a baptist.

Wanderer, I look at that young teenage boy every morning when I shave (I'm 30 now).
    Please do NOT make the mistake of a life time. Ask God to lead you. He will. He might
    even put someone in your life to give you a message. The Reverend Doctor was sent
    by God to tell me not to throw my life away trying to please others by choosing what
    I thought THEY valued in a career and in a college.

#8 Jkdbuck76, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  9. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Ah a fellow Grand Rapids resident on here. I hope things go well for you, and I don't think the economy is too bad here for college students. There's always the bus route if you find a job that is farther than walking distance. I'd consider keeping your options open and check out Cornerstone. I've got some friends that teach there, and it's a good school.

BJ

10. Ehud

Ehud New Member

Be anxious for nothing!!!

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Ehud

11. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Note: This will not be the advice you want to hear.

College isn't for everyone, especially Bible college.

More God fearing young men and women have went to "Bible" College only to have their beleifs and convictions ripped from them by "concerned" professors.

I struggled myself with the college issue for nearly two years, even considering and talking to Hyles-Anderson as well. Finally someone gave me some good advice.

They asked if I knew for sure where God was calling me. My answer of course was that I didn't. They then asked if it were possible that God wasn't calling me away from my church at all. They then proceeded to advise me that if god wanted me somewhere specific, he would make that possible and known, and if not, what was wrong with faithfully serving and doing EVERYTHING possible in my current church that I could do.

To his credit, I preayerfully took his advice and am better for it today. There is much need in the churches today for men to stand up and take on a load at church. There are many ministries that are forgotten or ignored that you can take up, Lord Willing. Such has been my case and what a blessing it has been. Not to mention, I feel I have the best pastor this side of Mississippi, why would I want to leave from his teaching and instruction to go where I do not know the professors and preachers well enough to know their personal convictions and Bible stance.

With all that said... Pray hard, fast hard, study hard. God will direct you if you HONESTLY and REALLY want to be led.

I will pray the Lord will lead you. Amen.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I have an undergad and graduate degree. I did it the traditional way, and when I did, I did not know any of the professors. But time spent learning under those godly men, I will not trade for anything.

I did not know them at first but over the years I got to know them all, and I am still in contact with them.

I am sure that the pastor you know know and regard so highly, there was a time you didn't know him. Then what kind of a counsel are you giving to this young man who is honestly seeeking.

Besides, I believe going to accredited college is the best form of concentrated education he can receive right now at his age.

What do you mean to suggest that professors rip teachings away from students. That might be true in some instances. But I am convince that their are many godly colleges and seminaries out there.

I spoke to a young couple that are excited about going to Liberty University this Fall.

13. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, Wanderer.

Welcome to the BB. I trust you will be blessed and be a blessing.

Unlike the others who have posted here so far, I do know a little bit about the school. :smilewinkgrin: I've known the founder, Bro. Jon Jenkins, since he was a teen, since he is the nephew of my wife's home church pastor. (Got all that?) We haven't seen him lately (our last furlough was extremely busy), but he is a good man and to the best of my knowledge is doing a good job with the college.

The school is a fairly new facet of Bro. Jenkins' ministry, so I can't tell you much about it. Looking at the website, I do know several of the men they have had in chapel, and one is a supporting pastor and a close friend. I believe that the school will fit in well with what I take to be your branch of the independent Baptist movement.

If you are looking for great scholarship, it probably won't be there since this is a brand new school. However, knowing Bro. Jenkins I am sure the teachers will be enthusiastic and interesting, and will love the Lord.

Several have told you to spend much time in prayer about this, and I will echo that. God will lead you specifically. I would add to that, you really need to talk to your pastor, even though it is hard for you. Tell him specifically and humbly that you think the Lord is leading to Grace. Chances are he knows Grace Baptist College and will approve.

God bless.

John R. Himes

14. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

Thank you all very much for responding.

My only issue with staying in GR I will need to find a roommate if I stay here to attend any local college.

Also thanks John from Japan!

I will continue to pray:praying: and hopefully have this all figured out before its to late.

Please if anyone else has any answers or opinions, go ahead and post.

P.s. Sorry for any spelling errors, I'm really tired tonight for some reason.

Time for some :sleeping :sleeping_2:

15. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sleep well. :sleep: (It's daytime here.)

By the way, when you talk to your pastor, tell him that Russel Anderson co-founded Grace (no doubt the money half). So he gets half the "Hyles-Anderson" equation!

16. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Good counsel, and open counsel. I am trying to show that the Lord's will can or can not be college, and that one needs to be open to both. For college certainly is not salvation, nor is it "the" higher calling for all.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I don't agree and I am entitled to that.

{Personal attack deleted} I mean that many colleges have many professors who will rip the belief in the Bible, the belief in absolute truth, and the belief that God is still working from students. To speak on the second sentence, there probably are, I don't discredit that. Although I guarantee there are more bad than good. A simple glance at doctrinal statements/of faith will reveal that.

Good for them. I have a cousin at Liberty.

Lastly, to Wanderer. It does not seem long at all that I went through a very similar ordeal. It isn't easy. There are opinions and snippets of advice coming form all directions. What you choose is what you choose. Many a man fails to listen to God, yet there are some who will. I do not know God's will for your life, as no one here does. I will be praying for you though, that the Lord will reveal that will and that you will be open to it and listening. I hope the best for you. Continue to seek the Lord will all your heart, soul, strength, and mind.

#16 Bro. Williams, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2007
  17. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

Update.

I was lead to this church for a reason. I was simply out for a drive and had decided to drop in, I liked what I heard and I stayed.

So I had prayed about this for quit some time now. And I feel that I was lead to this church for a reason.

However I still have a small pull to Grace Baptist College. I just like the idea of small
    towns, I am a country boy at heart and I do despise big cities with a passion.

I found what I must do with my education, and while I'm attending.

http://www.acmnp.com/ I have read every thing and I know that this might be what I should be doing. I am a Wanderer in this life, and I have done seasonal in Alaska. There is a real need for the Word in these environments.

Most of these people are some of the more nice and sincere unique individuals around. Though they are wandering as I am and while I have found something great these folks have not.

So far I have decided that I should stick with Hyles-Anderson.

Sadly I am in financial ruins currently, due to poor economy and being a seasonal type employee many business don't want anything to do with me.

Thus far after talking to my Pastor this morning and explaining my situation, I have decided I may have to go back to the seasonal employment for this coming winter season and the following summer. However he wants to talk about what other option I have first.

This is both my bad news and good news. :tonofbricks:

18. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Well, hope the best for you!

19. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

Update!

I was taking a tour of Grace Bible college here in Grand Rapids this afternoon. When towards the end it just didn't feel right. So I started to pray under my voice (didn't want my tour guide to here me) and not even 30seconds later I got a check up call back from Grace Baptist College in Gaylord Michigan.

I wonder if this was the lord leading me. More prayer time is needed.:praying: