1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Homeland Security Director

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Dec 3, 2004.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Heard this on Euronews this morning.

"The 49-year-old army veteran is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and used to work for the Saudi royal family. His tough image, which was honed in undercover drugs operations in Harlem, is seen as an asset as the US tries to increase security on its home soil. Kerik will replace Tom Ridge, who has announced his resignation."

EURONEWS SOURCE

Is this true?

If so does this give more fuel to the arguement that President Bush has some kind of ties to the Saudi Royal family? Or is it simply bad reporting on Euronews' part. Didn't have time this morning to look into it, but when I googled "Kerick Saudi Royal family" the first site on the list was Opra's website. Something sounds a bit dodgy about this part of the news story.

Thoughts? Clarification?

[ December 03, 2004, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: C4K ]

2. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

If it is true, it is an abomination. But not a surprise. The administration is pretty much a private club that has the biggest toy ever...America.

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

It wouldn't be surprising. But I'm skeptical that even Bush would do something like that.

I'd need more evidence than Oprah to believe it.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Just found an old CNN article

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/LOCAL/northeast/09/06/mny.police.commissioner/

with this quote:

"He dropped out in 1974 and joined the Army, serving as a dog handler in Korea. Then he worked in Saudi Arabia, training security personnel and coordinating protection for the king and other heads of state. He knows a smattering of Korean and Arabic."

Saying that, would this not be an asset? He would be familiar with the situation in the Middle East.

5. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Theorecticaly it would be an asset. But I'm skeptical. The two terrorist hotspots, in my limited understanding, seem to be Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. And it sort of seems that we cater to both of them and tiptoe around them. If the appointment amounts to any more Saudi influence in our government, it's not good.

But I don't know, and retract my previous jump to judgement with too little information.

6. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

On Oprah's site there is a quote from Mr. Kerik about his job with the Saudi family, he said, "I think I left Saudi Arabia with a different sense of internal pride, with a sense of honor and integrity that I didn't know and understand before I got there."

LINK

Another site says, "Kerik explained that he once worked for the Saudi's and that he is married to a Syrian, so he is in a good position to understand the radical Muslim mind."

LINK

Commissioner Kerik began his professional career as a member of the U.S. Army's Military Police, serving in Korea and in the 18th Airborne Corps where he trained Special Forces personnel. Following his military service, Commissioner Kerik traveled to Saudi Arabia where he assumed various security assignments, including protection for members of the Saudi Royal Family.

LINK

The infomation about him working in Saudi Arabia is also on the International Narcotics Enforcement Officers Association web site, it looks like Oprah's site is right.

Here is what Stephen Oliver's Mile High Karate, Inc. web site says about Kerik:

Bernard Kerik dropped out of High School at 15 – and, shortly thereafter began martial arts training – which he credits with helping turn his life around. He later joined the military – and due to his martial arts skills soon became the martial arts instructor for the elite forces, including the Rangers and Delta teams.

After working in Saudi Arabia for the Royal family, he returned to NY, first as a street cop, and then as the policeman with the task of cleaning up Riker’s island (and the rest of the NY prison system).

LINK