1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New covenant scriptures

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Chowmah, May 28, 2011.

1. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

You obviously believe that God is finished with Israel...but that would be incorrect. The Church is not the "New Israel" therefore the final fulfillment of the New Covenant which God made with the house of Israel and the house of Judah (not the Gentiles) will occur when Jesus Christ returns to set up His Millennial Kingdom on earth in Jerusalem. The New Testament believers (Jews and Gentiles) are partaking of the spiritual blessings of the New Covenant right now. When no distinction is made between Israel and the Church, all fulfillemt of prophecy becomes blurred.

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Yes the Church is Israel. Always has been. The Natural descendants Israel, of Abraham are not the Children of God ! Rom 9:8

8That is, They [Israel] which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

And again, Jesus Christ blood fulfills the New Covenant [Matt 26:28], which ethnicity is of no regard within Christ.

3. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

That's very strange that you would say this....since the word "church" is found ZERO times in the Old Testament, but the word "Israel" is found 2,500 times in 2,227 verses in the Old Testament.

The first instance of "church" is found in Matthew 16:18 and is found 80 times in 79 verses in the New Testament .The first instance of the word "Israel" is found in Matthew 2:6 and is found 75 times in 73 verses in the New Testament.

There is no connection of the Church being Israel in the Old Testament...nor in the New Testament. So please tell me how has the Church always been Israel?

It gets redundant when Romans 9:8 is continually pulled out of context to "prove" that God has forsaken Israel and the Church has now replaced Israel (or according to sbm), the Church has always been Israel.

The New covenant with Israel promises that God will restore them to their promised land and give them a new heart to obey Him. This will happen when Jesus returns from Heaven (Romans 11:25-27; Zechariah 13). The New Covenant is not fulfilled in the church. Hebrews 8:10 plainly says the New Covenant belongs to "the house of Israel" In the meantime, the Church partakes of the spiritual blessings of the New Covenant through faith in Christ.

Now, back to the topic of the OP...the "New covenant scriptures". Sorry about the slight diversion.

4. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Try to keep the ones He still commands us to. Do fall short. Do you sin?

5. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Another gospel? Lets take a look at what Jesus says.

MARK 1 [14] Now after that John was put in prison, JESUS CAME INTO GALILEE, PREACHING THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD, [15] And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: REPENT YE, AND BELIEVE the gospel.

Jesus says repent and believe the gospel. There are those who claim they believe and yet have not 1st repented. So what are we to repent of before we can believe the good news of the kingdom? Sin of course. We are 1st to repent of sin. What is sin according to the new covenant scriptures?

1 JOHN 3 [4] Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Pretty simple. If your not transgressing the law, your keeping the law.

6. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

I agree with Freds Wife

ROMANS 7 [14] For we know that THE LAW IS SPIRITUAL: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

ROMANS 15 [25] But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints.[26] For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.[27] It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. FOR IF THE GENTILES HAVE BEEN MADE PARTAKERS OF THEIR SPIRITUAL THINGS, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.

7. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

MARK 1 [14] Now after that John was put in prison, JESUS CAME INTO GALILEE, PREACHING THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD, [15] And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: REPENT YE, AND BELIEVE the gospel.

Jesus says repent and believe the gospel. What do you suppose Jesus meant when He said REPENT YE! and believe the GOSPEL!

Seems Jesus is preaching another gospel thats not as you preach

8. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Hi Freds Wife
    I wasnt the 1st to check the old testament scriptures to verify the new

ACTS 17 [10] And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. [11] These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that THEY RECEIVED THE WORD WITH ALL READINESS OF MIND, AND SEARCHED THE SCRIPTURES DAILY, WHETHER THOSE THINGS WERE SO. [12] Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.

9. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Not good enough according to Scripture. (James 2:10) God says keep them all perfectly and completely. There are 613.

We all fall short and there is not one who is righteous. (Romans 3:19-23) This is the reason why Christ died on the cross. All sin was judged at the cross.

This would include you. If you say it doesn't, you have already broken ALL the commandments.

#69 Fred's Wife, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  10. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

There you go, breaking the commandments once again. There is only ONE biblical Gospel of grace. What you are promoting here is "another gospel", which is not the biblical gospel of Grace which Paul preached and taught.

Galatians 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Galatians 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Galatians 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

If grace is intermingled in any way with works, the Gospel is perverted, and there is no salvation in a perverted gospel. By adding works of the law to the Gospel of grace which Paul taught, you are promoting "another" (a different and perverted) gospel.

11. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

The Old Testament was all the Scriptures that was available "to search" at the time Luke wrote Acts. There was NO New Testament at that time. The only Scriptures the Bereans had available "to search" WAS the Old Testament. The Bereans were checking out Paul's teaching...not verifying the New Testament. This verse has nothing to do with the Old Testament verifying the New Testament...but it has everything to do with checking out the teachings of teachers with the Scriptures. Now we have the complete canon of Scripture.

Therefore, this reason is full of holes and doesn't hold water.

I agree, you aren't the first one to "check?" the Old Testament to "verify?" the New. Many have preceded you in doing this and continue to do so---and by doing so, pervert the biblical gospel of grace and promote "another gospel".

#71 Fred's Wife, Jun 15, 2011
  12. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Scripture please

13. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Jesus Himself said repent and believe. You never did explain what you repented of before you came to believe the gospel

14. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

DEUT. 4 [2] YE SHALL NOT ADD UNTO THE WORD which I command you, NEITHER SHALL YE DIMINISH OUGHT FROM IT, that ye may KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of the Lord your God which I command you.

This is truly ironical. This is being done now. Freds Wife wishes to diminished the entire old testament to make it easier to make the claim that we need not follow Gods 10 commandments. But the truth is the new testament also tells us to keep the 10.

2TIM.3 [14] But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee WISE UNTO SALVATION through faith which is in Christ Jesus.[16] ALL SCRIPTURE IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

ALL SCRIPTURE - Please FW, take the time to read what this new covenant scripture says. Like you said a couple of posts ago...the only scripture around at that time was the old testament. Do you believe this new covenant scripture that says the old testament scriptures make you wise unto salvation. Yes...no

2PETER1 [20] Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.[21] For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Seems the old testament was written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. Its not wise to ignore the Holy Spirit

MATT.13 [51] Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, Lord. [52] Then said he unto them, Therefore EVERY SCRIBE WHICH IS INSTRUCTED UNTO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is like unto a man that is an householder, which BRINGETH FORTH OUT OF HIS TREASURE THINGS NEW AND OLD.

#74 Chowmah, Jun 15, 2011
  15. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

True repentance is a supernatural work of God whereby a responsive sinner, being convicted by the Holy Spirit of his rebellion, turns to God from his sinful ways and trusts Jesus Christ for salvation.

I confessed that I was a lost, hell-bound sinner and trusted in Christ ALONE for my salvation. I realized there was NO WORK I could do to save me from a devil's hell and it was only by the grace of God through faith in what Christ had ALREADY DONE on the cross that saves sinners (as we all are).

Salvation is not working; it is RESTING on the WORK of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

16. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Well if that were true maybe you can explain what these "new covenant" scriptures say if they are not saying what they are actually saying. This is the actual question of this thread which no one has yet answered. Some have pointed to scriptures which are speaking of circumcision but thats the best they could do.

So what do these scriptures say if they dont say what they

DO YOU WANT ETERNAL LIFE
    MATT.19 [16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?[17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS.[18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

DO YOU KNOW GOD
    1 JOHN 2 [1] My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: [2] And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. [3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

HAVE YOU BEEN TAUGHT “JUST BELIEVE” AND YOU WILL BE SAVED
    JAMES 2 [19] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: THE DEVILS ALSO BELIEVE, and tremble.

DO YOU LOVE GOD
    1 JOHN 5 [1] Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. [2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. [3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

DO YOU WANT GODS HOLY SPIRIT
    JOHN 14 [15] If ye love me, KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.[16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;[17] Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

HAS HEAVEN AND EARTH PASSED – YIKES! WHAT AM I STANDING ON?
    MATT.5 [17] Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.[18] For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

WANT TO BE ONE OF GODS SAINTS
    REV.14 [12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of God, and the faith of Jesus

BEEN TAUGHT DUE TO FAITH WE NEED NOT KEEP GODS COMMANDMENTS
    ROMANS 3 [31] Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

WANT TO ENTER THE CITY - THE 1000yr PERIOD OF REST
    REV.22 [14] Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city

IS GODS SABBATH COMMANDMENT GRIEVOUS TO YOU
    1JOHN.5 [1] Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.[2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.[3] For this is the love of God, that WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: AND HIS COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT GRIEVOUS.

IM all ears

17. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

And what is sin according to the new testament

1 JOHN 3 [4] Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

So if you turn from sin and sin is the transgression of the law....You are then keeping the law.

Pretty simple

18. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

PSALM 119 [126] It is time for thee, Lord, to work: for they have made void thy law. [127] Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold. [128] Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.

Well according to above scripture your not gonna like the work of the Lord Jesus when He returns and takes care of those have made void His law.

19. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

freds wife:

That does not mean anything, the word merely means a called out assembly. The Church was in Abraham, who was called out. Gen 12:

Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

2And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

3And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

4So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.

Scripture says He was called Heb 11:8

8By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

The word called is the greek word kaleō and it means here:

"to call anyone, invite, summon

This was more of a Divine Summons.

The same word is used in Rom 8:30;1 Cor 1:9;1 Thess 2:12; and Heb 9:15

The Heb 9:15

15And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

This is referring to the entire[Spiritual] seed of Abraham, who was to receive the promise of the Eternal inheritance ! His seed under both Covenants or Testaments.

This inheritance here Gal 3:18

For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

To Abraham and His seed, which is Christ vs 16 and believers vs 29

Gal 3:

16Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

29And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

This is the Church, Abraham's Seed, the called out ones. It began in the OT with Abraham and His seed in Him.

Christ is of the Seed of Abraham vs 16 and Christ is the Head of the Church. Eph 5:

For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Saviour of the body.

Now, the Seed of Abraham,Christ Gal 3:16, is the Head of the Church which is also the seed of Abraham Gal 3:29.

Christ was the Head of the seed of Abraham under the OT also. So Christ was the Head of His Church in the OT as well.

Even though Christ had not yet took on flesh and blood Heb 2:16

16For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

He still existed as the Head of the Church. In His Incarnation He was Manifested 1 Jn 3:8a

For this purpose the Son of God was manifested,

So, Yes, through diligent study and understanding that Abraham had a seed in Him when called of God Gen 12, then we can understand that the Church, Abraham's seed existed in the OT, it just was not called by the name Church. More like the assembly.

See Ex 12:6

And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.

Thats the word Church. In the greek the word Church is ekklēsia:

a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly

an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating

the assembly of the Israelites

So you see, that was the Church in the OT, God's Covenant People, the seed of Abraham and its God's Covenant People today, the seed of Abraham Gal 3:

29And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Hope this helps your understanding.

20. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The New Covenant is for Gentiles !

Who can read Jer 31:31-34

31Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Now who can read this and not see that these promises were not fulfilled through the Ministry of the Apostles and Particularly the Apostle to the Gentiles, Paul ? Paul wrote in 2 Cor 3:1-6

1Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:

5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

The Main Characteristic of the New Covenant was to give Spiritual Life, and that is promised in Jer 31:33

Christ Blood is that which confirmed the New Covenant Matt 28:26

28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

The same blood that purchased the Church Acts 20:28

28Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

So the House of Israel and house of Judah of Jere 31:31-33 is none other than the Church , which is comprised of both Jews and Gentiles in Christ !