1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured New BB Rating System .... Does it need attention?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 18, 2015.

1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

What I see is those who disagree with what is posted give it a dumb because they see it in their realm of intellengence as dumb. I really don't pay them any attention I just consider the source and go forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting to know who you think needs to grow up.

God bless.

#22 Darrell C, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And when someone "dumbs" twenty posts because their pride was injured? lol

You can tell what is dumb in this post.

Or, you can just use dumb on a post because you don't like them.

Maybe you can tell me why it is dumb that someone should be able to confront their accuser?

Maybe you can tell me why it's dumb to ask someone to explain why they think Scripture is missing the genealogies that account for 4,000 to 19,000 years.

Why it is dumb to point out that a dogmatic statement that a 6,000 year old earth cannot possibly be the case, but 10,000 to 25,000 year old earth is the likely age of the earth is being dogmatic...is dumb.

I have no doubts some will think what I post is dumb, but just to designate a post dumb and ignore direct questioning as to why it is dumb is abusing the system in my view.

There is a difference: when people discuss why they disagree differs greatly from the tendency around here for the little clubs to make unjustified comments with no intention of backing up what they say.

Their only intention is to try to cast someone in a bad light, and that is wrong.

Could you tell me who exactly is in this "in crowd" RD is trying to be a part of?

God bless.

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I don't see it.

I see a good question asked:

So in regards to your statement...

...not everybody sees it that way.

Now maybe you can expand on your charge.

God bless.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you ask him to explain?

Or simply find this something else to use to belittle a brother?

I would guess he meant the issue was old.

Well, catering to the people you are talking to is a gift, might as well learn the lingo required...

;)

Yeah, that seems to be a habit with you. One that could easily be corrected if you would just read the OPs once in a while.

That kind of takes a lot of the guesswork out of it, ITL.

God bless.

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree with you completely...

...someone will come along and criticize what you have said if they think what you say is in error.

And my friend...what you say here is error which takes on many dimensions.

First, I would remind you this is primarily a debate forum, as most are. If you want to post without having someone debate you, there are a few specified areas on the forum where you can go.

Secondly, the real problem with any Christian Forum is Doctrinal Error.

Let's take a look at yours:

Could you quote who said these things so I can see who it is your quoting belittling someone?

The lack of Doctrinal Purity is why there is so much division in the church today, as well on forums.

Do we stand by when someone says "We are saved by Christ but we can lose our salvation if we willfully sin after we are saved?"

How about if someone says "There is no literal Return of Christ?"

How about if someone says "There are many paths to Heaven, those who say Scripture only teaches One Way are wrong?"

That is basically what you are saying.

You are saying we should not try to tell people we feel are in error that they are in error. That's not the Christianity I see Scripture teaching.

Agreed.

But we can say knowledge of Him is restricted to what He has revealed to man in His Word. And when someone teaches contrary doctrine it is our duty to try to help them understand better.

Mormons believe that. Jehovah's Witnessess believe that.

Oprah Winfrey believes that.

No, they cannot.

While there may be multiple fulfillments, the Word of God is not a concept buffet for people to pick through and decide what God meant when He gave us the Word.

Give an example of one of these teachings that can mean various things to various people.

I don't see it, and I do say it is not only wrong, but a grievous error that will not only confuse believers, but help unbelievers maintain their rebellion against God.

Please give an example of a teaching that can be seen to mean multiple things.

God bless.

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep waiting. I do not live to cater to the whims of your curiosity.

Who did you think that I meant?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't think I expected you to actually answer this.

It's seems pretty clear: you want a prompt that you can tell people to grow up when you want to.

Am I wrong?

So who needs to grow up Rolf?

God bless.

9. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Darrell C..., please tell me why this is a DEBATE forum? Because you think that's what it is? You think it...therefore it is? Birds of a feather usually flock together. So it should be when it comes to the Lord. Does your congregation DEBATE? ...neither should this forum "congregation".

If this forum is to DEBATE perhaps we should post a notice at the front door.

WARNING: ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK. ANYTHING YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU!

Should be a real encouragement for the new Christian.

#29 HAMel, Oct 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem, this is easily identified in two primary ways.

First, it explicitly states that it is a debate forum.

Secondly, because we see a lot of debate.

Kind of makes it painfully obvious.

;)

If you look at the boards you will see that they are clearly marked which boards are for debate, and which are for fellowship. And I will be honest, not having occasion to visit the fellowship board much, I was not really aware until recently that the fellowship board actually restrains discussion that resembles debate.

No, Hamel, lol, because that is what it is.

Actually, most of what I say has a basis. Now would you like to show me where Scripture teaches that people can make Scripture mean whatever they want it to?

And that we are not to exhort, correct, reprove, or otherwise just point it out when people say really dumb stuff and try to make it seem to be Christian Doctrine?

That is true. Show me your friends and I will tell you your future.

Free of charge.

That is true:

1 Corinthians 1:10

King James Version (KJV)

10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Now where is the Scripture that teaches we can make Scripture mean more than one thing for multiple people?

Sometimes...but not when we Worship together.

You want to know why? Because we are all in agreement about that.

Debate can arise in Sunday school classes, though. I will say that for the most part there is little debate, though, because they usually have completent men teaching.

Right. That's why I commented on your post, which ironically was belittling, lol. Your own complaint.

I guess you think that people should have the right to teach what they want, without being confronted about it.

How's that working out for you so far?

It's already there, Hamel.

Not my fault you didn't notice it coming in.

Now your catching on.

When false teachers, and even Christians ignorant of Biblical Doctrine teach that which is contrary to sound doctrine, it is the responsibility of the Body to correct it.

Not let it fester.

For some...you better believe it, Hamel.

Some are under conviction at a very young age that to treat the Word of God a something to be cherry-picked and redefined to teach doctrine that is not sound is unthinkable.

And some will appreciate the fact that not all believers are more interested in a social gathering than actually being the Body of Christ.

Doctrine is important to some of us.

Now, go check the sign on the door, and run on down to the fellowship board if you don't want anyone challenging your teaching.

;)

God bless.

11. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why do you repeatedly ask the same question?

It would be senseless to request something that was unwanted.

You must be a joy in the grocery check-out lane. The more that you pester, the more that I am inclined to make you wait.

• Like Like x 2
  12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

You rated one of my posts with a "bad spelling" icon. You didn't have to explain why because it was obvious my spelling was bad in that post. I pay more attention to what my spell check is trying to tell me now.

Thanks. ;)

13. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Darrell C..., Jesus had to deal with the Scribes and Pharisees so I guess there's no reason why this forum should be any different?

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

There is a potential for "revenge rating" in this system. "So and so hurt my feelings or made me look bad or disagreed with me in the past so I'm going to make him look bad now!"

"Yeah, here's my change to get even with so and so, I'll teach him what happens when he doesn't see things my way!"

"Look at that, so and so isn't conforming to the majority consensus here so I'm going to give him negative ratings until he conforms."

"I just don't like so and so, I'm going to follow him around and spank him with negative ratings."

And my all time favorite, "So and so is going on my ignore list but I'm still going to follow him around to give him negative ratings every chance I get . . . take that so and so, that will teach you for not treating me with the respect I've refused to show you!!!"

#34 poncho, Oct 19, 2015
  15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't that assume anyone really cares about the ratings? If somebody doesn't like my post does that mean I should change my position? Should I abandon my faith in the bible because some people disagree with my understanding? Why anyone would care about a button clicked on a post just seems so terribly juvenile. Sounds like major Junior High School level of maturity to me! :D :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be too hard on him. I think he may suffer from ADHD. :(

17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, this is what I call the "Reputation Wars". Like-minded people will band together and follow someone around and click 'Dumb' or 'Dislike' and drive their ratings into the toilet. We've already seen this with the Calvinists ganging up on Steaver and also praising each other. Steaver, a well known non-Cal has 21 Dumb ratings, almost all from Calvinists. Iconoclast, well known Calvinist has a +71/0 rating, SovereignGrace (Calvinist) has a +72/-1; Reformed (Calvinist) has +61/-2.

After these guys read this post I will have 3 more Dumb ratings...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ITL, I gave you a preemptive defensive "like". *laugh*

• Like Like x 1
  19. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

When we first adopted this rating system I thought oh boy with me being the biggest non conforming contrarian on the board I'll never get any positive ratings so it took me by surprise when people gave me as many as they did.

I do see these "revenge ratings" or "reputation wars" as ITL calls them as childish. I hope we can use this new system to become better people and improve our relationship with others here. The Lord knows I could use a lot of improvement. But at the same time trying to force someone to change or come around to another's way of thinking by dishing out negative ratings is probably going to have the opposite effect.

My thing is if you want to ignore me fine. Ignore me. If you think I deserve a negative rating fine give me a negative rating but don't put me on your ignore list then follow me around giving me negative ratings just because you can.

Personally think it's sneaky and dishonest.

The good thing about this system is if we have a change of heart or the Lord lays that guilty feeling on our hearts we can always take back any negative ratings we've given out. I say that because now I'm now feeling guilty and childish for giving out a few that I probably shouldn't have. :)

#39 poncho, Oct 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's for the purpose of illustrating the very point that was being discussed, Rolf.

You do remember what that was, don't you?

People who abuse the forum, basically.

Thanks for illustrating the point. I can't speak for RD, but I myself am glad you have participated.

Do you ever actually answer any questions posed to you? lol

Senseless? No, it makes a lot of sense to show others on this forum that if you get into the rut of going around making snide remarks and unjustified statements...

...someone might show up and ask you to your money where your mouth is.

;)

I like to think I do well in grocery check-outs.

I also tip good if I go out to eat. You know I've heard that wait-staff view Sunday as the worse day for tips?

So the perception of the Body is actually important to me, Rolf. When people do things that do not seem to present a Christ-like manner (and unjust accusation is one of those things, by the way), the entire Body should be bothered by that.

Maybe you're right, maybe coming to a discussion forum without an intention to actually discuss anything is the proper course of action.

Maybe just saying something is dumb just because you don't like someone is the proper course of action.

Maybe refusing to answer someone for something you accuse them of is the proper course of action.

Or maybe the Word of God teaches something else entirely, and every member has the responsibility before God to point out error.

But anyway, thanks for the participation in the discussion...maybe.

;)

God bless.