1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Needed: Baptists that "know their stuff"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JRG39402, Jan 3, 2007.

1. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

I found that http://www.mormonapologetics.org, a message board site for Mormons to have quite the energy of this one. The problem is that many of the non-Mormons there cannot articulate a good argument. If any of you are deep in your Baptist faith, I suggest you register their and engage in some discussion. It can be quite interesting. But don't put people down. It would reflect badly on us.

2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

You have your job cut out for you. 99.99999999999999999% of LDS dont care to do any kind of study in their doctrine. They go to church and trust that their chruch tells them what is right. You are speaking to the others.

I am on but will wait until a good thread comes up to participate. My participation has to be somewhat limited because I post at work.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

For those who need some help in understanding their beliefs and how to share the gospel and His word with them...I would say a good website on this is

http://witforjesus.org

It is a website devoted to dealing with JW's and Mormons but more towards bringing them to Christ.

4. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

How about people who are deep in the christian faith and the understanding of the bible?

5. survivor

survivor New Member

Would it not be much better to have those who are deeply into Gods word rather than just a particular church they happen to attend?

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

It's been my experience that Mormons are a lot like Roman Catholics, in that they really don't care what the Bible says. They're just interested in their church's dogma.

Missionaries are a little different, because they see themselves as theologians. It's easier to get them to accept a Biblical case for Christianity/against Mormon teaching, but still very difficult.

Witnessing to them is pretty easy because all they do is read off a prepared script. Once you can get them off the script, they have no argument accept, "this is my testimony" and to tell you to pray and ask God to show you whether or not Mormonism is true.

If you have about fifteen minutes to listen to this soundclip, you might find it helpful.

7. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Correct and a lot of them dont know the fine points of their own doctrine. The ones who do almost always try to keep it hidden even to the point of denying it outright. Or most often trying to candy coat it making it sound more traditional.

However I have noticed on this board the Mormons are suprisingly open about the finer points of what they believe.

The vast majority of LDS males are/have been missionarys. It is not like what you are use to. It is more like being drafted into the millitary. It is something that is expected of every young male for 2 years then they are done. They dont really know more then the avg. Mormon they just say what they are trained to at the MTC. From the ages of 19 to 21 then it is back to normal life. They dont witness like we do (should do).

There religion is based on feelings. What feels right and good. They trust what they feel over what they can read.

8. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is very true. They are taught a type of truth that is different than us. They think that if I have an experience, it makes the teaching true. They are taught that if someone has a particular religious experience, then that is evidence that God is giving them testimony of the truth. Of course, they only believe that the Mormons have a valid experience.

We can use this to the advantage of Christianity. If we say "I have prayed to God, and He has given me a witness of the Holy Ghost. My testimony is that....."

It is important to use those exact words, for those are words that mean something to them.......evidence of truth. They don't think that we have a testimony. And all you then have to do is say "My testimony is that God has told me that Joseph Smith is not a true prophet, and the book of Mormon does not agree with the Holy Bible."

I have used this many times, and it stops them in their tracks, and makes them think. You can then witness to them about the true Christ, instead of the false one of Mormonism.

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I know what I believe and that it's the truth, but I know very little about other religions. I do know enough about many to know that they are false religions. I'm reminded of people who are taught how to spot phony money. They don't study phony money; they study the real thing so that they will know the phony when they see it. I'm that way with religion. I don't need to study others religions. I just need to be knowledgeable in the truth so that when I'm confronted with a false religion I can recognize it as such.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

That is true in essense Joh-Marc.

However, if you actually sat down with a mormon, JW (Jehovah Witness), or Seventh Day Adventist. It would be difficult if not impossible to know truth from error and first talking.

Why?? They use Most of the same words we use but they have completely different meaning or similar meanings that after time get expounded upon later.

Take for instance the JWs. Ask then why the believe they will go to heaven.
    Answer from them:
    Becuase the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross is the only reason I can go. (there are other answers they are trained to give but we will use this one)

Sound good and right, huh. Untill you find out the meanings and doctrine they hold. Let me break this one down as to what they really mean.

Jesus died so that the door of salvation would be open for me. Without His sacrifice the oppotunity to save ourselves would not be. So it is the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross which is the only reason "I" can go to heaven. But Jesus does not insure he only shows us the way TO go.

This is why I always preach learn all you can about the Word of God and the what and whys about it. Then know just enough about of things to be a witness to those who have no truth. Me, I have studied them all indepth and teach class to churches to help them be better suited to give sound answers to those who use trichery to decieve. Why? Because they to need to hear the truth.

#10 Allan, Jan 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007