1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JMSR, Feb 4, 2010.

1. JMSR

JMSR New Member

So I want to get a new translation. I've got a KJV and am currently reading through the NIV, which I've always used. I attend a couple different studies during the week and would like a more literal version that's easier to read than the KJV. I was thinking maybe NASB. Any other suggestions?

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The TNIV is slightly more literal than the NIV. You could also consult the HCSB.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The ESV is very good. If you're looking for something that tends to have a more formal translation it might work well for you.

The NASU (the updated NASB...its usually what is available in stores) is good as well.

You should be able to read all of them and compare on sites like:

www.biblegateway.com

www.blueletterbible.org

Let us know how your quest goes. :)

4. JMSR

JMSR New Member

This verse in particular is what prompted me to think about it. NIV is either not clear or I just don't get it.

Eph 1:

NIV 10to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment—to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.

KJV 10That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

NASB 10with a view to an administration suitable to (A)the fullness of the times, that is, (B)the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him

TNIV 10 to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ

HCSB 10 for the administration [a] of the days of fulfillment —to bring everything together in the Messiah, (A) both things in heaven and things on earth (B) in Him. (C)

ESV 10as a plan for(A) the fullness of time,(B) to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Get the NASB or NASBU (updated). This is our pew Bible in church, what my pastor uses, and what we were told to use for my seminary NT1 and 2 courses.

I've used many versions - NKJV, NIV, NLT, New Century (briefly), and Holman Christian Standard. The NASB is my favorite by far, although I also use the NKJV.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've used and compared many versions. The TNIV ranks as my favorite. The NLTse and HCSB follow. However, I constantly refer to many other versions. The old Modern Language Bible is a sentimental favorite.(Old Modern Language?) You should check that one out JMSR.

7. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

As far as readability and literal I would say the NASB, but I like the ESV just as well. I'm not sure where the TNIV is considered literal or formal equivalence, I believe it to be more thought for thought in translation.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You cannot lose with the ESV :thumbs:

9. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

There are some versions that claim literalness in their titles (like Green's KJV3: Literal Translation of the NT). I can favorably recommend these two: the Analytical-Literal Translation NT (the ALT is based upon the Majority Text), and the Concordant Literal Translation NT (the CLT is based upon Weymouth's Greek text). If you must have a literal OT also, you could look to Robert Young's Literal translation (TR based).

Rippon is on target with the MLB (aka New Berkeley); also Norlie's NT, and Darby's version.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Why do you quote what I say to post your own comments?

11. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

I likewise suggest an NASB and/or the ESV. You will not be disappointed with either. Sink some money into a good print though, its worth it.

12. JMSR

JMSR New Member

I don't know anything about prints.

13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Put some money into a well crafted, well printed, high quality Bible...I believe that is the meaning.

14. JMSR

JMSR New Member

That's what I meant. I don't know what constitutes a well printed, high quality Bible.

15. God's_Servant

God's_Servant New Member

Try R.L. Allan

16. God's_Servant

God's_Servant New Member

17. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In other words, you get what you pay for.

While I'm not a big fan of the ESV translation, the publisher (Crossways) does a better job of printing and binding than Zondervan or Nelson. Are you looking for a study Bible or just a plain reader?

18. JMSR

JMSR New Member

I would prefer a reader, maybe with references. I don't really want anyone else's notes or thoughts in it.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had temporarily forgotten about the Norlie -- it's a good one. And I have Darby's. It departs from the RT a lot -- that's a good thing. My edition has such a tiny font. I wish some publisher would come out with bigger print.