1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New King James Version

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by alexander284, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

This is mere gibberish. :eek:

[​IMG]

2. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

With all the new versions of the Bible, I have noticed confusion when memorization is done with children using different texts. It's kind of like all meat diet vs. all carb diet. They both work but after while you get confused on exactly what is a good diet. Same with the scriptures. There are so many "diets" of The Word out there that confusion is beginning to reign.

3. Craigbythesea

I believe that this is a very healthy thing. It certainly was for me because it made me curious about why one translation says “A” and another “B” and another “C.” And searching out the answer to this question took me to the Hebrew and Greek texts and to the study of textual criticism, Biblical exegesis, and translation theory, all of which taught me what a treasure we have in the Holy Bible and brought me to a very deep appreciation of the atonement of Christ.

On the other hand, those who stick with just one translation are much more likely to become just as brainwashed as a Mormon or JW. Intellectual stimulation has precisely the opposite effect of brain washing and encourages true, saving faith in Christ.

[​IMG]

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We have the parent choose which version they want their child to use in AWANA for memorization. Some choose NIV but most choose NKJV or KJV. Our 'listeners' honor each parents wishes. I'm 54 and learned scripture using the KJV. I now use the NKJV and find it quite easy to use.

5. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Diane -
    How do you handle the different versions when different clubs gather for Bible quizzing? I have some friends who are quiz leaders and they are really getting frustrated.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'm not sure how AWANA will handle this! We didn't send anyone this past year and previous years only a few kids used NKJV.

I'm the Cubbie Director for the last 2 years and many parents start out with the KJV and end up putting in little words to help their kids. I suggest they cut and paste the NKJV instead of making up their own verses.

I was glad when they said unto me, 'Let us go into the house of the Lord' does NOT translate into 'YEAH! Let's go to Sunday School!'

7. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Oh, ok, Diane, thanks! My friends are part of a pretty big region and go every year and all the different versions are getting a little too much to handle...it will be interesting to see if their regional director (don't know if this is the proper title) comes up with a solution.
    Yeah, let's go to Sunday School - LOL!! :-D nope, don't think that will pass!

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I would guess their AWANA Missionary would be the one with the solution. Since Cubbies don't go, I'd not even thought of that dilema!

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Diane...My, MY, you're getting old! (I turned 57 Friday!)

Pamela...The quiz leaders should choose a version BEFOREHAND & tell the others which version they'll be using for the next meeting, thus giving quizzer and quizzee time to prepare.

I've found it quite interesting to read a different BV through once every 2 months. Ever since I obtained some repro AV 1611s, I've read them through, Apocrypha and all, 3 times a year. (The Hendrickson Edition is hard for me to read easily; I am EXTREMELY farsighted & must use a very bright light and powerful reading glasses to see it clearly. If it were in Gothic print, I don't believe I could see it well enough to read it.)

I believe reading different versions helps one understand the "sense of the Scriptures" as the AV translators wrote. Many times the translators of ANY version had to make a choice from among the possible renderings, and to see the different perspectives is edifying to one's understanding. Thus, I have added the GENEVA BIBLE, complete with its footnotes, to the list of versions I study. I believe its translators were as astute a group of men as there ever has been to make a Bible translation. Now, while modern times haven't seen a Bible scholar like Myles Coverdale, they HAVE seen the accumulated skill and knowledge left behind by the likes of Coverdale, Tyndale, Andrewes, Foxe, etc.

Just because the NKJV is NOT rigidly bound to the Masoretic Text(And neither is the AV, contrary to popular belief!) nor the Textus Receptus doesn't make it a poor translation. God did NOT commit Himself solely to those two sources!

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Now, Now Roby! I'm still younger than YOU! Hubby will be 58 in August!

11. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

roby, my friends use only the KJV in their club but when various clubs get together about 3/4 of the way through the year for quizzing, you can imagine what happens....so I guess it would be up to the regional directors to set the rules for all the clubs in the region from the beginning of the year, I don't know......but I also see obvious problems with that.....

12. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The NKJV excluded 40% TR.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you give us two examples where the NKJV excluded the readings found in the TR? Not 40%. Just 2 will do.

14. Craigbythesea

I see that they did include this verse from Revelation:

Rev. 21:8. "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.'' (NKJV)

And my personal experience has been that “the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, [and] idolaters” are liars. :eek:

[​IMG]

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you give us two examples where the NKJV excluded the readings found in the TR? Not 40%. Just 2 will do. </font>[/QUOTE]No.... no he can't.... but he will avoid answering this question only to show up later to post the same lie again.

16. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

For what it's worth;
    It was for the reasons already stated concerning confusion amongst our kids with a multitude of different Bible versions that we opted for Master's Club instead of Awanas. MC uses only the KJV and we have not had any "confusion" problems since then.

(Please don't rail on KJVo. My intent is to contribute to the discussion with just one solution to the problem {among many solutions})

And, in order to "head em off at the pass", we have found that with younger kids, it doesn't matter WHICH version you use, you STILL have to explain certain passages they may be memorizing.

In HIS service;
    Jim

17. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess we've all had to deal with "house rules" in almost every facet of life.

I played baseball in many places in WV. OH, & KY when I left the NAV in '70.(Please don't interpret the following as bragging!)

Near Welch, WV. I hit a baseball so far that it would easily have been outta any fenced park I ever played in. The other team's outfielders just stood there & watched it go far beyond them. But that park had no outfield fence, and even though a teammate's shorter drive was ruled a homer, mine was NOT...HOUSE RULE said it was hit far beyond the bounds of the playing field, into a cornfield where fielding the ball woulda been impossible, so it was only a "ground rule" double. Shoot, WHAT ball hit well over a FENCE is fieldable? We played the rest of the game under protest, but it became moot, as we won easily anyway.

Seems as if these cats need to agree on ONE BV and stick with it for their classes. If they cannot agree, then I reckon proponents of each BV will hafta conduct their own classes. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is teaching kids the SCRIPTURES, whether from the KJV, NIV, or any other valid version.

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

To your last paragraph Roby, I agree whole heartedly. :D

In HIS service;
    Jim

19. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Can you give us two examples where the NKJV excluded the readings found in the TR? Not 40%. Just 2 will do. </font>[/QUOTE]No.... no he can't.... but he will avoid answering this question only to show up later to post the same lie again. </font>[/QUOTE]Ask Pastor Bob! I emailed him with document.

20. natters

natters New Member

Email me with document. I want a permanent record of this momentous occasion.