1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New book for me

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Pastor_Bob, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Wow, now even the moderators are attacking the membership!

Are you, Sir, bringing into question the salvation of some one?

I am saved. Not that I profess it alone, but Jesus claims it right in front of the Father.:godisgood:

2. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

A good friend of mine also has this new book. he loves it!

many will bring David Cloud's works into their critical plateau and try to foul his work with tripe. truly sad.

3. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Now you bring up a subject for discussion: when the Lord inspired was it that one and only time or was it written down as a compilation of experiences and the time needed to consider what should be penned as the Spirit led?

4. pilgrim2009

pilgrim2009 New Member

Some good words.

The KJV produces good fruit [Matt 7:17-20]No modern translation can compare to the KJV when it comes to producing good fruit.For nearly 400 years God has used the preaching and teaching of the KJV to bring hundreds of millions to Christ.Laodicean Christians might favor the new versions [attack on Bibles snipped]

The KJV was translated during the Philadelphia church period [Rev 3:7-13].The modern versions begin to appear rather late on the scene as the Lukewarm Laodicean period gets underway [Rev 3:14-22]but the KJV was produced way back in 1611 just in time for the many great great revivals [1700-1800].The Philadelphia church was the only church that did not receive a rebuke from the Lord Jesus Christ and it was the only church that kept Gods Word [Rev 3:8].

The KJV translators believed they were handling the very words of God [1st Thess 2:13].Just read the King James Dedicatory and compare it to the prefaces in the modern versions.Immediately you will see a world of difference in the approach and attitude of the translators.Which group would you pick for translating a book?

The KJV exalts the Lord Jesus Christ.The true Scriptures should testify of Jesus Christ [John 5:39].There is no book on planet earth which exalts Christ higher than the KJ Bible.In numerous places the new versions attack the deity of Christ,the Blood Atonement,the Resurrection,salvation by grace through faith,and the second coming.The true Scriptures will testify of Jesus Christ not attack Him.

Source:

http://www.av1611.org/kjv/fight.html

God bless in Jesus.

Steven.

#64 pilgrim2009, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
  5. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And now God is using preaching and teaching of Modern Versions to bring the masses to Christ. When another 400 has passed, we can accurately compare notes.

Not all of us believe this pulling letters to real, physical Churches out of context and applying them willy nilly to support modern theories of dispensationalism is good Biblical interpretation.

And yet, when you read the Translators to the reader you see that they considered the meanest (worst) translation to be the very Word of God - unlike most modern KJVO's. They also spoke very highly of what many KJVO's claim as corrupt or non-existent - ie. the Latin Vulgate and the Septuigent (LXX).

I really should not feed the trolls by responding to this bunk, but William Tyndale and the translators of the Geneva Bible strongly disagree with you - any Bible translator in any language disagrees with you for that matter.

I have read far more reputable sources than these people and I still disagree with KJVO. However, I still use and love the KJV - I just don't believe what some people say about the KJV.

I have not read Cloud's book yet, but I am going to see if it is availiable at my local library before I buy it.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gilly located six manuscripts of the Provencal "Bible" scattered about Europe.

Two contain the New Testament, plus Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Wisdom and Sirach; one contains the NT plus Paul's Epistle to the Laodiceans; one contains the entire Bible, including Esdras, Judith, Tobit, Wisdom, Sirach and Maccabees.

Gilly, presumably because of the labor involved in collating the six manuscripts against the Vulgate, the RT and the Old Latin documents, limited his dissertation to the first chapter of John's Gospel. In that sample he found that the translators, while using the Vulgate as the base text, adopted readings that agree with Old Latin texts rather than the Vulgate 18 times.

Gilly also notes that three of the versions invariably replace "Son of Man" (Filius Hominis in the Vulgate) with "Son of the Virgin" and that one other copy uses the term three times when the Vulgate and the Greek call for "Son of Man."

7. Forever settled in heaven

funny, coming from you. but i sense evasion.

go ahead n explain if u can (betcha can't, though).

so, u're saying the KJB shdn't have been translated since the world already had the Geneva, Bishops, n Douay Rheims?

meh, double standards as usual.

and why worry abt the Islamists when we have KJBOs to sabotage God's Words in our Bible? what a lame diversionary tactic!

not really, but nobody's surprised that KJBOs can't read.

my point was simple: u were trying to separate Gen 1:1 (and every other verse) from the Word of God in other versions.

o yeah? tell me. i believe the KJB is the Word of God. ain't got no problem with that, but ... now tell me if YOU believe the NIV, NASB, TEV, and MSG are the Word of God. (betcha can't cos thou hissest :laugh:)

#67 Forever settled in heaven, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
  8. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another oddity Gilly found was that Logos/Verbum in John 1:1 was replaced in four of the manuscripts by Filh, "Son."

Gilley speculates that both this change, and the "Son of the Virgin" mentioned above were made in order to combat charges of heresy against the Waldensians. (He4 also conjectures that the Provencal translators may have been influenced by Cyprian's supposed quotation from I John 5:7 in which he uses "Son" instead of "Word.")

9. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Please forget the word "criticism" for a moment, and set aside the pious statements. Do you deny that Beza and ben Chayim necessarily collated, compared, and edited multiple ancient language manuscripts to arrive at their complete printed texts? (Hint: your answer should begin with either "Yes" or "No".)

10. franklinmonroe

I'd like to be sure I understand your question. I think you're asking whether: the biblical writers made themselves notes and/or made use of other sources and edited it all together at a later time; or rather that, they wrote it down more-or-less in a straight through manner from their memory (with aid of Spirit "inspiration", of course). Is that right?

#70 franklinmonroe, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
  11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pilgrim, stop spamming this thread.

12. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    One other note on references to the Waldensian Bible:

Some of sources may be conflating the early Provencal translations with the Olivetan version published in 1535. The Olivetan version, which was based on the TR, was in French, not Provencal, although it was commissioned by the Waldenisians.

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pilgrim:(Quoted from James Melton)The KJV produces good fruit [Matt 7:17-20]No modern translation can compare to the KJV when it comes to producing good fruit.For nearly 400 years God has used the preaching and teaching of the KJV to bring hundreds of millions to Christ.Laodicean Christians might favor the new versions [attack on Bibles snipped]

This horse feathers has been dealt with before. The LATIN VULGATE had a much-longer run than the KJV has had. And now, that tree has produced NEW fruit. AND THERE'S NO SUCH THING NOW AS A 'LAODICEAN" CHRISTIAN!

The KJV was translated during the Philadelphia church period [Rev 3:7-13].The modern versions begin to appear rather late on the scene as the Lukewarm Laodicean period gets underway [Rev 3:14-22]but the KJV was produced way back in 1611 just in time for the many great great revivals [1700-1800].The Philadelphia church was the only church that did not receive a rebuke from the Lord Jesus Christ and it was the only church that kept Gods Word [Rev 3:8].

The whole "7 church ages" thingie is a FALSE, NON-SCRIPTURAL DOCTRINE, invented in England by John darby, spread in the USA by a charlatan "pentecostal" televangelist, William Marrion Branham. it's a complete lie, a man-made distortion of the first chapters of Revelation. IT SHOULD BE VIGOROUSLY REJECTED AS MAN-MADE & TERERFORE FALSE BY ALL BAPTISTS!

The KJV translators believed they were handling the very words of God [1st Thess 2:13].Just read the King James Dedicatory and compare it to the prefaces in the modern versions.Immediately you will see a world of difference in the approach and attitude of the translators.Which group would you pick for translating a book?

Please note that those same translators whom you choose as the epitome wrote in their preface, "variety of translations is profitable for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures."

The KJV exalts the Lord Jesus Christ.The true Scriptures should testify of Jesus Christ [John 5:39].There is no book on planet earth which exalts Christ higher than the KJ Bible.In numerous places the new versions attack the deity of Christ,the Blood Atonement,the Resurrection,salvation by grace through faith,and the second coming.The true Scriptures will testify of Jesus Christ not attack Him.ilgrim

So does every other valid version. You cannot prove any differently.

Why repeat Melton's codwallop?

14. franklinmonroe

I appreciate the info, rsr. Much that is written about the "Waldensian" Bible is confusing. For example, the Olivetan version itself was one of several versions all essentially commissioned by "Waldensians" (if I'm not mistaken, which is entirely possible).

15. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

hence the Textus Receptus in the beginning stages to edit out corruptions.

Seems you like to validate anything that says it's an authentic manuscript and deny comparisons to prove that which is authentic as the inpsired word.

Nice addage there to say I speak "piously".

So are we to conclude the texts found are not to be criticized by comparison and anything acceptable?

You figure this out and decide what I answered you.

16. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I am certain they didn't just hap-hazardly sit down and start penning down the texts without careful consideration of the efficacious source.

Some came right out and penned, but all came through consideration else they weren't precise in their intention for writing.

Paul had a penman who recorded his dictations. I can only conclude the penman did ask questions as he recorded the Epistles for Paul as to what he was addressing, why, and certainly as a Christian gave a hearty "AMEN!" on occasions..

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been almost six months since you bought the book. Are there any tidbits you'd like to share with us?