1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New KJV

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Askjo, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I realize this is not NKJV, but it goes toward the same direction. How can a King James be used by a Chinese person who cannot speak English? If they did it would be a very difficult second language? Do we not translate Bibles for other languages? English is no longer in the majority, especially when you consider all of the other languages.

2. mioque

mioque New Member

A lot of people have English as a second language but only few are skilled enough in it to use a KJV without considerable difficulty.

3. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I have never said that the KJV is the Bible for all people. The Chinese need to translate a Bible that is reliable in Chinese.

Before you ask, they need to us the TR and the KJV as a basis for this translation, in my opinion. But, I will let the Chinese decide for themselves what is best, as I will people from other countries who speak other languages.

As far as people who speak English as a second language having difficulty with the KJV, we have a man in our church who was saved I believe six or eight years ago. This man is in his early seventies and could not read when he was saved. He has literally taught himself to read using the KJV.

4. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Terry_Herrington said:

You would be the one to know about ignorance! You are willingly ignorant of the fact that the KJV is an excellent translation

On the contrary, I've never said otherwise. :rolleyes:

and the decision to use it exclusively is a wise one.

Now you've committed a categorical error. Your opinion, no matter how long you hold your breath, is not a fact.

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Terry_Herrington said:

I can't answer all the intricacies of how God does what He does, I just believe that the KJV is the best Bible in any language anywhere in the world.

Great! Do you get that burning in your bosom thing, too?

6. Terry_Herrington

Ransom, are you deliberately trying to be offensive? If you are, you are succeeding. If you cannot respond any better than this then leave me alone and use whatever version you want to use.

If you don't believe that God can and will lead a person concerning the things they do in this life, so be it. I am assured that God has led me to the decisions I have made concerning the KJV.

7. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Terry and I believe that God preserved His Words in apographs (Psalm 12:6-7). He provided us His Book for our mother tongue available today. It is the KJV.

If the manuscript and the KJV disagree, Why complain? You ask God, not me nor Terry.

8. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Terry, God provided His Words to all foreigners for their mother tongues. They have accurate Bibles as likewise we have the KJV for English-speaking. (Romans 16:26).

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

?

All foreigners Askjo? Every language has its own Bible? The only Irish translation avaliable today is translated from the RSV - is that how God preserved His Word for Irish speakers?

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

?

All foreigners Askjo? Every language has its own Bible? The only Irish translation avaliable today is translated from the RSV - is that how God preserved His Word for Irish speakers?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Not only is this true, but many of the so-called "unreached people groups" have languages that have never had a Bible. Many modern day missionaries have supplied them with NIVs translated into their language.

I am not saying that this type of translation is correct, but it shows a fallacy that every language has a "perfect" Bible.

By the way, when DID the KJV become perfect? Which version?

11. Terry_Herrington

Since this is the case, wouldn't the money spent for all the hundreds of new English Bibles be better spent if it was used to get a Bible in these unreached groups?

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's exactly what Wycliffe Bible Translators does.

13. Terry_Herrington

That's exactly what Wycliffe Bible Translators does. </font>[/QUOTE]How much of a better job could Wycliffe do if the millions spent on yet another English translation was given to them to translate Bibles in languages that do not even have a Bible?

It just shows that the motivation behind most new English translations is money.

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Since this is the case, wouldn't the money spent for all the hundreds of new English Bibles be better spent if it was used to get a Bible in these unreached groups? </font>[/QUOTE]You and askjo are really pushing the limits of this bulletin board. Don't you know the rules don't allow you to say an MV is not the Word of God? In fact, I'm getting a little tired of your attacks on the Word of God as I imagine others are, too. :mad:

15. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

That's exactly what Wycliffe Bible Translators does. </font>[/QUOTE]How much of a better job could Wycliffe do if the millions spent on yet another English translation was given to them to translate Bibles in languages that do not even have a Bible?

It just shows that the motivation behind most new English translations is money.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Would you guys quit taking these threads off-track. What does this have to do with the NKJV?

Besides, why do you think companies still print the KJV, its certainly not for the "fun" of it. It is because it just happens to sell well.

16. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    terry Herrington:I have never said that the KJV is the Bible for all people. The Chinese need to translate a Bible that is reliable in Chinese.

How magnanimous of you to allow them that privilege!

Before you ask, they need to us the TR and the KJV as a basis for this translation, in my opinion.

Why?

But, I will let the Chinese decide for themselves what is best, as I will people from other countries who speak other languages.

Again, how magnanimous of you!

As far as people who speak English as a second language having difficulty with the KJV, we have a man in our church who was saved I believe six or eight years ago. This man is in his early seventies and could not read when he was saved. He has literally taught himself to read using the KJV.

Didja read my post about the doctor from Korea?

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    C4k, I assume you're speaking of a Gaelic version?

Someone, Ziggy, I believe, reminded us that just about all Japanese-language BVs are made from the dreaded Alex mss. So, according to KJVO standards, I guess God doesn't care for a nation of 150 million people.

Terry...WHICH VERSION of the TR should non-English-using nations translate? There are only some hundred-and-three-ninety-eight of them.

18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Terry:How much of a better job could Wycliffe do if the millions spent on yet another English translation was given to them to translate Bibles in languages that do not even have a Bible?

Where do those millions come from? Bible sales, natch.

And Wycliffe might have several translators who know Greek, Hebrew, and English, but not one who knows Greek, Hebrew, and Slobbovian.

The Bible is now translated into over 2400 languages, including audios of several tongues that have no written language.

Remember, the AV 1611 bore KJ's TAX STAMP, placed in every copy by the king's minister of finance, Sir Robt. Cecil. He didn't do that to relieve a surplus of ink, I doubt.

19. Anti-Alexandrian

WRONG!!! What about Pietsch? He had a Receptus based Bible in Japan..And besides,the Alexandrian misfits have enough of the word of God in em' for a person to get saved;read II Tim 3:15.

20. Terry_Herrington

Where did I say this?

I frankly don't care what you are getting tired of! If you have something to say to me along these lines, send me a PM, otherwise keep it to yourself!