1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need to find a reformed church in LOS ANGELES.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by LaurenP, Feb 12, 2009.

1. LaurenP

LaurenP New Member

I am new to the faith, positive I am not yet saved, struggling greatly with calvinism and reformed theology, and struggling greatly with the pride that won't let me accept it. And other grave sins. But I'm pursuing this nonetheless. I'm living in Los Angeles, and I need to find a fundamental reformed church, so I can learn the TRUTH, and so I can meet people in real life that can answer all my questions and help me with the things that are paining me. But I can't find any. Even the presbyterian church, thirty seconds away from me that I was excited about, I just found out has a lesbian pastor. I don't think there are any serious reformed churches in L.A., due to the culture here. So I guess, my question is....what would be the next best type of church? Are all baptist churches good? Are all baptist churches reformed? I'd try and learn alone with my bible at home...but that might be the death of me. I'm having a really hard time with all this painful theology, but I hope to God this is not in vain...that it's just the beginning of my journey and that one day I will be able to accept it all, Him and His ways, with love and sheer humility. Anyways, point of the post is....what would be the least liberal denomination to go to, in a very liberal area? Perhaps someone reading this is from Los Angeles and could recommend anything to me?

Thank you.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Welcome to the Baptist Board.

Although I am not from Los Angeles, nor have I ever even been in CA and know virtually nothing about the specifics of LA, per se, I would still be assured that there are some fairly good churches in the area. How close to you any of these may be, I cannot say, for it is certainly a huge area, and the population of Los Angeles County alone would make it larger than 43 of the 50 states of the United States, with two and a half times that of the entire population of my own KY, for example.

Personally, although not "Reformed" (but hopefully I am still a bit 'reformed'), I would recommend checking out these three churches, one of which I know is in the Greater Los Angeles area. I assure you that all are strong fundamental, doctrinally sound as well as historic churches, and I would suggest they might well be able to recommend a good solid church quite a bit closer than you may be to any of them, and certainly Open Door is likely much closer than is Shadow Mountain or Lindley. But I do happen to have a little bit of personal knowledge of the Senior Pastors of the latter two churches, FTR, as well as some historic knowledge of some of the former pastors of Open Door.

The Church of the Open Door of Glendora, CA. The Senior Pastor is Ed Underwood.

http://www.churchoftheopendoor.com/

The second is in the Greater San Diego area, and although this would likely be impractical, could still probably be able to recommend a good church much closer, as well.

Shadow Mountain Community Church of El Cajon, CA. The Senior Pastor is David Jeremiah, a good Biblical name. :thumbs:

http://shadowmountain.org/

The third is in the Oxnard Area, likely with the same drawbacks as that of El Cajon, geographically, yet again, can likely recommend a church much closer.

The Lindley Church of Tarzana, CA. The Senior Pastor is Mike Cocoris.

http://www.lindleychurch.com/default.htm

But I can fully assure you, none of these will be "liberal" or have any lesbian pastor, or recommend any church which is or does, either.

BTW, when you do find someone that can give you a quick answer to all your questions, please give me their name(s), 'cause I, even after 45+ years, still have a couple or three of my own that are left. ;)

If you might wish to speak to me by PM, we can certainly talk about salvation and assurance, and I would certainly take that opportunity. Happy church hunting, regardless.

Ed

#2 EdSutton, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lauren, you must have been at a PCUSA Presbyterian church. They are the extreme liberals of the presbyterian world. Avoid them.

Each church must be judged on its own merits, but to get started I recommend that you look for churches associated with the following groups:

Presbyterian Church of America (PCA)
    Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC)
    Association Reformed Baptist Churches of America
    Free Presbyterian Churches of North America
    Founder's (SBC)
    Protestant Reformed Churches

EL MONTE REFORMED BAPTIST CHURCH

(626)448-9821

(Pastor Bob Curley)

4530 N Peck Rd
    El Monte, CA 91732

CENTlNELA BAPTIST CHURCH

(310)676-3135
    (Pastor Larry Smith)

4730 W 152nd St,

Lawndale, CA 90260​

Founder's-Friendly Churches in CA:
    http://www.founders.org/misc/chlist/CA.html

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Excellent post. Lauren, I go to LA fairly often due to business travel, but since I don't know where you are in the LA area (Calabassas to Orange) I listed a few PCA churches in your area. I've also listed their web sites, which is always a good place to start.

New Life Church, Burbank -- www.newlifeburbank.org
    Church in the Canyon, Calabassas --- www.churchinthecanyon.org
    Calvary Presbyterian, Glendale --- www.calvarypca.net
    City Presbyterian, Long Beach --- www.citypres.org
    Grace Presbyterian, Pasadena -- www.gracepasadena.org
    Pacific Crossroads Church, West LA --- www.pacificcrossroads.org
    Grace Presbyterian, Yorba Linda --- www.gracepresbyterian.net

Of course, there are other good churches in the area as well -- though you will probably find more conservative churches down in Orange rather than LA. (I know, duh.) God's best to you in your search. Likewise, feel free to pm me.

5. LaurenP

LaurenP New Member

Pacific Crossroads I was just recommened by someone. I think I'll try that. I am in Brentwood (West Los Angeles). I did a couple church searches and noticed that all the churches that seemed to be reformed were in places further away like the valley or way downtown. I don't have a car, so unfortunately I have to settle for something close. I'll also try to find a reformed baptist church...maybe there's a searcg engine for that. I know there's Westside Baptist Church which is near me. Hopefully they're the real deal.

Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate it.

God bless.

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I hope this works out. Pacific Church meets at University High School -- which just west of the 405, between Wilshire & Santa Monica Blvd. God's best --

PS --- Let us know how it goes & how you are doing.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In the meantime, Lauren, I"m sure you know that salvation does not come from a trust in Reformed Doctrine, but in the person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ. If you do not believe you are yet saved, you don't have to wait until you find the right church.

The Scriptures are clear. Repent, believe and confess Christ as Lord.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

Try The Christian Reformed Church.

From www.crcna.org

CA, Los Angeles - Community
    CA, Los Angeles - Grace Unlimited
    CA, Los Angeles - Gracious Ark
    CA, Los Angeles - Great Vision
    CA, Los Angeles - Green Field
    CA, Los Angeles - Journey Christian Fellowship
    CA, Los Angeles - Joy Community
    CA, Los Angeles - Los Angeles Global Mission