1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Abortion Bills

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Of those five bills that are listed in your link, three of them are sponsored by a Democrat, with the other two being sponsored by a Republican.

Both parties have people within it that 'want' to try to do right or have the appearance of doing right.. That doesn't mean that 1. The Republicans are always on the side of right, 2. that Democrats are always on the side of wrong 3. that either party is honest and caring enough about us and our country.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And neither does it mean that anything you just posted has any relevance.

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Suer it does, you might not want to hear it, but some users on this board including you seem to think that only the Republicans do anything for abortion.

I am just showing you that of this list, 3 of the five bills were sponsored by Democrats.

That being said, I think you know my opinion of politcians so I am not trying to "defend" the Democrats as I think they (R and D's) are both corrupt and only do what is "needed" for our votes and not what is "good"....

Neither party holds a great record with God I am sure...

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did I ever say only Repubs do anything for abortion. You will search long and hard to find that post. The purpose in this thread was not to suggest that only Repubs do anything for abortion. It was to refute the lie that they do nothing except use the issue to get votes. Nothing you posted prove otherwise. If you want to start a thread about what Dems do on abortion have at it.

#5 Revmitchell, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

HHmm... That sounded like the tone of your OP if you ask me...

So if they don't do anything for abortion, why campaign as a pro-lifer? Now JamieinNH has a very good point, pro-life is not a party affiliation, it is a personal belief and way of life and we shouldn't let anyone toy with or use it to gain our votes... This is evident because 3 of the bills were introduced by the parted hated for being pro-choice... Good catch Jamie... :thumbsup:

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? You can hear that?

What?

Really what should we let them toy with or use to gain our vote? The economy perhaps?

If you want to start a thread about democrats and abortion go ahead. But what is apparent is you cannot address the point of this one.

#7 Revmitchell, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

There you go again. The sponsor of the first bill is a Democrat.

Pregnant Women Support Act
    To provide for programs that reduce the need for abortion, help women bear healthy children, and support new parents.
    current 111st session of congress Other Bill Titles (2 more)

Sponsor

* Rep. Lincoln Davis [D, TN-4]
    * and 6 Co-Sponsors

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Senate version is also sponsored by a Democrat!

Pregnant Women Support Act
    A bill to provide for programs that reduce the need for abortion, help women bear healthy children, and support new parents.
    current 111st session of congress Other Bill Titles (2 more)Hide Other Bill Titles

* Short: Pregnant Women Support Act as introduced.
    * Official: A bill to provide for programs that reduce the need for abortion, help women bear healthy children, and support new parents. as introduced.

Sponsor

* Sen. Robert Casey [D, PA]
    * and 1 Co-Sponsors
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The last bill is sponsored by a Democrat as well!

Melanie Blocker Stokes Mom's Opportunity to Access Health, Education, Research, and Support for Postpartum Depression Act
    To provide for research on, and services for individuals with, postpartum depression and psychosis.
    current 111st session of congress Other Bill Titles (3 more)Hide Other Bill Titles

Sponsor

* Rep. Bobby Rush [D, IL-1]

* and 12 Co-Sponsors

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other two are sponsored by Republicans. I would say it's truthful to say that both Democrats and Republicans are working to improve the abortion problem. What do you say?

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Start your own thread. Or can't you deal with the truth and stay on topic?

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

The topic of this thread is "New Abortion Bills". You listed five of them. They are being discussed.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Maybe you need to actually read the op.

12. matt wade

I did read it. If you didn't want the three other bills to be discussed, why did you include them?

I have an idea...a new BB rule should be that when Revmitchell creates a thread, no body else can comment on it unless the simply post a ":thumbs:".

13. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the Rush bill have to do with abortion?

I am glad to see Casey getting back to his roots. And the Davis bill has some really interesting co-sponsors:

Rep. Peter King [R, NY-3]
    Rep. Doug Lamborn [R, CO-5]
    Rep. James Langevin [D, RI-2]
    Rep. John Murtha [D, PA-12]
    Rep. James Oberstar [D, MN-8]
    Rep. Mark Souder [R, IN-3]

Too bad none of these bills will ever see the light of day.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And just why did you post in this thread?

15. matt wade

My birthday is coming up and I wanted to make sure you hadn't forgotten about me! :laugh:

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well it appears like you showed up just to be disagreeable which is interesting since you have deemed yourself the board monitor of all that is wrong in Christianity. Maybe you should begin with yourself.

17. matt wade

Then I'm in good company aren't I? :smilewinkgrin:

That's funny. I don't remember posting anything on the topic of "What's wrong in Christianity".

Anyway, back on topic (you really shouldn't go off topic like this Rev!)...

Some republicans do wish to get rid of abortion. Unfortunately, I believe that there are some that use the issue to just get votes and aren't really "on board".

Take for instance John McCain. I personally believe he uses abortion just as a political stance and that he isn't actually passionate about the issue. Why do I think that? Well, I'm glad you asked. Once he was asked what he would do if his 15 year old daughter became pregnant. He stated that he would allow her to make the decision on whether to get an abortion or not. To me, that's not a passionate anti-abortion stance. If I were faced with the same question, I would reply that my 15 year old daughter would not have an abortion, final word, end of story.

Now, the real question is, does it matter? I think it does matter somewhat, but as long as a politician votes against abortion, I'm not overly concerned how passionate he/she really is about it.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

McCain didn't impress to many hence Obama. however on this board it is a common claim that republicans only use abortion as an issue. The claim is they never do anything about it. It has been used as an excuse to vote for those who do support abortion. That claim has been debunked.