1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured New Members Class - The Poll

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 26, 2013.

?
  1. Actually it should be several more weeks

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Yes, a 6 week class is a very good ideal

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Yes, but only 2 or 3 weeks is needed

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. A one day orientation is all that is needed

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Should only be optional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No need for a new members class

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. If a church required it, I would refuse to join.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. Not only would I refuse to join, but I would let others know they are un-biblical

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. Not sure

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. Other answer

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you are free to make that suggestion to them. The problem is that here in Florida people come from a wide assortment of baptist and other kinds of churches. If they are going to be participating members in this body of Christ, they need to learn how and why we do things. You make the assumption that they know, we don't assume.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

One, it's not just Florida that is the case. Two, ask a couple a questions. That should tell you what they believe and where they stand.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Acts 2: KJB
    41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Perhaps those with more learning than I have can answer this question. What other "faiths" require a period of study BEFORE they are accepted into that faith? Catholics? Mormons? Jews? Muslims? Others?

As Baptists are we adopting a form of legalism/indroctination being practiced by others, when we require formal training classes before a person can become a member of a particular Baptist church?

IMO......

A "new member" class, AFTER becoming a member, is a good idea. Whether from new profession of faith or a letter of transfer. Shouldn't a God called pastor be able to discern, with a "couple of questions" (at least to some degree) what's in the heart of a person standing before him? Personally, I believe that is the most important thing, when an assembly of believers is called upon to vote.

Next, once the vote is taken, isn't it the responsibility of the assembly to aid the growth in maturity of the new member? Classes, yes. That's just one of the ways. Classes do not remove the responsibilty of each individual member of the assembly -- the church -- to do the same. As Baptists, isn't that the core of this issue?

How many times, in this life, have we heard - It ain't my responsibility. That's Bill Smith's job! - ? Train em before we hire em. What happened to on the job training by dedicated co-workers?

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Some of the churches that I've seen use the deal of taking a new member under their arm and teach them or a less mature member and helping that person.
    Some of the churches that I've been in that the members seem to understand the Scriptures the best or small churches, why. It is up to each of us to be helpful to those who need help and to take the help of ones who are more mature(that is in the Lord) than we are. Classes I'm sure can help, but I don't believe anything beats one on one.