1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Degree?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gang;

I have what may seem to be a "loaded question." I recently received a copy of the Memphis Theological Seminary magazine. (I did some graduate-professional work there in order to finish my MDiv @ The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary back in 1995).

As I looked over their list of Doctor of Ministry graduates, I perused the former educational credentials of the DMin grads. I saw a degree that I had not considered to be a "degree" before. This was the "L. Th." I also attended a liberal liturgical seminary (Episcopal) and I had seen the title after some of the priest's names but did not know it was considered an actual "degree."

Do any of you know what the degree "L. Th." is? Like I said, this is a "loaded questions."

Comments/observations.

Those of us in the narrow "Baptist realm" really do need to get out more often. HA!:tongue3: Maybe this will increase our understanding somewhat?

sdg!

rd

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Liberal now . . . . mmmm . . .

;)

Degree in Theological Letters? Like a D.Phil.? Would just be a guess.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Sounds good . . . but, who put up the wiki def.?

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "III EUROPEAN DEGREES

In Germany and at most Continental universities, only the doctor's degree is conferred, except in theology, in which the licentiate, or master's degree, is also presented. Granting of the doctorate is contingent upon the acceptance of a dissertation and the passing of examinations. The baccalaureate, or bachelor's degree, is usually not a university degree in Europe. In France, it is acquired by passing a state examination at the completion of secondary education; the only university-conferred baccalaureate is that awarded by the faculty of law.

Microsoft® Encarta® Encyclopedia 2003. © 1993-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."

From Encarta Standard 2003

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The summation about the degree being the Licentate of Theology is correct. It is primarily an European degree, as one stated, and roughly equivalent to the more familiar Master's of USA knowledge. It is not to be comfused with a 'standard' Th.G., which is normally a three year undergrad degree, a Th.B. (which could be about anything in terms of level), or actually the 'standard' Th. M., I don't believe, but I think would more equal a 'standard' M. Div., or the older 'standard' B.D.. Hope this helps a bit. Having shown my ignorance, more than occasionally, should I find something else, I shall repost on the thread. The L.Th. can have other value in other countries, outside Europe.

Ed

#6 EdSutton, Oct 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2006
  7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Degree Additional Info!

Gentlemen:

Thank you for the timely and insightful answers.

As most (some?) of you know, I attended The University of the South's (Sewanee) School of Theology. That is where I obtained my doctorate.

I have, therefore, developed a spirit of inquiry about what is done "outside the camp" of Baptists in general and Southern Baptist in particular (nice puns completely unintended) when it comes to graduate level education and degrees and such.

I would add just a few items of clarification to the above informative replies. It seems that the L.Th. "degree" can be obtained under certain circumstances if: The student has already received a master's level theology degree and wants to "receive orders" (ordination) in one of the the "high church" liturgical denominations. In this case it may only be a certificate. The student does not have a Bachelor's degree and matriculates directly into a L. Th. degree suited for aforementioned ordination.

That would fit nicely with Stefan's definition posted above and my experience at Sewanee's School of Theology. It is Episcopal but leaning towards the Anglo-Catholic tradition for sure.

There may be other circumstances with which I am unfamiliar. I did find it very interesting that this person that I noticed at Memphis Theological Seminary's graduation did not possess the BA or BS degree. That did set my mind to thinking.

This thread was primarily FYI!

More comments, inputs, and observations welcome!

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

#7 Rhetorician, Nov 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2006
  8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Even more evidence that this person was of European schooling. The BA and BS are (or at least were, although I think this is changing, of late) predominately North American and 'English', as opposed to Continental European. The LTh or another Master's level course is the first degree awarded by some of the European Faculties.

Ed

9. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member