1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Neo-Con War Addiction Threatens Our Future

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Mar 25, 2013.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

William Kristol knows what is wrong with the United States. As he wrote recently in the flagship magazine of the neo-conservatives, the Weekly Standard, the problem with the US is that we seem to have lost our appetite for war. According to Kristol, the troubles that have befallen us in the 20th century have all been the result of these periodic bouts of war-weariness, a kind of virus that we catch from time to time.

He claims because of the US “drawdown” in Europe after World War II, Stalin subjugated Eastern Europe. Because of war weariness the United States stopped bombing Southeast Asia in the 1970s, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. War weariness through the 1990s led to Rwanda, Milosevic, and the rise of the Taliban. It was our fault for not fighting on! According to Kristol, our failure to act as the policeman of the world is why we were attacked on September 11, 2001. Of the 1990s, he wrote, “[t]hat decade of not policing the world ended with 9/11.”

That revisionism is too much even for fellow neo-conservatives like Paul Wolfowitz to swallow. In a 2003 interview, Wolfowitz admitted that it was the presence of US troops in Saudi Arabia that led to the growth of al-Qaeda:
    "(W)e can now remove almost all of our forces from Saudi Arabia. Their presence there over the last 12 years has been a source of enormous difficulty for a friendly government. It's been a huge recruiting device for al Qaeda. In fact if you look at bin Laden, one of his principle grievances was the presence of so-called crusader forces on the holy land, Mecca and Medina.”
    But for Kristol and his allies there is never enough war. According to a new study by Brown University, the US invasion of Iraq cost some 190,000 lives, most of them non-combatants. It has cost more than $1.7 trillion, and when all is said and done including interest the cost may well be $6 trillion. Some $212 billion was spent on Iraqi reconstruction with nothing to show for it. Total deaths from US war on Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan have been at least 329, 000. None of this is enough for Kristol.

The neo-con ideology promotes endless war, but neo-cons fight their battles with the blood of others. From the comfortable, subsidized offices of magazines like the Weekly Standard, the neo-conservatives urge the United States to engage in endless war – to be fought by the victims of the “poverty draft” from states where there are few jobs. Ironically, these young people cannot find more productive work because the Federal Reserve’s endless money printing to keep the war machine turning has destroyed our economy. The six trillion dollars that will be spent on the Iraq war are merely pieces of printed paper that further erode the dollar’s purchasing power now and well into the future. It is the inflation tax, which is the most regressive and cruel of all.

CONTINUE . . .

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron Paul forgets that the Democrats supported the war in Iraq. At any rate, the neo-cons have been out of power now for several years and are not likely to return to power anytime soon. One could hardly call Obama's trip to Israel a neo-con idea. Libertarians can always decline to volunteer for the military, and if they invest their wealth in oil commodities, Libertarians can protect themselves from inflation.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The neocons did prove one thing. Americans will believe anything but the truth.

4. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When people like the Clintons and John Kerry agreed with the GOP that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and the Democrats had passed a resolution calling for the overthrow of Saddam, the butcher of Bagdad, they you can hardly call the resultant fiasco the work of the neo-cons and their doctrines.

The real root of the problem is that the Democrats under the leadership of Idaho US Senator Frank Church gutted and dismantled the CIA under the liberal doctrine that spies caused wars and that the USA didn't need spies with space satellites and when we had backward allies that would pass information from their ungentlemanly spy systems that would not be demolished as enlightened liberalism was doing in 1972 to the US system.

Poncho, Libertarians like to blame the GOP but give liberal Democrats seem to get a pass from Libertarians. As I posted before, Libertarians can evade the war policy of the USA by declining to volunteer in the military and they can protect their wealth by speculating in oil commodities, perhaps the true currency of the world.

Poncho, the tension between the GOP and Libertarians does not deal with neo-con doctrines on war. It stems from the fact that the GOP has always taken stands on social issues, such as calling for an amendment to the US Constitution to protect the life of the unborn child--an idea suggested by President Reagan but rejected by Libertarians such as Ron Paul. On social issues, the Libertarian Party in the majority agrees more with the Democrats, just as they agree with the liberal Democrats on the neo-con war policy--the Democrats, who were for it before they were against it.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Yeah you got it. Ron Paul doesn't understand that following the constitution and honoring your oath to protect and defend the same isn't going to keep us safe from all the tyrants, dictators and terrorists we've either created, installed, or propped up over the years.

Actually this all can be explained in a much simpler fashion, CMG. You can go on and on and on about the differences between, republicans and democrats and how naive libertarians are but when the rubber hits the roads . . . the republicans and democrats all dance to the same piper's tune. The international bankers and corporations.

So, why wouldn't they all agree that their one time dictator hero should be taken out with an unconstitutional war? Who are the neocons anyway? Those who are beholden to the global corporate fascists, the Saudi's and the Israelis. For them fidelity to the USA and it's civil Constitution is a thing of the past. There's no profit or power to be had from that.

#5 poncho, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
  6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poncho, Ron Paul doesn't care for Reaganism and he doesn't like the Iraq war. What is his complaint with the Democrats? The Democrats agree with Ron Paul that there should not be an amendment to the US Constitution to protect the life of the unborn child, and the Democrats agree with Ron Paul and you about the neo-cons. All I have been saying is that Libertarians are closer to Democrats in some respects.

As a Republican, I am not worried about corporations (that's a Dem thing to worry about). I think that the Saudis are a spent force and are laughable in allowing the Dems to bow to them. As for Israel, President Harry Truman was a Southern Baptist, as you know, so the Evangelical connection to Israel goes back to 1948 when Truman became the first world leader to extend diplomatic recognition to Israel. I hate to admit it publically here on the Baptist Board, but I am more like Hal Lindsey on Israel than any of the three parties--GOP, Dem, or Libertarians. They have had a bad deal in that they are entitled to more land. They are the 4th strongest military force in the world and they do not particularly need American money but it is useful to them. They certainly hold the Arab world in check for us because they have enough nukes to take out every Arab oil well in the middle east and therefore I sleep well at night, Poncho. Jews tolerate me--Moslems do not tolerate me.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like to me that any time the stock prices of the industrial military complex needs a boost, the war drums begin banging against someone.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The industrial military complex is a myth created by conspiracy theorists to gain sympathy for whatever wacko nut case fear they want to create. They need a clear boogy man, couldn't find one and then created one.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no money in war. Usually, the money is borrowed by the government. The payments to veterans and their survivors go on long after the war is over. When I was a teenager, the last of the civil war veterans and their spouses passed away. When I was an adult, the same was true for the World War I soldiers. I remember when Ike said that, and he was in a position to know, but that was over 50 years ago. It just doesn't work that way anymore and hasn't for a long time. Ike merely noted that we now had industries geared solely for weapons, etc., which we had not had in the past. Ike was concerned that these industries might egg us into a war for their profits. But Ike was slightly exaggerating. We had had gun manufacturers since the 19th century. DuPont made gun powder and explosives for a living and only later got into chemicals. The situation in Europe was much the same.

Ike and MacArthur both made idealistic statements on peace. Yes, we should work always for peace, but, no, our efforts will not bring worldwide peace. Ike's motto during his administration was Peace Through Strength, and I believe that Ike stated the proper role of our military in the world. I think that we could use another tough General as President. In the 19th century, our Presidents frequently had military experience. Recently, they seldom have had military experience. Our military, like our healthcare, is the finest in the history of the world.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there is money in war, go look at the defense sector of the various stock markets, there is lots of money in war.

No money in war for the government perhaps, but for the contractors making the bullets, jeeps, guns, uniforms, etc... there is lots of money.

12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you are right but I still don't think that the military industrial complex causes wars. Our economy in Indiana is moribund and to me it is very sad. And I know that some sections of the country are suffering more than Indiana. As for West Texas, I lived 7 years in El Paso, but if I could move back, I think that I would check out Amarillo. One of my teachers was Haldeen Braddy. A few years ago, I read his book Mexico and the Old Southwest: People, Palaver, Places and learned the Big Bend was where the expression originated "Out west where the men are men and the women are glad of it." I also was a student of C. L. Sonnichsen.