1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Orleans Baptist Seminary Underwater

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by preachinjesus, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Trapper

Trapper New Member

"Theology books maybe on second floor"

I wish it were so but in 2000 when I was last there all theology books were first floor. The second floor was music related books and tapes.
    The library is in the middle of the campus and if there was any elevation it was in the middle. Lets hope it's saved.
    I can't help but remember the big thing in 2000. "Should we move the campus or rebuild here." The took a year to decide and ending up spending millions to rebuild in N.O.

Bro Todd

2. Convicted by the Spirit

Todd, what happened in 2000? Hurricane?

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Convicted,

NOBTS made the decision to remain in N.O. so that they could engage the culture around them.

They did not want to retreat from N.O. like some others would.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bro. Todd,

I do not know what disaster preparedness plan was in place for the library ... I pray that they have insurance.

Pray against the humidity - mold will damage the books in days ... mmm ... probably already have. Pray for the students and their smaller libraries...

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

6. PastorSBC1303

http://www.baptistpress.org/bpnews.asp?ID=21518

Update on the semester from NOBTS, seems like they are going to do what they can to have a semester through internet classes and extension campuses with a target of reopening the main campus for classes in Aug 2006.

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Pipedude,

I don't think it would have mattered whether it was a Cat 3 or Cat 6. The surge was higher than is normal for such a storm, and that surge is what destroyed the levee.

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I couldn't help but notice that even though they were hit hard, they have an uplifting message.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That is a bunch of water.

10. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Isn't there a biblical warning about building on sand? How about building below sea level?

11. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if the books were not underwater, if there is any standing water in the same building, then the humidity will likely destroy the books before it dries out. The water will be there for weeks.

You should hope that they have their computer records backed up somewhere outside of NO.

12. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Didn't Tatertot's husband go there? I hope he didn't lose his dissertation materials.

13. PastorSBC1303

Yes, I believe he is finishing up a PhD.

14. NateT

NateT Member

SBTS is taking an offering up specifically for the students (and I suppose faculty) of NOBTS. I hope that will help them buy back some of the indviduals' books

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Charles

Yes, he did and was currently working on a doctoral program.

They are ministering in S Mississippi.

16. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

What a loss. I cannot imagine what sacrifice went into buying all those books and learning materials, especially when I was a poor college student struggling to buy my books. The folks are in my prayers.

17. RandR

RandR New Member

Based on a noaa satellite image that can be accessed at wwltv.com, (maybe the same one in the BP article) it looks like the library is on some of the highest ground. Though I imagine that the general moisture in the air is still enough to ruin all the bindings and probably most of the pages. It looks like the Leavell Center, Faculty Office Building, and Student Center "survived."

Pretty much everything north of the chapel is feet deep in water. Not in the satellite photo but per an ATS release, the old part of Providence House is "gone", too, which I am assuming--since it is off the ground anyway--means that it didn't survive the high winds on the first day.

18. RandR

RandR New Member

p.s.

If you have the patience to hit "refresh" for several minutes straight, the nobts website has a form for any individuals who might wish to offer temporary housing, etc. to displaced students and seminary family.