1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New dispensation of salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Speak for yourself!

I turned to God from sin when He presented me the choice, praise God! That makes me a child of God, not the devil!

The Holy Spirit convicted me of my sin when the Gospel was presented. I realized I had offended a Holy God, and ran to Jesus for mercy!

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Show me the scripture that makes this distinction?

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amy, you've not (actually you can't) shown sozo to be used in the eternal sense. But you have brought in another word to consider: lost.

For the Son of man came to save that which was lost. How think ye? if any man have a hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and go unto the mountains, and seek that which goeth astray? Mt 18:11,12

But he answered and said, I was not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Mt 15:24

...Go not into any way of the Gentiles, and enter not into any city of the Samaritans: but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Mt:10:5,6

What man of you, having a hundred sheep, and having lost one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and his neighbors, saying unto them, Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost. Lu 15:4,5,6

Take note, they're sheep, not goats. Lost implies something out of place, not something bound for destruction. Show me, prove it to me, that lost means eternity burning in hell.

#23 kyredneck, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
  4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you turned to God from sin BECAUSE you were already a child of God. regenerate. known to your maker from eternity past. not once in your timely life were you out of His mind and out of His sight.
    In due time He regenerated you.
    That is why when you HEARD your Master's voice, you responded, because He quickened you FIRST.
    With or without you hearing the gospel, with or without a gospel church being in the vicinity of your timely residence, you will still be His property because He bought you with His blood.
    All this boils down to is: who is the leading man. you. or God.

5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Snowed, I'll show you, but it'll do no good.

personal insults removed

I submit to you Snowed, some scripture here for your meditation and reasoning [edit] concerning the effectual call and the gospel call:

When Christ first commissioned The Twelve (Mt 10, Lk 10), He told them:

“Go not into any way of the Gentiles, and enter not into any city of the Samaritans: but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

They were sheep already, not goats. Lost implies something out of place, not something bound for destruction.

Christ instructed them to search for those worthy, and for those sons of peace.

“...whatsoever city or village ye shall enter, search out who in it is worthy...”

“....if a son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon him....”

How did they become 'worthy sons of peace' prior to hearing and believing the gospel? By being born of the Spirit that blows where He wills.

“for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified: (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves; in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them);” Ro 2:13-15

How did these gentiles, described as DOERS of the law that had not the law, come to have that law written in their hearts? By being born of the Spirit, who blows where He wills.

“Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!” Jn 1:47

How was it that Nathanael is called a true Jew with no guile before he had even met Christ? By being born of the Spirit, who blows where He wills.

“But he that doeth the truth cometh to the light, that his works may be made manifest, that they have been wrought in God.” Jn 3:21

How is it that those that come to Christ are already doing the truth and have done good works from God? By being born of the Spirit, who blows where He wills.

“He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life;......” Jn 3:36; “.....He that heareth my word, and believeth him that sent me, hath eternal life,...” Jn5:24; “... He that believeth hath eternal life.” Jn 6:47

How is it that those that believe are already in possession of eternal life? By being born of the Spirit, who blows where He wills.

“I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon as among them that know me: Behold, Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia: This one was born there.” Ps 87:4

How is it that these gentiles outside of the covenant could have known God? By being born of the Spirit, who blows where He wills.

“.....For more are the children of the desolate than of her that hath the husband.” Gal 4:27

How is it that there were MORE of them among the gentiles than the Jews. They were born of the Spirit, who blows where He wills.

....etc., etc.

“........It behoveth you to be born from above” Jn 3:7 YLT

Christ was not implementing something new here. He was revealing a mystery from of old, something that had always been. The true Jew had always been he who is one inwardly, and circumcision had always been that of the heart, and the true children of Israel have always been those born of that Jerusalem that is above.

#25 kyredneck, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
  6. mets65

mets65 New Member

But the Bible shows people resisting the HS. Acts 7:51 shows this. That indicates to me a choice.

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heheh, Willis, I'll tell you the same as I did Amy, You've NOT shown 'sozo' to be used in the eternal sense. You simply can't do it.

8. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

That one is always overlooked, brushed under the carpet, or twisted to mean the Holy Ghost was not calling them.

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please, be fair to the context here. The Holy Spirit, through Stephen, is condemning/convicting the Jews of what they had done down through the ages, which was resisting the will of their God.

I will go through Acts 7 v by v with you in order to make this point if need be.

10. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

From a Calvinistic POV? NO Thanks

11. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Reformed theology doesn't teach that the Holy Spirit can never be resisted. As one Calvinist put it:

Calvinists do believe that men can resist the Holy Spirit. They believe that even the elect can resist the Holy Spirit, and do - but only up to the time when the Spirit regenerates their heart so that resist Him no more. The non-elect effectively resist Him all their lives.
    - http://www.oldtruth.com/calvinism/avoidingconfusion.html

That's the problem when we only look at a title and not what the definition teaches. Of course that's why I don't like the titles anyway.

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Well Ky-redhead, that's what I love about you Primitive Baptists, your love for other members of the body of Christ.

Only if I had cancer. But, knowing your unusual beliefs, which seem more like a cross between a Jehovah's Witness and a Church of Christ, I am surprised you even use medicine. I would think you would treat it like you do instruments in Church.

Like I thought, you got nothing!

This looks like a lengthy explanation to support a doctrine that is not taught in scripture.

13. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wouldn't know what love is if it hit you in the face. lol.

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Sure I would. All I have to do is the opposite of what you do.

You've plainly shown in the past that you only love those of your ilk. This isn't what the bible teaches as love, but it seem to be par for the course for Primitive Baptists

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

[personal insults removed]

#35 Luke2427, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
  16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

This, coming from you, is hilarious.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In other words: God, who can do all things, is effectively stymied by men.

I thought that's what the Armenians were guilty of saying?

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Not stymied- resisted. The words are not synonymous.

A gnat may resist my approach toward the barbecue ribs at the picnic but it cannot stymie it at all- an ox might not do better if the ribs are good!

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke - the phrasing was "effectively resisted." If you effectively resisted something, you prevented that thing from happening; i.e., you stymied (thwarted, obstructed) it.

Context, my friend.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Then, no, God's will cannot ever be "effectively" resisted.

It can only be resisted willfully, like the gnat that resists my trek to the ribs, but not effectually.

God worketh ALL THINGS after the counsel of his own will.

Isaiah 45:10 declaring the end from the beginning
    and from ancient times things not yet done,
    saying, ‘My counsel shall stand,
    and I will accomplish all my purpose,’

These verses also make this clear:

Ex 4:11
    Deut 32:39
    2 Chr 20:6
    Ps 103:19
    Ps 115:3
    Ps 135:6
    Isa 46:10