1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nephilim

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Shortandy, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

I am sure this has been discussed before so sorry if this is repeat for some of you.

Im struggling with how anyone could say "sons of God" in Genesis 6 were angels or fallen angels.

The text is clear that marriage took place and Jesus in Matt. 22:30 teaches that angels don't marry. The text also is clear that humanit was punished not angels. IF they had a part in this then wouldn't they be punished as well?

Also what is to stop it from happening again; creatures that are half angel half human?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree with you. I've had so many emails from people asking me about this through my website (though my website does not address this, but people see it as pertaining to my ministry). There are 3 or 4 views on this passage and people are all over the place on it.

But the more I read the defenses for seeing this as angels mating with women, the less it seems plausible. From all I can read about angels in the Bible, they have no procreative abilities. Plus, they are spirit beings.

Nephilim are just giants, not weird half-angels half-men, and it is also implied that Nephilim were warrior types (and mean). The passage also does not say that Nephilim came from the sons of God and daughters of men, which I believe are the godly line intermarrying with the ungodly line. This is a foreshadowing of how the Israelites would intermarry with pagan women and end up worshiping false gods.