1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New meaning for old verses

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Amy.G, Oct 15, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

npetreley,

You deserve a medal for your keen observation. :thumbs:

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

ad hominens , dont you guy know any other way to respond.

So having said what I said, I told her this is how I saw the very scripture SHE stated were 'elusive to her' unitl she began looking at another view. Try reading.

She set them forth to be talked about, and I have done so, WITH the admonition to search out both sides and come to her own conclusion.

However, in respose to your inane comment about a diatribe - there was nothing bitter or sharply abusive in what I stated, nor was it an attack against anyone, nor was it a critisism of her or her beliefs. But of course you only used the word because it sounded religiously intellegent. Now you can say THAT was a diatribe :laugh:

It is you who crack me up.

#42 Allan, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  3. Allan

Allan Active Member

And your staying up so late is messing with your observation skills :laugh:

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Don't you just love it! :laugh:

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actually, I sitting here at work and just took a drink of my tea as I read the comment above and almost spued it, then choked on it, from laughing. :thumbs:

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Well said.

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I thought that was Skypair's rallying cry? (No offence intended, SP. :) )

8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Amy,

I just read through all the posts. I rejoice in God our Saviour who has revealed such truth to you. While the detractors will make their arguments against such doctrines, I wanted to write a note of encouragement.

I think you will find the doctrine of election and predestination to be one of the sweetest most profound truths of Scripture to your soul. It has been for me. The effect of such understanding leads to an exalted view of Almighty God, reverance and awe for His Majesty, an abiding thankfulness and praise from the heart for His undeserved lovingkindness, and a fresh illumination of the height, depth, bredth, of the love of God the Father in Christ Jesus.

Understanding the absolute sovereignty of God over all things brings peace beyond understanding, perseverance under many trials, calmness in storms, and rest to the soul. The doctrine of election invigorates evangelism and provides an endurance and perseverance in it that is unshakeable. I pray you find an abiding confidence to preach the Gospel to every creature under heaven KNOWING your labor is not in vain.

I also pray that those who seek to dislodge you from your growing conviction in the Word of God on this matter will be to you hammers to drive the nails of truth firmly in your heart.

May the grace and peace of God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ be with you abundantly today.

RB

9. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether all this is true or not, it does not make any difference in what we are supposed to do as believers. And that is, "Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature."

God may know who the elect are (if there is an elect), but we are not privy to the list. So we have to give the Gospel to everyone, and see who the Holy Spirit convicts. Election has been used in the past as a excuse for not preaching the Gospel, since it was believed those "who will be saved will be saved," with or without our help.

So why waste time debating it? Get out there and preach the Gospelto all, and let God sort 'em out!

10. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

There is a sense in which I could agree with this Debby, but another sense which I cannot. The Scripture teaches election, predestination, atonement, et. Therefore, the doctrines are important. If they were marginal, then why would the Lord give so much attention to them in Holy Scripture?

THe doctrines are profitable to every believer and should be taught frequently.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Allan, if I didn't have a teachable heart, I wouldn't even be looking into this. :) I would just stay put on the free-will side.
    I have already been on one side of the coin for my entire Christian life. I am now exploring the other side.

Your post shows many elements of election :)

Actually what I see is those that did not believe were not given to Christ by the Father. (vs. 37)

12. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Hey Amy. I pray that the revelation of truth does to you what it did for me. The Bible came together in such a cohesive manner ... and His truth came across like never before. The Bible now reads upon my heart in a way that it never could when I believed in "free will." To understand that God loved me just as I am, and sent His Son to die for me... not because of anything or any decision I made... but by His mercy and grace... set me free. Praise God!

13. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Hi Amy,
    I just wanted to ask you what you are currently defining as "free-will"?
    You said this in a post to Webdog and he then agreed with you in his next post.
    Do you think his idea of "free-will" and your current understanding of "free-will" are one and the same?

Calvinists will affirm that humans do have a free will. But we define it differently than the non-Calvinists.
    Jonathan Edwards in his book The Freedom of the Will is often credited with establishing the definition Calvinists use.
    If you are already familar with this defintion, I won't belabor the differences to you.
    But be aware, that the non-Calvinist's use of "free-will" does not work alongside of election or predestination.
    Non-Calvinists assume that the terms "human responsibility" and "free-will" are synonyms of each other for both sides. I don't believe they are. I prefer to say that man is "accountable/responsible' before God yet does not have the "free-will" that non-Calvinists ascribe to.

I hope I haven't confused you with all this stuff.
    :)

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I can't speak to what WD views as free will, but I what I meant was that free will exists and predistination exists. Predestination implies that God's will must override man's will, yet we still have a free will. I cannot explain how this works, yet it's clear in God's word that they are both at work.

I do not know the definition of free will according to Jonathan Edwards.

Me confused?? :laugh:

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for another worthless post, James.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I still don't understand how you guys can claim to believe in "free will" when the will has been determined by God. A choice of one thing, and one thing only is not a choice. A choice consists of the abiltiy to chose between TWO or more things. If you believe in "free will" the will can choose freely.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Strange...because this is how I see it, too. Your camp does not hold the claim to "truth" :)

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Npet...does your claim apply to RB's post, too?

#58 webdog, Oct 16, 2007
  19. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Still? It has been explained to you enough. You should at least have an understanding of what we believe, even if you do not believe it yourself. I'll explain to you again. We act according to our nature or will. We are free to act within the bounds of our nature. God is free to act within the bounds of His nature. Its that simple web. It has been explained to you before. Of course you may argue that our will is not our nature.... :rolleyes:

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is no Scripture that supports your notion we only act according to our nature. That is man made false premise that calvinism needs for it to work.

You still did not explain how a will is truly "free", btw. You claimed to...but didn't. A "free will" in bondage is an oxymoron.

#60 webdog, Oct 16, 2007