1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New law puts U.S. flag on display in every classroom

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by carpro, Jun 25, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0624flags0625.html

New law puts U.S. flag, federal documents on display in every classroom

Meghan E. Moravcik
    The Arizona Republic
    Jun. 24, 2007 10:16 PM

School officials across the state are hoisting flags and tacking up copies of the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights to meet requirements of a new law going into effect on Sunday.

Every public classroom in every school, from Grade 7 up to the college and university level, must display an American-made American flag along with the documents.

SNIP

"All students should be exposed to and learn about the flag, the Constitution, (and) the Bill of Rights as part of their studies. But just because it's hanging on the wall doesn't mean the students are really going to learn much about these subjects," said Shindel, a Phoenix resident. "I'd like to see the Legislature ensuring we have the resources and curriculum to teach these subjects."

2. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's a good start, but the ACLU will most certainly challenge it, probably on separation of church and state, deeming it religious instruction.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Documents - in Spanish?

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At this point, I think it's a good law.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I don't understand is the need for the law. We are talking about a school where you are supposed to be learning the three "R's".

OH, I forgot, they probably don't have time to teach Am History after the time spent on "safe sex", sensitivity training, dozens of hyphenated American heritage days, understanding why "W" is so dumb, taking time from class to participate in intramural sports, thinking it is so important to cancel academic study time to go out and "help the environment" , making sure first graders know how to utilize a computer:type: , counseling students why they should not proselytize their born-again religion on others, attending seminars on the Muslim culture and religion ...