1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

new pc, new problems...help once more

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Aki, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    i have this new pc with the following specs (among others):

ASUS V7V8X-X (KT400 AGP-8x)
    Athlon 1.8
    40G Maxtor (7200 rpm)
    256 MB PC333 DDR
    Inno3d MX440 64ddr VIVO 8x

Now here are my problems:
    1. Sometimes installation of Window XP would not be successful, ending in a blue screen with those alien languages; yet sometimes installation will be fine.

2. in the event of a fine installation, immediately upon reboot Windows XP will present an error problem detected...

3. Random rebooting (i mean windows will just shut down and restart the system) last night it did that three times consecutively.

4. sometimes it will not detect the keyboard when i start it, though upon reset it will then detect it. (it's funny, it says: "Keyboard not detected... Press F1 to continue". now how on earth is that possible?)

i've searched to quite a number of websites and forums over the net yet no common solution was given. some says it's the PSU (power supply), some the RAM, V Card, Motherboard, but none has any conclusive solution. or maybe it's really just Windows itself.

can someone help me? computers don't really get to be as cheap here than there. help please.

2. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

You should try with a different power supply and memory stick. If you can, borrow a power supply and a stick of ram. Swap the power supply and try to reinstall Windows. If the problem continues, try swapping the ram and reinstalling Windows.

Something to try is to go into the control panel and into System. Then go to Advanced and then Startup and Recovery (click on Settings). Under System Failure, uncheck Automatically Restart. After you've done that wait for it to crash again. If it still reboots, it's probably the power supply. If instead it gives you a blue screen of death then it's probably the memory that is bad, but you should copy down the error mesage and then search the Microsoft site or Google to figure out what it means.

3. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Those codes can give a technical person insight to the cause of the issue. If it happens again, try to record just the first line or two. You don't need any of the hexadecimal numbers. Most important is the actual message in the first line which usually has the wording of the error.

The exact message you get here is very important to a technician. [​IMG]

Newer machines have controls for excessive heat. Even to the point of shutting down your machine without your consent, but not without warning.

A faulty power supply could cause this. Does the power actually go off and then come back on? One thing you can look for and report is whether the computer does a complete POST (Power On Self Test). That means, does it go through every thing like you just powered it on (that is a called a hard boot)? Or does it appear as a restart? A restart is very different and you will typically see less POST messages during what is called a warm boot.

In reality any piece of faulty hardware could cause this strange phenomenon. Try installing XP on the minimum hardware. All you need in there is a video card and some memory. Take out any extra add in cards.

You got me on that one. Is it a USB keyboard?
    Honestly, this one is the most strange to me. Try a different keyboard if possible.

Dave.

4. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dualhunter:

thanks for your input. i tried your suggestion last night (which is last morning to you). i unchecked the automatic shutdown in Win XP. and yup, it stopped rebooting by itself, only that it would regularly show the "blue screen", just as warned.

David Mark:

thank you too for your reply, and also for your reply in another thread that i posted. i'm going to the store to return the whole pc for them to see which hardware is doing wrong. the truth is, i tried to install WinXP on my other PC which is only PIII 500MHz, and it's fine, all the way.

i learned something from you two. thanks [​IMG]
    i think i'm starting to like to be a PC technician.

5. David Mark

David Mark New Member

During the interview for my current position, I was asked about my Information Technology career choices.

I responded honestly, unplanned and told my interviewer: I like this work so much that I would do it for free if I could afford to.

He replied: I've never heard anyone say that before.

I was surprised when they made me a great offer. It's a great job and I'm having some fun too.

I was just honest and of course, I prayed.

Dave

6. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

Since the rebooting stopped the ram could very well be the problem. You should copy the error message so that you can post it here or try searching for it on the Microsoft website and/or Google to find out what it means. Also now when it gives the blue screen instead of rebooting take note of whether or not the error message is the same/similar or completely different.

7. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Silly question: did the computer not come with free technical advise in the warranty? We got three years worth with ours.

Sheila

8. David Mark

David Mark New Member

You are very wise. I encouraged my parents to buy a name brand computer system and they also bought extra warranty coverage. It paid off and kept me from having to hop a plane to go down and fix an issue with their modem.

I put my systems together from scratch. I am the kind of person that you would call for support. So, I can skip the warranty, because if I cannot fix my own computer, it cannot be fixed.

Now, ask me to build a wooden fence in the back yard and I am in trouble. And this I don't understand about myself [​IMG]

Dave

9. John Owen

John Owen New Member

I certainly am a novice compared to the great help you are getting here... but I would like to add that one time I was having similar problems and it turned out to be a bad driver issue, and I found this out by going to control panel/system/hardware/device manager and looking for any exclammation marks beside any of the hardware... if so, maybe updated drivers would help?

and thanks for the help several of you have given, I learned some things as well

blessings all

10. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    thank you all for your replies.

i've checked with the store for the problem. they checked the whole system by playing an animated video, and it seemed to play smoothly. convinced that there is nothing wrong, they did not replace any part.

however, it started to once again reboot or crash with the blue screen everytime i play games using big deal graphics. what i did therefore was download a program called memtest, and tested my RAM. it did show that my RAM was faulty. thus, i went back to the store which on the spot replaced my RAM.

now the random rebooting was gone.

i still have a problem though. i am into computer gaming but every once in a while my game would crash and go back to windows.

i tried "sandra" and had my system go through a burn-in test, and each device passed. yet still my games would crash back to windows, though at different times. a while ago it did not crash, but the sound just went out, which went back after reboot.

researching in the net, these are the most common problems suspected for those with the same problem (and motherboard) as me:

1. the via chipset (or it's driver). there are those who say it's troubling the OS, and one might as well use the driver in Windows.

2. BIOS configuration. there was someone who said that his problem disappeared upon changing some items in the Advance menu of his BIOS, which include CPU Speed, Multiplier, Aperture Size, etc. well, i'm not knowledgable with the BIOS, and i have a different processor and VGA Graphics card therefore i am not able to follow what he did.

3. there are a number of complaints with my mobo that i've read over the net, though there are also who said that they have no problem with it.

my problem remains. help!

11. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Hi Aki,

I'm glad they swapped out the memory.

I wanted to reply to let you know that I am still interested in helping. But to be honest, I'm so overwhelmed with the issue that I can't make any good suggestions. I am not a gamer at all. So when it comes to games I am useless.

At any rate, I sympathize.

Dave

12. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

The problem is simple, You bought a PC with windows. Had you purchased a Mac, even with OS9 you would have never had any of those issues. [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

There are a lot of technical things that can make a 'bleeding edge' system not work well. (Though, I wouldn't call a 1.8G Athlon Bleeding Edge. [​IMG] )

I had a system once that rebooted randomly and had me going for weeks, literally.

Until I noticed it happened one day when the cat ran behind the desk.

So, I got to looking and the female end of the power cord seemed to have the metal contacts too far recessed. A small jiggle and loss of power!

I replaced the cord and fixed that problem. Lucky me.

However, memory modules are a different matter.

I work where we test Chip sets, and memory of all kinds has to be used to ensure that they will work when a customer finally gets their hands on a system with 'our' Chip Set...

There are several sets of memory that simply will not work on certain systems. And, all our tech gear can't tell us why, either!

{If you are not a tech (A very patient tech). Do a tech a favor and buy a pre-built guranteed to work, like you want it system.}

DDR and DDR2 are the worst offenders.

But, given the frequencies the memory is running at these days it doesn't surprise me that a little heat or a little cold would mess it up...

I know of no other company that puts as much pre-sales testing of it's Chip Sets than Intel.

If it's not simple...

I'd still bet against the motherboard. The Chip Sets are SO0000oooooo complex...

And, you've got an Athlon Chip Set...

So, I don't know how much compatibility testing it actually got before it was sold.

Sorry, I was an Intel proponent before I ever became a contractor.

14. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    thank you all for your replies.
    finally, it works stable now.

my first problem was the "blue screen errors" and random reboot of my pc. changed the RAM and the blue screen disappeared.

however 3D games crash back to desktop. changed the power supply from 300 to 400 watts and then the 3D games would not crash, but it needs my processor to run only at 1150 MHz, though the normal speed of Athlon 1800 is 1530. if i put it there, games will definitely crash back to desktop.

finally, the store tried a change in the processor, though with the exact same model. then, everything worked fine.

15. MsGuidedAngel

MsGuidedAngel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having 256MB of RAM will slow ya down a lot. I upgraded mine last year in 2003 too 1GB, it runs so much faster. I also run Windows XP - Home Edition. Be careful not all older programs work because it's based on NT technology.\

[​IMG]

Kristi Ann