1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New dispensation of salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't tell me; it was jbh who posted a quote from a Calvinist....

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Then I figure he simply misspoke.

God would do some things if man would do some things and because man does not do some things God does not do those things- if that is what is meant, then I do not have a problem with the remark.

But it must be acknowledged that though God would do these things if man would do his part, God knows man will not do it and designed the universe in such a way that God's will will be performed to a tee even by the men who will not do what God knows they will not do.

Those men are still performing his will to a tee.

3. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

I'm a little late to this rodeo but what about Luke 7:50, "Then He said to the woman, 'Your faith has saved you'. Go in peace."

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What about it?

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Is that your answer in it's entirety?

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

"By Grace you are saved through faith..."

Grace (e.g., the work of Christ on the cross and the resurrection) is the essence of Salvation.

Faith is the vehicle by which it was "delivered" to us.

since God offers no other option by which salvation is "delivered" to us, it stands to reason our faith is required. If it wasn't, God would have made another way.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Do you believe men are born sinners?

8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Jesus rings our phone

He also gives us the faith to pick it up; for surely it is "not of ourselves, but the gift of God". " We are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works which God has before ordained that we should walk in them."

A bit before telephones: Saul of Tarsus, heading for Damascus, was not seeking Jesus. In fact, he persecuting Him. Jesus called, then there was Paul the Apostle. Paul later said he was separated from before he was born.

Salvation is of the Lord. Nothing has changed.

Selah,

Bro. James

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see sozo being used in the eternal sense here, just as in these similar passages:

20 and lo, a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, having come to him behind, did touch the fringe of his garments,
    21 for she said within herself, `If only I may touch his garment, I shall be saved.`
    22 And Jesus having turned about, and having seen her, said, `Be of good courage, daughter, thy faith hath saved thee,` and the woman was saved from that hour. Mt 9 YLT

51 And answering, Jesus saith to him, `What wilt thou I may do to thee?` and the blind man said to him, `Rabboni, that I may see again;`
    52 and Jesus said to him, `Go, thy faith hath saved thee:` and immediately he saw again, and was following Jesus in the way. Mk 10 YLT

17 And Jesus answering said, `Were not the ten cleansed, and the nine -- where?
    18 There were not found who did turn back to give glory to God, except this alien;`
    19 and he said to him, `Having risen, be going on, thy faith hath saved thee.` Lu 17 YLT

#49 kyredneck, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
  10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A prime example of sozo:

Take heed to thyself, and to thy teaching. Continue in these things; for in doing this thou shalt save both thyself and them that hear thee. 1 Tim 4:16

Are we to presume that Timothy up to this point had not yet acquired eternal life? Or are we to correctly deduce that sozo is not used in the eternal sense, but in the temporal [ongoing] sense?

[edit] Meant to include this:

23 And one said unto him, Lord, are they few that are saved? And he said unto them,
    24 Strive to enter in by the narrow door: for many, I say unto you, shall seek to enter in, and shall not be able. Lu 13

"Viewed in connection with Christ's immediately preceding teaching about the Kingdom of God in its wide and deep spread, as the great Mustard-Tree from the tiniest seed, and as the Leaven hid, which pervaded three measures of meal, we can scarcely doubt that the word 'saved' bore reference, not to the eternal state of the soul, but to admission to the benefits of the Kingdom of God, the Messianic Kingdom, with its privileges and its judgments, such as the Pharisees understood it. The question, whether 'few' were to be saved, could not have been put from the Pharisaic point of view, if understood of personal salvation......" Edersheim, Life & Times, Chap 20

#50 kyredneck, Jan 28, 2011
  11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. You twisted my words, that's why to me, you are a liar.
    I said I RESPECT those who are not of my faith, and who call on the Name of Christ like I do, that if I find myself within their congregation I will LEAVE WITHOUT ROCKING THE BOAT, or attempting to prove my doctrines right and theirs wrong.

But, you expanded that to mean I HATE others, and then you made it a blanket statement against ALL Primitive Baptists, when the truth is it is YOU who HATE Primitive Baptists because of ONE Primitive Baptist preacher who said something you do not understand, and because you do not understand the doctrine, instead of trying to figure out what the preacher meant, you went and concluded that we teach evil.

#51 pinoybaptist, Jan 28, 2011
  12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brothers, the name-calling and vituperation now regularly reaches levels not seen in years.

This thread is closed — I could remove all the offending posts, but there would be practically nothing left — and I suggest that we take some time to cool off and reconsider how our posts reflect on ourselves and this board.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.